Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Raceland 25 Greenup County 0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
final
Hideous. 5 turnovers inside the 30. Should have been 60-0. Greenup forced a few of the to's but Young threw some rough balls. Looked great in the 1sthalf then yet again went lathargic. Goina have to put games together, finished strong on the last possession. Rough game next week when Coal Grove comes to town. Gotta clean things up. We are a long ways away from a team that is ready to compete for a region title.
Rams are in the sleep walking stage of there schedule.When you play East Carter,Boyd,and Greenup in a 4 week span the team kind of goes to sleep.I don't think the Rams will ever reach their goals if they don't beef up the schedule.Just not a lot of teams on the schedule to get excited about.
This was another weird one to me, saw some good things, saw some bad things. I think some of it is youth and inexperience and some of it is playing down to your competition. I really thought this was gonna be a running clock kind of game. On to the next one.
Rams roll. Enjoy your wins.
I will say this...
Greenup Co has a good core of young LBs and DBs. They hit hard and fly to the football and did a fairley good job keeping Raceland from hitting the big play. Offensively though that same speed and atheleticism didnt translate. Raceland scored 25 pts...it could and ahould have been 50, possibly even 70 pts. But mistakes and turnovers stalled and ended drives. Hats off to Greenup Co though, they looked prett sound defensively. They simply couldnt keep themselves off of it though. The offense was held to several 3 and outs. I think they only managed around 90-100 yard of total offense.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:I don't think the Rams will ever reach their goals if they don't beef up the schedule.Just not a lot of teams on the schedule to get excited about.

Good grief...who do you want them to play? You can't play Johnson Central & Highlands every week. They're not going to travel over 100 miles to play someone outside their district (as the state frowns on this), and Greenup is a rival. I can agree with dropping Boyd & East, but it's harder than you think to pick up and add teams, not to mention teams that aren't 300 miles away.
Good Job Raceland! Unless LC wakes up I am dreading our game with you.
Slic Ric Wrote:Good grief...who do you want them to play? You can't play Johnson Central & Highlands every week. They're not going to travel over 100 miles to play someone outside their district (as the state frowns on this), and Greenup is a rival. I can agree with dropping Boyd & East, but it's harder than you think to pick up and add teams, not to mention teams that aren't 300 miles away.

My only issue is that we are losing Ironton and Coal Grove. Those are two hardnosed football teams that will really work our line, even if they are down. Russell will be a great addition again and while I dont know too much about them, Lucasville is a generally solid program if Im not mistaken. My only complaint is the west carter addition next year. Next years schedule, imo needs a few changes. Id like to see, and think it is logically possible to have something like this:

Ashland(great game even when Ashland is down a bit)
Russell(just like the Ashland game...good gate/payday solid program)
Fairview(district...good game)
Paintsville(district)
Lawrence County(things are on the up and up in Louisa lots of young tallent)
Lucasville/Wheelersburg(good SEOH teams with speed upfrong)
Prestonsburg/Corbin/Johnson Central(Solid programs that are competitive in their class and allow us to get some travel experience playing good teams)
Greenup(its a must no matter how good or bad greenup is)
Lexington Christian(was always a good rivalry)
Huntington High/Wayne WV(two WV powers year in and out)

I dont think any of these are too much of a travel distance, and a big step up in competition. I honestly think if the program wants to advance we are goina have to play some teams, that CAN AND WILL BEAT US, if we play like we sid last night. A team that commits 4 or 5 turnovers, shouldnt win the game. We won last night based on pure defensive effort and tallent. We play like that in district games and we will find ourselves in a tough spot.

Defensively I couldnt be prouder. Byrd is a good back and their. QB is a good runner to. We completely shutdown their offense. We just have to get the "going through the motions" out of our offense and keep up the level of intensity. We are 3-1 and in all 4 games went up 2+ scores and just sortof coasted. Now against. Ashland we woke up after going down big so this team is more than capable of pouring fuel on the fire and going off!!! But at the same time we have shown an ability to pour water on that same fire and go into a big lull.

