Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top 10 Programs of the last decade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When it comes to sports dynasties and historical info I really get drawn in. This got me to thinking, over the past decade what teams have been dynasties, or would be considered the top 10 programs of the past decade (only 2003 - 2013 no data prior taken into account). The criteria I used to determine my list is multiple state title appearances, win/losses, competition (very tough to gage) and general feel for how the last decade has played out.

[Image: trinity-ky.gif]
#1 Trinity HS Shamrocks
The Shamrocks have a strong case to anchor #1 on this list. Achieving an 8 - 1 record in State championships since 2003. Only missing the big game in 2004 and 2013. Over the years the Rocks are normally in the conversation for top 100 in the nation and best in the state but in 2011 the Shamrocks achieved something amazing, 4 of 9 National Polls crowned the Shamrocks as 2011 National HS Football Champions. Trinity continues to play top out of state competition and help raise the eyebrows to the quality of Football being played in Kentucky. During the decade examined the Shamrocks rolled up a record of 132 - 26 for an 84% win percentage against not only the best teams in KY but the entire region.

#2 Highlands Blue Birds

The only other team on the list with a case for number one. The boys from Ft. Thomas found themselves in the State Title 9 times over the last decade amassing a 7 - 2 record in the big game. In 2004 the Birds avenged a 44 - 10 loss from the previous season to end Chuck Smith's 5 year reign of terror and State Championship win streak. From 2007 - 2012 the Birds would rattle off 6 straight state titles dominating 5A (2007 - 20010) and 4A (2011 - 12) before eventually being upset in 2013 by Collins to end the streak. Over the decade the Ft. Thomas powerhouse racked up a 142 - 18 record for an astounding 89% win percentage.

#3 Bowling Green Purples
If this list were not to include the last 3 years Bowling Green would either be near the bottom of it, or not on it all. However the last 3 years have changed that and turned the Purples into one of the top programs of the last decade. Winning 89% of their games since 2003 the Purples really made their mark when the began a winning streak in 2011 that still continues. The last time Bowling Green lost was Nov, 12 2010 in a heartbreaking playoff loss the Christian Co. Their home win streak dates back to Sept, 24 2010 when they lost another heartbreaker to #1 on our list 14 - 12, prior to 2011 the Purples were 0 - 3 in State Championship games since 2003, they have righted the ship the last 3 years to bring their Big Game record to an even 3 - 3

#4 St Xavier Tigers

Historically you can argue for St X as one of the top 3 programs in the history of Kentucky football but since 2003 the Tigers have been "down" if you could ever really call a St X team down. Playing for 5 state titles in the 2003 - 2013 window they netted a 2 - 3 record. The Tigers fall a bit mainly due to the fact that they haven't seen the State Championship game from the field since 2009. A respectable 81% wins (123 - 28) is nothing to scrunch your nose at but it feels like the last 5 years or so St X has been more of a name than a force. They still make the #4 spot on the list based on level of competition they constantly play and provide.

#5 Central HS Yellow Jackets

Led by one of the top young coaches in the state, Central has made a name for itself since it's 2007 coming out season. Prior to '07 Central was just another name in the pantheon of tough Louisville schools. During the early part of the decade in question the Jackets had some great seasons (record wise) but could never get over that hump. That all changed in 2007 when Ty Scroggins took over the program. Constantly playing up against some of the best competition in the state the Jackets have the lowest win % on our list @ 72 as well as the worst overall record at 108 - 42. Those numbers are however a bit deceptive as the Jackets have only fallen to two teams in their class (3A) since the 2007 reclassification. Central has reached the promised land 5x this past decade walking away all 5 times with the golden trophy.

[Image: belfry-ky.gif]
#6 Belfry Pirates
(Will try to be objective on this one :-P )
The Pirates began the 2003 - 2013 stretch with back to back 2A state championships in 03 and 04 and the future looked bright with back to back state semi births in 2005 and 2006. 2007 saw the Pirates return to the Big Dance undefeated before loosing in a heck of a game against Central, a foreshadowing of things to come. The Pirates continued to dominate 3A East in 2008 rolling undefeated into their 6th straight state semi appearance before being upset by Breathitt Co in a heartbreaker at CAM home. 2009 saw the Pirates trend down loosing in the second round of the playoffs to a team they should have beaten and talk of rebuilding began. 2010 saw the Pirates return to form as the season went on and Belfry would return to play for the State Title against a tough Central opponent that beat them handily. The Pirates would play, and lose to Central 2 more times in the State Title game in some of the best games ever played before finally getting Title number 3 of the decade in 2013 to end with a 3 - 3 state title record. Winning 84% of their games over the span and racking up a record 133 - 26 with showings in the State semis every year but 2009. All of this without even mentioning their all-time winningest head coach and his accolades.

