Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hazing Bullying Initiations to be part of a team
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heard something very troubling. A Head Coach at a school allows his freshman to be bullied hazed and tackling dummies for the upperclassmen as part of initiation to be on the team. Freshman run the other opponents offense and or defense against his starters. Some of the rumors are very very disturbing and to graphic to be put on this forum. I'm just glad my kid isn't in that school system. Not sure how other schools handle the freshman class but at Ashland freshman practice beside the Varsity but not with them. It's no wonder why this school has one of if not the worst football programs in the state.
Our freshmen play jv and obviously play scout team. When you have a small school that is a normal thing. I don't think they are mistreated but they have to have someone to play scout team.
... scout team?
Raceland does the same thing. Jv runs scout team
Common for younger kids to play scout team. Most coaches will not let older kids a abuse smaller players. That is detrimental to development of players and young men
I recruited a player at a school once that had a coach that did something similar. Each senior was allowed to pick out a freshman everyday and at any time the senior felt like it he could cheap shot the freshman. The freshman team was running drills seperate from the varsity one day I was there, and the varsity had just taken a water break. As I was leaving I watched one of the seniors run at full speed and blindsided a freshman player in a drill. They are basically told they have to take it. It finally stopped when years later one of the freshman moms just happened to be walking the track during practice and she also just happened to be on the board. He was finally forced to resign. It was the craziest thing I'd seen up to that point.
baseball1974 Wrote:I recruited a player at a school once that had a coach that did something similar. Each senior was allowed to pick out a freshman everyday and at any time the senior felt like it he could cheap shot the freshman. The freshman team was running drills seperate from the varsity one day I was there, and the varsity had just taken a water break. As I was leaving I watched one of the seniors run at full speed and blindsided a freshman player in a drill. They are basically told they have to take it. It finally stopped when years later one of the freshman moms just happened to be walking the track during practice and she also just happened to be on the board. He was finally forced to resign. It was the craziest thing I'd seen up to that point.
That's the kinda stuff I'm talking about that is going on at this school and worse and it's not a small school but has a small group of football players. These are most likely the reasons why so many of their kids stop playing football.
Coaches sometimes forget they are supposed to be leaders and role models. I am grateful for ours not losing site of this.
T-CATS Wrote:Heard something very troubling. A Head Coach at a school allows his freshman to be bullied hazed and tackling dummies for the upperclassmen as part of initiation to be on the team. Freshman run the other opponents offense and or defense against his starters. Some of the rumors are very very disturbing and to graphic to be put on this forum. I'm just glad my kid isn't in that school system. Not sure how other schools handle the freshman class but at Ashland freshman practice beside the Varsity but not with them. It's no wonder why this school has one of if not the worst football programs in the state.

I heard similar rumors at a school here last year.
T-CATS Wrote:That's the kinda stuff I'm talking about that is going on at this school and worse and it's not a small school but has a small group of football players. These are most likely the reasons why so many of their kids stop playing football.

A lot of the hazing stuff died down due to the age of starting players getting younger and younger. However, at big schools you have to be pretty special to play as a freshman on varsity. In most other sports besides football you see freshman playing more and more and coaches aren't that willing to look the other way on hazing when its one of your better players. Usually hazing consists of carrying equipment and things of that nature. I don't know how somebody could think it makes sense to do that other stuff? If coaching staffs don't control it, you'll see it get worse and worse.
Coach should be immediately terminated as coach and teacher. He is putting a child at risk of injury. Football is dangerous enough without this kind of foolishness
We called it initiation back in the 90's. This happened everywhere at almost every school. It's just the way it was. One usually was jumped or ganged up on when they least expected it by all the upperclassmen when coaches weren't around either in locker room or the bus. Consisted of crotch shots, tity twisting, hard rib & kidney shots by 5 or 10 players for about 30 seconds. This happened in football and baseball. Remember it like it was yesterday. Happened to all freshmen & we all lived to tell about it. Didn't have laws back then telling you what to not do, but everyone knew when to quit.
This stuff has no place now days because we are raising a bunch of si$$y.
Coaches sometimes need lessons in Tort,
I can't tell if this thread/OP is sarcastic or not? There might be alot of 1A schools in trouble for "hazing and bullying"
Carrying equipment, being part-time water boy, sitting in the front of the bus, cleaning the locker room as part of freshman as hazing is okay IMO. There is a way to respectfully put "freshman in their place" so to speak.

With all the anti-bullying rules there is no pecking order nowadays. Kids cannot police themselves anymore in the hallways at school or in the locker room. There's definitely a fine line, between jokingly hazing someone and physically harming them though.

As a coach/teacher you cannot afford to lose your job over it. So while initiations used to be "team building" traditions that were passed on from class to class. Nowadays if somebody does get hurt, or goes over the line, then it will be the coaches' head on the chopping block.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Carrying equipment, being part-time water boy, sitting in the front of the bus, cleaning the locker room as part of freshman as hazing is okay IMO. There is a way to respectfully put "freshman in their place" so to speak.

With all the anti-bullying rules there is no pecking order nowadays. Kids cannot police themselves anymore in the hallways at school or in the locker room. There's definitely a fine line, between jokingly hazing someone and physically harming them though.

As a coach/teacher you cannot afford to lose your job over it. So while initiations used to be "team building" traditions that were passed on from class to class. Nowadays if somebody does get hurt, or goes over the line, then it will be the coaches' head on the chopping block.

I know of coaches in the past ten years that have lost their job on something like this the first time it happened, which is crazy to me. Once it is brought to the coach's attention, and then if he doesn't take care of it, I agree he needs to lose his job.

Before social media, it was common for coaches to deal with these issues "in-house" and it would never get out of the locker room. In today's world "in-house" doesnt exist, and sometimes the coaches are one of the last people to know? I think administration should give coaches the opportunity to fix the problem before they immediately can him?
School in New Jersey just had the remainder of their season cancelled by their administration for allegations of bullying.
NO NO Hazing went out in the 70ds.
Hazing has no place in high school sports, or any level of sports for that matter. IMO if someone has the guts to go out for a team, they should be accepted and valued as a player. Hazing wasn't an issue when I played. For the most part, we all got along. It is important for the success of a program if upperclassmen take leadership roles and mentor the younger guys showing them the ropes and teaching them how to be successful at a new level.
I just saw in the news on internet that a team had it's 20 year run in the playoffs ended this year due to an investigation into hazing. The cancelled the remainder of their season. This is their freshman, jv and varsity season.