Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Paintsville Football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I would just like to add my two cents to what everyone is saying about the Paintsville Tiger football team. I have watched Paintsville play football for the past several years and yes they have had some great talent there and had great success, but I have read some posts to where it seems like some people can see the problem this year is in numbers (which I agree with). Football is all about numbers, if you don't have good numbers then it is hard to compete week in and week out regardless of what coach you may have. The thing in Paintsville is (in my opinion) it all revolves around BMR, if he is for you things seem to run fairly smooth, he will try and get kids to come out and play for you or whatever, but if he isn't for you then look out, and personally I think that has some do with why the numbers are down this year.

Then you have some people that is blaming the coaching staff for the year that Paintsville is having. I pose a question for you, wonder how well BMR, BUR, or CHUKE would have done this year. One would have to think that maybe BMR seen the writing on the wall, that this team was going to be young and inexperienced so he gave it up as fast as he got in????

Sometimes it is hard to face the facts that Paintsville is just down some this year and looking at it from a parents view, especially if your son is a senior, you hate it for your son that his senior year has went this way. That is why football is compared to life, it puts you in many situations that later in life you will be facing, such as when times get tough in a football game you can ask yourself have I given 100% every play or just some of them. Then later in life when times are tough you can ask yourself the same question and alot of times the answer you have given yourself in football will be the same answer you will give yourself in life. The game of football teaches young men how to deal, cope, or handle tough situations and being able to stand up and take some of the responsibility. Sometimes I think that we as parents, fans and onlookers are making it to easy for our young men to make excuses by getting on a site like this and pointing the fingers at everyone or everything instead of asking yourself what can I do to make things better. Just think if everyone took that approach in life how much better this world would be instead of just about everyone having an agenda.
:Thumbs: Excellent Post! Well said Scoop. There are so many life lessons that can be learned from the ultimate team sport!!!
TheScoop Wrote:I would just like to add my two cents to what everyone is saying about the Paintsville Tiger football team. I have watched Paintsville play football for the past several years and yes they have had some great talent there and had great success, but I have read some posts to where it seems like some people can see the problem this year is in numbers (which I agree with). Football is all about numbers, if you don't have good numbers then it is hard to compete week in and week out regardless of what coach you may have. The thing in Paintsville is (in my opinion) it all revolves around BMR, if he is for you things seem to run fairly smooth, he will try and get kids to come out and play for you or whatever, but if he isn't for you then look out, and personally I think that has some do with why the numbers are down this year.

Then you have some people that is blaming the coaching staff for the year that Paintsville is having. I pose a question for you, wonder how well BMR, BUR, or CHUKE would have done this year. One would have to think that maybe BMR seen the writing on the wall, that this team was going to be young and inexperienced so he gave it up as fast as he got in????

Sometimes it is hard to face the facts that Paintsville is just down some this year and looking at it from a parents view, especially if your son is a senior, you hate it for your son that his senior year has went this way. That is why football is compared to life, it puts you in many situations that later in life you will be facing, such as when times get tough in a football game you can ask yourself have I given 100% every play or just some of them. Then later in life when times are tough you can ask yourself the same question and alot of times the answer you have given yourself in football will be the same answer you will give yourself in life. The game of football teaches young men how to deal, cope, or handle tough situations and being able to stand up and take some of the responsibility. Sometimes I think that we as parents, fans and onlookers are making it to easy for our young men to make excuses by getting on a site like this and pointing the fingers at everyone or everything instead of asking yourself what can I do to make things better. Just think if everyone took that approach in life how much better this world would be instead of just about everyone having an agenda.
Nice post, its very rare in sports and life in general that when a person feels blame needs to be asessed they start with the person they look at in the mirror every day. I heard alot from paintsville fans that I talked to at the game about how JC was taking alot of theyre players but Id say if the truth be known those kids wouldve stayed had all this political mess hadnt took place. If theyre is one good thing from my selfish point of view that came from this is Coach Copely came to Pikeville because of this and Im glad he did.
PantherPride68 Wrote:Nice post, its very rare in sports and life in general that when a person feels blame needs to be asessed they start with the person they look at in the mirror every day. I heard alot from paintsville fans that I talked to at the game about how JC was taking alot of theyre players but Id say if the truth be known those kids wouldve stayed had all this political mess hadnt took place. If theyre is one good thing from my selfish point of view that came from this is Coach Copely came to Pikeville because of this and Im glad he did.

