Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Is Raceland relevant now?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is Raceland coming into their own or are Ashland and Lawrence County neither one as good as anticipated?

It's been hard for me to judge exactly where the ram stand at this point in the season. Ashland was extremely hyped coming into the season, and we were about a minute and a half away from winning that game. But now I have to look and say how good is Ashland. Coal Grove is a fairly good team, they are big strong and very physical, we made great halftime adjustments and were able to win that game soundly. East Carter, is weak, but Greenup County and Boyd County gave us some good line play to adjust to. We became a little lethargic though offensively in both of those games, and we failed to capitalize on turnovers created by the defense. Lawrence county was deemed to be pretty tough as well this year, their game with Fairview had me a bit concerned about both the game with the Bulldogs as well as the Eagles. After last night I'm not as concerned. But there again lies the problem I don't know how good either Ashland or Lawrence County truly are right now. All I know is I feel a lot better about the Raceland Rams and their chances of winning a regional title. It won't be easy because Pikeville is really damn good. I do however feel much better about things and I think that whoever comes out of the east is going to be able to be much more competitive in the title game. So what is everyone's thoughts on the Rams as well as the rest of the Eastis things are shaking up and heading into district play.
I haven't seen them yet but according to Lit ratings this was a pretty good win for the Rams.
Ashland could be 3-1 or 4-1 instead of 2-2. It's still a solid win. Lawrence is down somewhat or not achieving or playing up to potential. But if I was Raceland I would wonder why I scored so little against Greenup. The schedule has been weak so far but I still think Lawrence is a solid team that can still turn things around
Greenup is solid defensively and they want to run the ball and the clock. That score is no suprise.
I kind of feel the same about the Greenup game. Defensively they have held almost everyone to 2tds less than their average. So im not as worried about that because no one has scored over 26 points and that was a poor offensive night to begin with. After seeing this LC game again, I felt good about not playing down, once LC began to play flat. I think we are still a ways away from where we CAN be, but im comfortable that we are better than we were in week 2.
Raceland played really good last night but 7 turnovers killed the Bulldogs. You can't beat anyone turning the ball over like that. Raceland is a good football team but the Bulldogs shot themselves in the foot. I don't think last night proved anything.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Raceland played really good last night but 7 turnovers killed the Bulldogs. You can't beat anyone turning the ball over like that. Raceland is a good football team but the Bulldogs shot themselves in the foot. I don't think last night proved anything.

Actually, I think it proved a whole lot. LC was embarrassed on their home field by 5 touchdowns to a team they were suppose to be even with. Also, a team they beat last season, and at the time LC was also 5-0, but ended the season going 3-4. There seems to bea pattern . Every time LC is faced with any kind of adversity they fold. I'm sure Cecil is a great guy and he means well but I don't see things getting any better until they get a new coach.

This game couldve been worse if raceland didn't take out their starters. LC scored their last TD with their starters against Raceland's Freshman.
I think our biggest improvement was capitalizing on the turnovers and really causing turnovers by gang tackling and playing more physical than we had all season.
Rams are very good. Don't underestimate them
IMO, 1a shakes out with Mayfield, Pikeville, Williamsburg and Beechwood being the Top 4 and Frankfort, Raceland, Hazard and Russellville the next 4.. I think you could put 1 thru 4 in any order and 5 thru 8 in any order and you wouldn't get alot of aegument.. After these 8, Holy Cross, Paintsville, Fairview and Paris are the best of the rest..
^^^have to agree. I think the top 8 of that list are all relavant in having a shot to be in Bowling Green. Probably the most competitive 1A has been since 2008.
Baseball 1974 you're actually incorrect. Lawrence beat Raceland last season 38-35 on their homecoming so that's incorrect, and the Bulldogs were not 5-0 at the time because they had a loss to Fairview at home.

So like I said Raceland did play a great game and capitalized off many LC mistakes. They won fair and square. LC did shoot themselves in the foot a lot with 7 turnovers end of case.

Raceland has a good head coach. I know Mike pretty well and they have a lot of talent, and they play extremely hard which I love to see.
They've been revelant all along. They've beat the teams they are supposed to beat, and lost to Ashland but had chances to win if not for turnovers. Granted the schedule isn't filled with world beaters, but it's not like there aren't solid teams on the schedule. They aren't receiving the hype that Williamsburg or pikeville receive, because they lost several starters from last year's squad. I'm sure flying under the radar is fine with the coaching staff, because the kids will stay focused and keep winning. There's enough talent on the RAM's roster to play deep into the playoffs.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Baseball 1974 you're actually incorrect. Lawrence beat Raceland last season 38-35 on their homecoming so that's incorrect, and the Bulldogs were not 5-0 at the time because they had a loss to Fairview at home.

So like I said Raceland did play a great game and capitalized off many LC mistakes. They won fair and square. LC did shoot themselves in the foot a lot with 7 turnovers end of case.

Raceland has a good head coach. I know Mike pretty well and they have a lot of talent, and they play extremely hard which I love to see.

You might want to reread what I posted? It clearly says "a team they beat last season," which "they" is referring to Raceland. Also, the KHSAA has the Fairview game listed as a 1-0 win for Lawrence? So I wasn't sure what that score was?
baseball1974 Wrote:You might want to reread what I posted? It clearly says "a team they beat last season," which "they" is referring to Raceland. Also, the KHSAA has the Fairview game listed as a 1-0 win for Lawrence? So I wasn't sure what that score was?
Fairviews forfeit. KHSAA changed the scores to 1-0
baseball1974 Wrote:Actually, I think it proved a whole lot. LC was embarrassed on their home field by 5 touchdowns to a team they were suppose to be even with. Also, a team they beat last season, and at the time LC was also 5-0, but ended the season going 3-4. There seems to bea pattern . Every time LC is faced with any kind of adversity they fold. I'm sure Cecil is a great guy and he means well but I don't see things getting any better until they get a new coach.