I have full faith in the coaching staff and I say all of these thigs to say this.
We have WAY too much tallent and our line has worked WAY too hard to get where they are, to play with no emotion or urgency. Our running game keeps getting better and better, we just have to clean things up and keep the throttle hammered down more often. I love Raceland football and always will, we CAN be in the same position we were last year, one win away from Bowling Green, whether or not it happens is to be determined. The staff will get things together its just a matter of execution. Either way...GO RAMS!
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Ashland(great game even when Ashland is down a bit)
Russell(just like the Ashland game...good gate/payday solid program)
Fairview(district...good game)
Paintsville(district)
Lawrence County(things are on the up and up in Louisa lots of young tallent)
Lucasville/Wheelersburg(good SEOH teams with speed upfrong)
Prestonsburg/Corbin/Johnson Central(Solid programs that are competitive in their class and allow us to get some travel experience playing good teams)
Greenup(its a must no matter how good or bad greenup is)
Lexington Christian(was always a good rivalry)
Huntington High/Wayne WV(two WV powers year in and out)

I agree you don't get better playing inferior teams but Raceland wouldn't gain a thing playing Burg or Valley... Those teams are just too good. JC , Corbin , and Prestonsburg are great teams also but there's something to be said about Ohio football. Wheelersburg blew Ironton out of the water and have been beating them for years now. Then look at what Ironton does to these ky teams they face...
Raceland shut Ironton out last year. Lucasville Valley os rumored to already have a contract with Raceland. Idc if a team is just too good. Pikeville plays Belfrey every year, we play Ashland, both of us should get beat. But those games make u better. Get back with me after the Raceland/Ironton game. Going to Ironton this year and how we play their, will determine our playoff potential a great deal.
Not the same Ironton team that Raceland beat last year. Not even close.
I know they are better and i know we gotta deal with the 14 pt go ahead playing at Tank. I was simply stating that the "just too good" comment, didnt matter to me. Thats how the 1A powers got that way by playong teams that wete "just too good". Now they r competitive with and often beat those teams on their way to state titles.
muskie_266 Wrote:Wheelersburg blew Ironton out of the water and have been beating them for years now.

Per http://www.joeeitel.com and http://web.archive.org/web/2003030900014...eelersburg, you are incorrect.

Ironton leads the all-time series with 17 wins and 7 losses.

Wheelersburg has won the last 2 games, but...

Ironton has won 3 of the previous 5.
Ironton has won 6 of the previous 10.
Ironton has won 11 of the previous 15.
Ironton has won 13 of the previous 20.
Ironton has won 17 of the 24 games played overall.

2014 - @ Wheelersburg 42 Ironton 16
2013 - Wheelersburg 49 @ Ironton 12
2012 - Ironton 32 @ Wheelersburg 27
2011 - @ Ironton 42 Wheelersburg 13
2010 - Ironton 12 @ Wheelersburg 7
2009 - @Ironton 24 Wheelersburg 8
2008 - @ Wheelersburg 23 Ironton 22
2007 - Wheelersburg 39 @ Ironton 6
2006 - Ironton 24 @ Wheelersburg 21
2005 - @ Ironton 7 Wheelersburg 6
2004 - Ironton 21 @ Wheelersburg 0
2003 - @ Ironton 22 Wheelersburg 10
2002 - Ironton 24 @ Wheelersburg 9
2001 - @ Ironton 42 Wheelersburg 0
2000 - Ironton 10 @ Wheelersburg 3
1999 - Wheelersburg 10 @ Ironton 7
1998 - @ Wheelersburg 21 Ironton 0
1997 - @ Ironton 10 Wheelersburg 7
1996 - @ Wheelersburg 35 Ironton 6
1995 - @ Ironton 36 Wheelersburg 12
1995 - Ironton 41 Wheelersburg 8 - Neutral Field
1994 - Ironton 14 @ Wheelersburg 7
1983 - Ironton 28 @ Wheelersburg 14
1982 - @ Ironton 29 Wheelersburg 14
^^^people like to live in the now i guess lol
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:^^^people like to live in the now i guess lol

Winning 2 straight games is now "for years".

lol
Lol. We dont have to play title contenders each week, 1A schools for the most part dont have enough depth to do so. We just need to schedule some toss up games or atleast games with teams that keep us on our toes. When u dont have to play hard to win for several weeks, it comes back to bite u in the ass.
And one thing people don't understand is that when the Rams get into the playoffs they have two weeks of bad football teams to play,three starting next year.You have to factor that in when you put your schedule together.Two to three losses a year is what a coach should schedule for through out the season.Let them get beat and then build them back up again,keep them hungry with competition.Not playing 6 teams(+ two in the playoffs)your going to put 50 point on.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:^^^people like to live in the now i guess lol

It's pretty clear you are way more intelligent than myself. Technically years could be considered two or more than two. It's funny how a raceland fan is poking fun at living in the now bc that is exactly what you guys do day in and day out on this site. You compare yourself to local powers like you belong bc you've had some good teams as of late...I root for all local teams and hope they all have success, but you can't compare last year's game against a bad ironton team playing the the best team in Racelands history. Bottom line just be happy being able to compete with a not so great Ashland team granted a much bigger Ashland school. Maybe see if Burgs jv team is available?