Well if they said that Johnson Central was taking alot of there players then that is crap. They probably meant that JC was keeping their players that Paintsville used to get when the JC program was at a mediocre status. Now that JC is gaining statewide respect, the kids are staying at home and not going across the creek.
Kayaker Wrote:Well if they said that Johnson Central was taking alot of there players then that is crap. They probably meant that JC was keeping their players that Paintsville used to get when the JC program was at a mediocre status. Now that JC is gaining statewide respect, the kids are staying at home and not going across the creek.

Rolleyes
Kayaker Wrote:Well if they said that Johnson Central was taking alot of there players then that is crap. They probably meant that JC was keeping their players that Paintsville used to get when the JC program was at a mediocre status. Now that JC is gaining statewide respect, the kids are staying at home and not going across the creek.

I have to agree with JC keeping more and more of their kids. If JC had been winning in 2001, 2002 and 2003 instead of going 5-25 in those years, most of the County kids that went to P'ville would have stayed at JC.

I have to agree, alot of kids in the past went to Paintsville instead of JC if they played football, because P'ville had the tradition and usually a much better season than JC. Now the tide has turned and JC is keeping those kids and starting a tradition of their own.
Old School Wrote:I have to agree with JC keeping more and more of their kids. If JC had been winning in 2001, 2002 and 2003 instead of going 5-25 in those years, most of the County kids that went to P'ville would have stayed at JC.

There weren't any county kids that played for Paintsville in 2001, we won the region with all home grown Paintsville boys. In 2002 a couple JC kids came over as freshmen. I don't know why this keeps getting brought up, according to JC those boys weren't good enough to play over there anyways. So why keep using this excuse. Boys leaving wasn't the problem, not getting the boys to play was the problem. That is why they are good now, because a good coach got the kids to come out and play. We could be saying the same thing about JC now with some of their better players coming from other schools but we don't.
The bottom line is that great coaches get great players!! That is why JC is winning. But in fairness to Allen, you can't judge a coach from one season, when the numbers and the talent are down. Now if Allen had inherited the team from last year and had a season like this one, that would be different. Time will usually sort these things out.

I will say one thing though, it wasn't the players that came to Paintsville that beat JC all those years. It was the JC kids walking the halls that refused to put on a helmet that beat JC all those years. JC has Matney and they had better do whatever it takes to make sure they keep him. But Paintsville's star will shine in the years ahead.
EKY Sportster Wrote:The bottom line is that great coaches get great players!! That is why JC is winning. But in fairness to Allen, you can't judge a coach from one season, when the numbers and the talent are down. Now if Allen had inherited the team from last year and had a season like this one, that would be different. Time will usually sort these things out.

I will say one thing though, it wasn't the players that came to Paintsville that beat JC all those years. It was the JC kids walking the halls that refused to put on a helmet that beat JC all those years. JC has Matney and they had better do whatever it takes to make sure they keep him. But Paintsville's star will shine in the years ahead.

Give gymtom (coach allen) a few years, he'll get the program back to where it used to be, he'll make a great coach
Jim Tom, not gymtom...but he is a very good sized fella.....lol.
IRISH4 Wrote:Jim Tom, not gymtom...but he is a very good sized fella.....lol.

my bad lol yea he is, his size suits his strength
JC is benifiting from Matney's best skill. Getting kids to participate. He makes an effort to get out in the school and talk to kids. He plays the best players and everyone who works hard has the oppertunity to play. He took alot of poor misguided youths from Martin county and made them into his best athletes at Sheldon Clark.
EKY Sportster Wrote:I will say one thing though, it wasn't the players that came to Paintsville that beat JC all those years. It was the JC kids walking the halls that refused to put on a helmet that beat JC all those years. JC has Matney and they had better do whatever it takes to make sure they keep him. But Paintsville's star will shine in the years ahead.

