Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ebola Crisis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was surprised that there wasnt already a thread on here about Ebola. What does everyone think? Is this a serious threat or not?
Yes it is most certainly a serious threat!!! And if we don't get our heads out of our collective butts, it will be worse than serious.
I will admit that I am no politician; however, if I am reading some news sources correctly, we are not going to curtail air travel from Lyberia because of the negative impact it would have on African economics.

Am I understanding that correctly?
Ebola has a 90% death rate to whoever gets it. Very scary, but I am hearing that possible medications are being formed to try and stop this epidemic.
Granny Bear Wrote:I will admit that I am no politician; however, if I am reading some news sources correctly, we are not going to curtail air travel from Lyberia because of the negative impact it would have on African economics.

Am I understanding that correctly?

I believe I heard something to that effect on Fox news last night but Im not sure that I understood it correctly because it sounded so crazy. I mean, putting American lives in danger to help the economy of Liberia sounds asinine. I think that the administration is viewing this as a much more viable threat than they once thought. It sounds like the President and CDC Director have been given incorrect information and they are looking into the situation more seriously. I understand that the President even cancelled a democratic fundraiser last night. When that happens, you know something serious is happening, LOL!!
^^
Nope, it's true and it was said by the CDC. Why they are more interested in African economics than Ebola spreading in the US is beyond me. Why America isn't demanding no flights from affected areas is also beyond me.

Here's another interesting article about a guy vomiting himself literally to death, while on a flight from Africa to JFK.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/17...ht-to-jfk/
Interesting article Granny! Sorry about your Bears. This one surprised me. I felt like they would get Whitley at home. Its going to be another tough one next week at Perry. They went to overtime with Letcher. I wish the kids well and wish some of the posters would cool it with the negative comments....the kids dont need to see that. Negativity breeds negativity. Its times like this when a person's true character is revealed. Sorry I got off topic a little, LOL!!
I'm surprised nky has not spoken up about it.
A lot of conspiracy around this.
Quickkickonthird Wrote:Interesting article Granny! Sorry about your Bears. This one surprised me. I felt like they would get Whitley at home. Its going to be another tough one next week at Perry. They went to overtime with Letcher. I wish the kids well and wish some of the posters would cool it with the negative comments....the kids dont need to see that. Negativity breeds negativity. Its times like this when a person's true character is revealed. Sorry I got off topic a little, LOL!!

Thanks Quick!! The Bears have had so many obstacles to overcome this year, but no excuses. We will do our best and move on. Afraid I had a "Come to Jesus Meeting" on the thread this week over all the negativity. We lost a great spiritual leader in Eddie Creech this week, too. But, now we need to focus on PCC and go forward.
I heard that. What happened to Eddie? Quitting something doesnt sound like him.
I know!! I was surprised, too. What's even more surprising is that I haven't heard the reason...
Ballers Wrote:I'm surprised nky has not spoken up about it.
A lot of conspiracy around this.

This....look up false flags and Jesse the Body Ventura conspiracies on youtube. It got my attention!
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/24...cial-says/

Okay, so we're supposed to be good little boys and girls, not panic and add to an already emotionally charged and terrifying disease that is spreading like wild fire.

Well, here's a radical idea.......DON'T TRAVEL. Or if you DO choose to travel, know that you will be quarantined for a month before you can be out in the public! That is, if our government ever grows a pair, and acts on this HUGE issue.

The guy in this article is a member of Doctors Without Borders......commendable! I have family that travel with this group, and their work is remarkable, selfless and truly commendable.

However, before being diagnosed with Ebola 4 days after entering the United States, this doctor jogged for 3 miles, went bowling and rode the subway. It was not clear to me whether or not he had treated any patients; he is an ER doctor.

He may or may not have infected anybody else...I can't imagine that he hasn't. BUT, the point here is for our government NOT to panic, but act responsibly. Had he been quarantined APPROPRIATELY, there would not be a question as to how many people he may or may not have infected.

The answer, categorically would be ZERO!
Perspective and respect... this is not africa and I believe the good guys/gals prevail and win...a large, very well resourced coalition will eliminate the threat.

And Granny it's not spreading like wildfire and you need to knock it off!!!
Tell that to the folks in western Africa.
Granny Bear Wrote:Tell that to the folks in western Africa.

I would like to think we handle ourselves and the potential spread of ebola more effectively in the United States than in w.africa...time will tell.

And yes my thoughts and prayers lift up the above concept!
Granny Bear Wrote:^^
Nope, it's true and it was said by the CDC. Why they are more interested in African economics than Ebola spreading in the US is beyond me. Why America isn't demanding no flights from affected areas is also beyond me.