PS I understand what your saying but I think a game like that might hurt more than help. I would lean more towards Mason Co, Newport, or if you want an Ohio team that will test you physically try a Portsmouth West or Minford
We had a series with Portsmouth West a few years back. They beat us at Portsmouth by a score of like 66-52 i think(obviously a defensive battle lol) then the following year we beat them with a running clock in the 2nd quarter at home the following season. Last year's team was the "best" by an accomplishment margin. But there are probably 3 or 4 past Raceland teams that would have probably made it to Bowling Green in this alignment. Some of which would have won titles.

And i cant speak for everyone, but I will never be happy to "just compete" with anyone. Too much tallent on this years team to "just be competitive". That is a mentality that spurns years and years of being around a .500 team or worse.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:We had a series with Portsmouth West a few years back. They beat us at Portsmouth by a score of like 66-52 i think(obviously a defensive battle lol) then the following year we beat them with a running clock in the 2nd quarter at home the following season. Last year's team was the "best" by an accomplishment margin. But there are probably 3 or 4 past Raceland teams that would have probably made it to Bowling Green in this alignment. Some of which would have won titles.

And i cant speak for everyone, but I will never be happy to "just compete" with anyone. Too much tallent on this years team to "just be competitive". That is a mentality that spurns years and years of being around a .500 team or worse.

I thought that was Portsmouth East that Raceland played a few years back.
Your are correct Ramcat. My mistake. Regaurdless, Muskie's argument of "too good", imo is incorrect. I am in no way aaying Raceland can beat the Johnson Centrals, Belfrys, Wheelersburgs, or even the Ashlands and Irontons year in and year out. I am simply stating that we have to beef up the schedule. We need atleast one more team who SHOULD beat us. Then we need to schedule some toss up games. Depth is an issue for many 1A schools, so go ahead and schedule some teams that are smaller, but still competiive. Somerset, Hazard, WHEELERSBURG, Lucasville Valley (if rumors are true) will be a great addition. We just gotta get away from Carter Co and Greenup Co.
Add those 3 games to the first 2 or 3 rounds of the playoffs and you only have 4 games to prepare you for the region/semis.
Greenup County is a game that should always be on Raceland's schedule. Raceland may have dominated it recently but that has not always been the case.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Your are correct Ramcat. My mistake. Regaurdless, Muskie's argument of "too good", imo is incorrect. I am in no way aaying Raceland can beat the Johnson Centrals, Belfrys, Wheelersburgs, or even the Ashlands and Irontons year in and year out. I am simply stating that we have to beef up the schedule. We need atleast one more team who SHOULD beat us. Then we need to schedule some toss up games. Depth is an issue for many 1A schools, so go ahead and schedule some teams that are smaller, but still competiive. Somerset, Hazard, WHEELERSBURG, Lucasville Valley (if rumors are true) will be a great addition. We just gotta get away from Carter Co and Greenup Co.

I did what most would do after shooting my mouth off I then chose to do some research. Lol. I gotta say I'm wrong... I guess it just seems like every Saturday I read the paper that it's always wheelersburg blowing someone out . The games I have seen them play they are a very good team but not the unbeatable monster I make them out to be. Burg scored two touchdowns in the forth quarter to beat coal grove last year by a score of 39-20. Which you know is a fairly comparable score to the Raceland game. As far as Valley you just never know how good they truly are bc the don't schedule anybody. They may go undefeated and struggle to make the playoffs in Ohio. As of late I don't think that's been the case they have had some pretty good teams. Just a heads up if Valley is put on your schedule and you go to their place expect the tank memorial treatment...
U know i appologize. That greenup game is always good gate for both schools and the series is pretty close. Greenups past few seasons have been pretty rough so i guess i forgot the big picture. That is indeed a game that needs to stay on the schedule.
muskie_266 Wrote:I did what most would do after shooting my mouth off I then chose to do some research. Lol. I gotta say I'm wrong... I guess it just seems like every Saturday I read the paper that it's always wheelersburg blowing someone out . The games I have seen them play they are a very good team but not the unbeatable monster I make them out to be. Burg scored two touchdowns in the forth quarter to beat coal grove last year by a score of 39-20. Which you know is a fairly comparable score to the Raceland game. As far as Valley you just never know how good they truly are bc the don't schedule anybody. They may go undefeated and struggle to make the playoffs in Ohio. As of late I don't think that's been the case they have had some pretty good teams. Just a heads up if Valley is put on your schedule and you go to their place expect the tank memorial treatment...

Hahahaha lmao. No big deal! I full expect that treatment from any crew in oh when a ky team is on the visitors side.