Exactly, that's what I have been trying to say the whole time. When you have players like TC Trimble walking the halls for 3 years that finally decides to play his senior year cause they get a good coach, look what happens. He signed to play college ball and played high school ONE year. Matney has got the numbers way up there now and I would say that there are still quite a few boys walkin the hallways that would be major contributors to the Eagles right now. That's what the problem has always been, so how bout the select few quit bringing this BS up every other day about JC KEEPING their players instead of them transferring across the creek.
TheScoop Wrote:I would just like to add my two cents to what everyone is saying about the Paintsville Tiger football team. I have watched Paintsville play football for the past several years and yes they have had some great talent there and had great success, but I have read some posts to where it seems like some people can see the problem this year is in numbers (which I agree with). Football is all about numbers, if you don't have good numbers then it is hard to compete week in and week out regardless of what coach you may have. The thing in Paintsville is (in my opinion) it all revolves around BMR, if he is for you things seem to run fairly smooth, he will try and get kids to come out and play for you or whatever, but if he isn't for you then look out, and personally I think that has some do with why the numbers are down this year.

one of the greatest post i have ever read on here and all of it is true!:thumpsup:
Redneck Wrote:There weren't any county kids that played for Paintsville in 2001, we won the region with all home grown Paintsville boys. In 2002 a couple JC kids came over as freshmen. I don't know why this keeps getting brought up, according to JC those boys weren't good enough to play over there anyways. So why keep using this excuse. Boys leaving wasn't the problem, not getting the boys to play was the problem. That is why they are good now, because a good coach got the kids to come out and play. We could be saying the same thing about JC now with some of their better players coming from other schools but we don't.

You may want to read the post again!! I said if JC had been winning in 01, 02 and 03 most of the players that went to P'ville would have stayed at JC. Tell me who said these boy's weren't good enough to play at JC, I've never heard anyone say anything like that. I believe the Guru made a comment in a previous thread something about there being a difference between being a tiger and playing for the tigers and P'ville didn't want anyone from across the creek.
Old School Wrote:You may want to read the post again!! I said if JC had been winning in 01, 02 and 03 most of the players that went to P'ville would have stayed at JC. Tell me who said these boy's weren't good enough to play at JC, I've never heard anyone say anything like that. I believe the Guru made a comment in a previous thread something about there being a difference between being a tiger and playing for the tigers and P'ville didn't want anyone from across the creek.

What does 2001 have to do with anything, there was only ONE player from across the creek that played for us then, and YES the coaches told him he wasn't good enough to play over there, that's why he transferred after 3 games into the season in 2000. In 2002 there were a couple but they were freshmen and they had nothing to do with our success that year. So where is your point here Old School, If JC would have been winning Paintsville would have still had the same success they did.
Redneck Wrote:What does 2001 have to do with anything, there was only ONE player from across the creek that played for us then, and YES the coaches told him he wasn't good enough to play over there, that's why he transferred after 3 games into the season in 2000. In 2002 there were a couple but they were freshmen and they had nothing to do with our success that year. So where is your point here Old School, If JC would have been winning Paintsville would have still had the same success they did.

JC went from 11-1 in 2000,to 2-8 in 2001, to 2-8 in 2002 and 1-9 in 2003 at the end of the 2003 JC was down to about 25 players. If JC had winning seasons during the 2001 -2003 seasons most of the kids that went from JC to P'ville in 2002, 2003 and 2004 would have stayed at JC. Do you see my point now?

Now would it have made a difference I don't know and really don't care!

By the way in one post you said no one from JC played on P'villes 2001 team then you said one did play on the 2001 team which is it none one or more?
damn lol 25 players???? i hear they have around 80 now?
Panther#42 Wrote:damn lol 25 players???? i hear they have around 80 now?

They've come a long way since the 2003 season!
yea thats for sure
Kyle Murphy played on that team from what I was told by another member.
Old School Wrote:By the way in one post you said no one from JC played on P'villes 2001 team then you said one did play on the 2001 team which is it none one or more?