[Image: mayfield-ky.gif]
#7 Mayfield Cardinals
3 - 3 126 - 31 80%
Going into the research on this one I assumed Mayfield would be a top 5 worthy team. The numbers since 2003 however fully quantify them to the bottom half of the top 10. That's not to say the Cardinals have not had success. Winning 80% of their games over our span Mayfield found themselves in the State Semis or better in all but 2007 and 2008. Mayfield would play for the title 6 times from 2003 - 2013 breaking even at 3 - 3. Constantly fielding some of the fastest teams in the state and ofter playing up to tougher competition gives them a solid argument to be in the conversation for best in 1A almost yearly.

[Image: newport-central-cath-ky.gif]
#8 Newport Central Catholic Thoroughbreds
Bob Schneider led NCC to four state title games from 2003 - 2009 going 2 - 2. Many would think his exit from NCC in 2010 would spell rebuilding, for the Thoroughbreds, that wasn't the case winning 2 more championships under head coach Eddie Eviston, in 2013 the Breds would find a 3rd head coach in a decade leading them to a State Title appearance, which they lost bringing there record in title games to 4 - 3. Over the decade NCC won 79% of its games with a record of 124 - 33.

[Image: boyle-county-ky.gif]
#9 Boyle Co Rebels
You change the parameters on this time window but just a couple of years and the Rebels would find themselves squarely in the top 5. Boyle found themselves beginning our decade with the last of Chuck Smith's 5 straight in 03 and the end of the streak to Highlands in 04. Under new coach Chris Pardue the Boyle program would begin to crumble from it's mighty place at the top of the mountain. Larry French would enter the scene in 2008 and lead the rebels back to State Titles in 2009 and 2010, bringing their record to 3 - 1 in title games. Regardless of the 09 and 10 titles the program just didn't seem to have the weight to it that it did entering the new millennium. Racking up 121 - 28 record over the past decade to win 81% of it's games, a bunch of those loses in the final 2 years of Pardue. One has to wonder if not for Pardue's failed final two seasons if Boyle would be higher on this list.. Will the return of Chuck Smith bring back the powerhouse over the next decade? Only time will tell.

[Image: ray-az.gif]
#10 Beechwood Tigers
The toughest spot for me to pick on this list, so many teams can make a claim to crawl into this spot. The Tigers saw a great start to the decade going 3 - 1 in the State Title. Unfortunately for them that was all prior to 2009. Mayfield emerged as the Western powerhouse beating the Tigers in the State Semis between 2009 - 2012, unable to get over the Mayfield hump the Tigers failed to reach the state semis in 2013, the last 5 years coupled with rough years in 2005 and 2006 see the Tigers fall all the way to #10 on the list.

I really hope you guys (and gals) have as much fun reading over and tearing this list apart as I did researching it. Can't wait to see what the better minds in football have to say about the 2003 - 2013 window.
Bowling Green is 4-3 in the state championship game. They beat Highlands in 1995.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Bowling Green is 4-3 in the state championship game. They beat Highlands in 1995.

This is only over the past decade, 2003 - 2013. No prior history to 2003 is considered when making the list.
Nice read.
Ran across this old thread. If done over for the last decade 2005-2015 would the rankings be the same? If not who would you change?
Mayfield would get a significant bump with winning two more state championships. What they have done over last ten years is incredible.
Trinity, Bowling Green, Belfry and Mayfield would be top 4 over the last 10 years.
Mayfield faithful will grind their teeth at not being in the top 3.
I think I'd put Mayfield in 4th behind Trinity, Highlands, and Bowling Green, and Belfry at 5th.
Amazing how Highlands is falling out of this top tier. They were number 2 forever.
So this would cover 2007-present day 2016

Beechwood
106-30, 7 Semi-Finals, 3 Finals, 2 Championships

Belfry
117-21, 8 Semi-Finals, 7 Finals, 3 Championships

Bell County
101-25, 3 Semi-Finals, 1 Final, 1 Championship

Bowling Green
118-14, 6 Semi-Finals, 5 Finals, 4 Championships

Boyle County
101-25, 3 Semi-Finals, 2 Finals, 2 Championships

Central
95-41, 7 Semi-Finals, 6 Finals, 5 Championships

DeSales
95-36, 6 Semi-Finals, 3 Finals, 2 Championships

Hazard
106-27, 5 Semi-Finals, 2 Finals, 1 Championship

Highlands
122-19, 9 Semi-Finals, 8 Finals, 7 Championships

John Hardin
108-24, 7 Semi-Finals, 1 Final, 0 Championships

LexCath
91-41, 6 Semi-Finals, 2 Finals, 1 Championship

LCA
79-47, 4 Semi-Finals, 2 Finals, 1 Championship

Male
93-33, 4 Semi-Finals, 2 Finals, 1 Championship

Mayfield
121-17, 7 Semi-Finals, 7 Finals, 5 Championships

NewCath
98-39, 7 Semi-Finals, 6 Finals, 2 Championships

Pikeville
88-37, 2 Semi-Finals, 1 Finals, 1 Championship

Pulaski County
87-30, 4 Semi-Finals, 3 Finals, 1 Championship

Saint Xavier
94-32, 2 Semi-Finals, 2 Finals, 1 Championship

Scott County
106-22, 5 Semi-Finals, 2 Finals, 1 Championship

Trinity
113-23, 7 Semi-Finals, 5 Finals, 6 Championships
Mine, based solely off the numbers above