Here's another interesting article about a guy vomiting himself literally to death, while on a flight from Africa to JFK.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/17...ht-to-jfk/

Granny, ftr there are no flights from affected areas to the US. And, no it isn't about preserving Africas economy. What the world better do is help cure the problem in Africa. It's a global problem if we don't get it fixed over there.
I couldn't agree more! However, the director of the CDC DID say that it was a matter of African economics that lends itself to not limit flights. I'm not saying that Ebola is spreading like wildfire here, but with a "projected" case load of 10K per week in Africa, that sure sounds like wildfire to me.

AND, I'm not saying to not travel. But those who have been in the affeccted regions for whatever reasons, need to be APPRPRIATELY quarantined when coming back to where ever their homes are. At least in my opinion.

I hate to sound like a bitch here, but I just don't see the logic of sitting back and allowing something as serious as Ebola to get a foothold here.
^Absolutely. I think people that have been over there helping with people in the affected areas should be made to stay home and quarantine themselves, at least. I'm not so sure about how NJ is handling that nurse who is in quarantine, they are forcing her to live in a tent, with no shower, and a porta potty. She has no symptoms.
Well, that's just crazy. AND it's not an appropriate quarantine, IMO.

The ER doc from New York is being handled much better.
The New Jersey nurse threatened a federal law suit. CDC cleared her to go home.
Granny Bear Wrote:The New Jersey nurse threatened a federal law suit. CDC cleared her to go home.
Chris Christie went overboard there. She had no symptoms. The workers that go to try to help cure the problem, which WILL be global if it isn't fixed in the place it started, shouldn't be treated like her, or the other workers trying to help get a handle on this.
I honestly don't care if you appear to be 100% fine and show no symptoms. If you go over there and come back there should be a mandatory quarantine for at least 3 weeks. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
The doctor from New York showed no symptoms for 4 days after he returned. He apparently felt great, as he jogged 3 miles, went bowling, etc. I'm with Gut on this one (did I say that??), if you are in the area where Ebola is, then mandatory 21 day quarantine.

The military, despite Obama's wishes, already have this type of quarantine in place. I'm getting a little put off by the CDC, too. Who are they to dictate the questions about travel and that effect on African economics, and when pressured by a law suit threat, actually changed their regulations to allow that nurse to leave.

New Jersey and New York both have these state mandated quarantines. I don't think they are unreasonable.
Granny Bear Wrote:The doctor from New York showed no symptoms for 4 days after he returned. He apparently felt great, as he jogged 3 miles, went bowling, etc. I'm with Gut on this one (did I say that??), if you are in the area where Ebola is, then mandatory 21 day quarantine.

The military, despite Obama's wishes, already have this type of quarantine in place. I'm getting a little put off by the CDC, too. Who are they to dictate the questions about travel and that effect on African economics, and when pressured by a law suit threat, actually changed their regulations to allow that nurse to leave.

New Jersey and New York both have these state mandated quarantines. I don't think they are unreasonable.

:thatsfunn Obama is the Commander in Chief. They can't go against his wishes. If it was really against his wishes it wouldn't be done.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/28/politics/s...index.html

I meant that the military has decided on a quarantine even though Obama chose not to mandate one.

I'm not sure how I feel with someone having the Commander in Chief title and never served a damn day in the military.
I have the perfect solution to a lot of problems. When anyone in this country contracts Ebola, that person should be sent to the White House for treatment. Turn the White House into a hospital. Of course, those who live in the White House and those who work there should remain there to serve as proper hosts.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I have the perfect solution to a lot of problems. When anyone in this country contracts Ebola, that person should be sent to the White House for treatment. Turn the White House into a hospital. Of course, those who live in the White House and those who work there should remain there to serve as proper hosts.
I'm done here. They've let the loons at BGR run the circus.
Granny Bear Wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/28/politics/s...index.html

I meant that the military has decided on a quarantine even though Obama chose not to mandate one.

I'm not sure how I feel with someone having the Commander in Chief title and never served a damn day in the military.

Then you won't be sure about a lot of future "Commander in Chiefs". The last 3 haven't seen any military action. And if you say George W. Bush who relaxed stateside during Vietnam I'll laugh.

Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I have the perfect solution to a lot of problems. When anyone in this country contracts Ebola, that person should be sent to the White House for treatment. Turn the White House into a hospital. Of course, those who live in the White House and those who work there should remain there to serve as proper hosts.

Mature.
No, I won't battle about Bill Clinton; he was a draft dodger pure and simple...typical.

And, Obama??? :please:

At least W had a military record to defend...if you don't believe me, ask Dan Rather.
Pages: 1 2