Kyle Murphy played for us. Considering he is one of my best friends I never thought about him cause it just seems like he grew up and played with us all those years. One player, my bad. STILL, he left because JC coaches wouldn't give hime a chance to play. And if I recall correctly, all the JC folks went on the whole week leading up to the Apple Bowl that year about how they weren't worried about Murph cause he wasn't any good, well I guess he proved them wrong, he rushed for close to 100 yards in that game. Since you and Kayaker wanna bring stuff like this us everyday, why don't we talk about a few JC's transfer's. Blake Johnson, what if he would have stayed and went to Letcher Central with him being from Neon and all. The Dials boy that came over from Lawrence County, how much better would LC be if he would have stayed, what if Lawrence County was still the power they use to be, he probably would have stayed.
Old School Wrote:JC went from 11-1 in 2000

Yeah, JC went 11-1 when they had big numbers and good players. They barely beat us that year, hell if we wouldn't have came out like a deer in headlights we would have won, they beat us by 8 in 2000.
Redneck Wrote:Kyle Murphy played for us. Considering he is one of my best friends I never thought about him cause it just seems like he grew up and played with us all those years. One player, my bad. STILL, he left because JC coaches wouldn't give hime a chance to play. And if I recall correctly, all the JC folks went on the whole week leading up to the Apple Bowl that year about how they weren't worried about Murph cause he wasn't any good, well I guess he proved them wrong, he rushed for close to 100 yards in that game. Since you and Kayaker wanna bring stuff like this us everyday, why don't we talk about a few JC's transfer's. Blake Johnson, what if he would have stayed and went to Letcher Central with him being from Neon and all. The Dials boy that came over from Lawrence County, how much better would LC be if he would have stayed, what if Lawrence County was still the power they use to be, he probably would have stayed.

Wait the johsnon kid from JC is actually from fleming neon??when did he transfer there?
Redneck Wrote:Kyle Murphy played for us. Considering he is one of my best friends I never thought about him cause it just seems like he grew up and played with us all those years. One player, my bad. STILL, he left because JC coaches wouldn't give hime a chance to play. And if I recall correctly, all the JC folks went on the whole week leading up to the Apple Bowl that year about how they weren't worried about Murph cause he wasn't any good, well I guess he proved them wrong, he rushed for close to 100 yards in that game. Since you and Kayaker wanna bring stuff like this us everyday, why don't we talk about a few JC's transfer's. Blake Johnson, what if he would have stayed and went to Letcher Central with him being from Neon and all. The Dials boy that came over from Lawrence County, how much better would LC be if he would have stayed, what if Lawrence County was still the power they use to be, he probably would have stayed.
I can assure you that Dials would be right where he is today...the transfer had nothing to do with football. He is right where he needs to be and let's leave it at that.

So what's your point here redneck? All I said in post #6 is that if JC had been winning instead of losing during 2001, 2002 and 2003 seasons most of the kids would have stayed at JC nothing more nothing less.
Redneck Wrote:Yeah, JC went 11-1 when they had big numbers and good players. They barely beat us that year, hell if we wouldn't have came out like a deer in headlights we would have won, they beat us by 8 in 2000.

They barely beat 6 other teams during the 2001 season. Coming from behind to win 3 or 4 of those games in the 4th Qtr.
Leslie Co. 20-12
GRC 18-16
Tates Creek 18-16
South Laurel 30-22
P'ville 32-22
Clay Co. 20-14
Boyd Co. 14-12

The main thing is that they won these games.
Old School Wrote:So what's your point here redneck? All I said in post #6 is that if JC had been winning instead of losing during 2001, 2002 and 2003 seasons most of the kids would have stayed at JC nothing more nothing less.

They were winning when Murph left JC, they went undefeated, he left after the 3rd game of that season. He wanted to PLAY, and Paintsville gave him that chance.
cougar14 Wrote:I can assure you that Dials would be right where he is today...the transfer had nothing to do with football. He is right where he needs to be and let's leave it at that.

I don't have a clue why he transferred to JC and really don't care. My point is JC wouldn't be the team they are without him and the few transfers they have playing for them. Is it OK for JC to have players from other schools and not Paintsville, cause that's the way Old School and Kayaker make it sound. Noone knows why anyone ever left to go to Paintsville in past, so I guess they were right where they needed to be, so lets leave it at that. :Thumbs:
Pages: 1 2