1. Highlands
2. Trinity
3. Mayfield
4. Central (May surprise people but numbers don't lie)
5. Bowling Green
6. Belfry (Belfry and Bowling Green are close but edge to BG on Titles although belfry has been to Finals more)
7. NewCath
8. Beechwood
9. DeSales
10. Boyle County
E's Army Wrote:Amazing how Highlands is falling out of this top tier. They were number 2 forever.

Let's not penalize the Birds too hard

Even despite a mediocre season last year keep in mind they won the title two years ago and reached the Semi's last year

Their resume over the past ten years is still the best in the State
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Mine, based solely off the numbers above

1. Highlands
2. Trinity
3. Mayfield
4. Central (May surprise people but numbers don't lie)
5. Bowling Green
6. Belfry (Belfry and Bowling Green are close but edge to BG on Titles although belfry has been to Finals more)
7. NewCath
8. Beechwood
9. DeSales
10. Boyle County
Looks good but I don't believe anybody in the mountains has ever seen a run like Belfry's been on I know they have in other parts of the state Highlands, Trinity, Boyle Co. Central all have but for the mountains I think this has been the top run so far
EKUAlum05 Wrote:So this would cover 2007-present day 2016

Beechwood
106-30, 7 Semi-Finals, 3 Finals, 2 Championships

Belfry
117-21, 8 Semi-Finals, 7 Finals, 3 Championships

Bell County
101-25, 3 Semi-Finals, 1 Final, 1 Championship

Bowling Green
118-14, 6 Semi-Finals, 5 Finals, 4 Championships

Boyle County
101-25, 3 Semi-Finals, 2 Finals, 2 Championships

Central
95-41, 7 Semi-Finals, 6 Finals, 5 Championships

DeSales
95-36, 6 Semi-Finals, 3 Finals, 2 Championships

Hazard
106-27, 5 Semi-Finals, 2 Finals, 1 Championship

Highlands
122-19, 9 Semi-Finals, 8 Finals, 7 Championships

John Hardin
108-24, 7 Semi-Finals, 1 Final, 0 Championships

LexCath
91-41, 6 Semi-Finals, 2 Finals, 1 Championship

LCA
79-47, 4 Semi-Finals, 2 Finals, 1 Championship

Male
93-33, 4 Semi-Finals, 2 Finals, 1 Championship

Mayfield
121-17, 7 Semi-Finals, 7 Finals, 5 Championships

NewCath
98-39, 7 Semi-Finals, 6 Finals, 2 Championships

Pikeville
88-37, 2 Semi-Finals, 1 Finals, 1 Championship

Pulaski County
87-30, 4 Semi-Finals, 3 Finals, 1 Championship

Saint Xavier
94-32, 2 Semi-Finals, 2 Finals, 1 Championship

Scott County
106-22, 5 Semi-Finals, 2 Finals, 1 Championship

Trinity
113-23, 7 Semi-Finals, 5 Finals, 6 Championships

How much it must suck to be John Hardin being the only program on this list with a 0 in the championship column.
Iam4thecats Wrote:How much it must suck to be John Hardin being the only program on this list with a 0 in the championship column.

In their defense there are other quality programs with nice win totals and Semi-Finals appearances, maybe even a Finals Appearance or a a Championship, that I culled out because they didn't stand a chance at Top 10 consideration

Another team I did not include is Fort Campbell who actually has 3 Titles thanks to Antonio Andrews. FCHS is what I would consider a statistical outlier.
If I had to rank 11-20

11. LexCath
12. Scott County
13. Hazard
14. Pulaski County
15. Male
16. St. Xavier
17. Bell County
18. John Hardin
19. LCA
20. Pikeville
Thanks for the research eku. I knew highlands would still be top 2. People forget that before the last 2 years of highlands being down for there standards that they won a state record 6 consecutive titles followed by a runner up followed by another title, which in my opinion is still the greatest 8 year run ever.
I seen on maxpreps that Highlands was number one or two in all time wins nationally
Hazard has been to the finals 3 times since 2007. Those years are 2008,2010 and 2011.
bac2369 Wrote:Hazard has been to the finals 3 times since 2007. Those years are 2008,2010 and 2011.

Did they have a 14 game schedule one year?