This game couldve been worse if raceland didn't take out their starters. LC scored their last TD with their starters against Raceland's Freshman.

Now baseball1974! You see what you did there! You said something me and you agree on. What is this world coming too? :biggrin:
Slic Ric Wrote:They've been revelant all along. They've beat the teams they are supposed to beat, and lost to Ashland but had chances to win if not for turnovers. Granted the schedule isn't filled with world beaters, but it's not like there aren't solid teams on the schedule. They aren't receiving the hype that Williamsburg or pikeville receive, because they lost several starters from last year's squad. I'm sure flying under the radar is fine with the coaching staff, because the kids will stay focused and keep winning. There's enough talent on the RAM's roster to play deep into the playoffs.

I guess my biggest issue was really what I have seen for the last several years(really since 09-present) often times we seem lethargic and like we are going through the motions. BUT, over the course of this season I am seeing more and more grit. OL is really finishing off blocks and no one seems to be standing and watching. Our downfield blocking is really good. Defensively we started fast and seem to be getting faster. We are MUCH more physical across the bored. I guess all I can say we lack at this point is a good 4.5 breakaway back. But im fine with the likes of Walker, Snyder, and Christian, all of them are hard nosed runners. I also like that they are getting some read/option stuff with Young. He is a tough kid. Like that they are getting him going off tackle more than up the middle. I really like what I am seeing out of the Rams. I think we are better at this point in the season than we were this time last year. Much faster upfront. Looking foward to that Oct 17 match up with u know who and thh really looking foward to Halloween night at Tank Stadium. That game should really tell us what we can expect to do in the playoffs.
If connor messer stay healthy raceland has a chance to do anything they want. the boy is the best football player in the area imo. plays qb,wr,hb,kicks field goals,plays defense and makes everything look easy.
Messer is indeed a game changer. He can do alot. His numbers dont show it simply bc teams exhaust nearly all ofher deffensive efforts in attempts completely shut him down. But we have other guys just as capable. He has gotten tremendously more durable and reliable this season, lowering his shoulder and getting more yards after contact. The kid is deceptively strong.
Raceland is a solid football team nothing special just solid. I see them and pikeville playing for region title at pikeville and pikeville winning.
Regional final is a good year. You want to go further but most teams don't make it that far.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I guess my biggest issue was really what I have seen for the last several years(really since 09-present) often times we seem lethargic and like we are going through the motions. BUT, over the course of this season I am seeing more and more grit. OL is really finishing off blocks and no one seems to be standing and watching. Our downfield blocking is really good. Defensively we started fast and seem to be getting faster. We are MUCH more physical across the bored. I guess all I can say we lack at this point is a good 4.5 breakaway back. But im fine with the likes of Walker, Snyder, and Christian, all of them are hard nosed runners. I also like that they are getting some read/option stuff with Young. He is a tough kid. Like that they are getting him going off tackle more than up the middle. I really like what I am seeing out of the Rams. I think we are better at this point in the season than we were this time last year. Much faster upfront. Looking foward to that Oct 17 match up with u know who and thh really looking foward to Halloween night at Tank Stadium. That game should really tell us what we can expect to do in the playoffs.

The only team that worries me is Fairview. It could easily be a trap game. They have averaged over 320 yards a game passing the ball and Raceland is averaging giving up a little over 100 yards a game passing. If Fairview keeps that average they may give them a game? I think Raceland is the much better team both mentally and physically. Not only that, but their best athletes are in the defensive backfield. I think once they get by Fairview, it may give them all the confidence they need to knock off Ironton, who is an extremely strong team. Even if they lose to Ironton, they are coached well enough to make a strong showing in the post season. I am looking forward to the Pikeville/Raceland matchup possibly in the playoffs. It could be one of the best games of the year? If those Raceland DB's can shut down any passing attack that Pikeville has then they may have a shot at knocking them off? However, then you have the challenge of shutting down Pugh? Haha! They will need to decide which part of Pikeville's offense they want to try and contain and then commit to it. Otherwise Pikeville will do what they've done all year. I think Raceland is a team everyone should fear though. They have definitely earned that so far this year.
NASCAR Wrote:Raceland is a solid football team nothing special just solid.

Well solid is all it takes to win if the kids stay focused and keep buying into the game plan every week.
Who will be Racelands first opponent in play offs,
The 4th place team in Pikeville's district. Either Jenkins, Phelps, or South Floyd.

Raceland hasnt faced a truly balanced offense yet. LC became one demensional, Ashland had one big pass play but only completed 3 of 7 passes. Greenup wasnt muc of a passing threat. Coal Grove went into deaperation mode and for the 2nd year in a row let Raceland take advantage of their inexperience in the passing game. Raceland has however, faced some pretty good running attacks and managed to contain them without loading the box. This is huge and often under estimated and tbh, seldom is it discussed. BALANCED DEFENSE.

The ability to stop teams in the spread with 5 WRs from throwig by going 1 on 1 on the outside and either playing bump in the flats or a soft zone with your safety's and LBs, which Raceland does well. A fast defense will have this ability bc they fan make up ground when the ball is snapped and all of a sudden its a run. Raceland's DBs are just as good against the run as thy are the pass. If a team cant be balanced offensively, at this point in the season and beyond, Raceland, Pikeville, Wburg, and Hazard, will all beat them. These 4 teams, imo have as good of a shot at bringing a title back to the east as any team has in the last few years. The regional championships wilk be great on bot sides of the state .
I though Williamsburg played Jenkins last year first game of the play offs'\.
I said Jenkins when I should have said Allen Central, Jenkins is in Hazard's district.
Raceland is fine and doing well.