Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Campbell County 30 - Newport Catholic 17
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/h.../15170049/

Play in the trenches proved pivotal Friday night during Campbell County's 30-17 win over host Newport Central Catholic in a Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown contest at Newport Stadium.

The cross-county football battle got its initial score on a safety as the Camels took a 2-0 first-quarter lead when strong safety Kyle Edgley blitzed the right side and sacked NewCath quarterback Pat Henschen in the back of the end zone.

It was Edgley's second straight sack on a blitz, the Camels' third in a row and fourth of the half. The senior had another sack in the second half for Campbell County (2-1). The Class 6A stalwart totaled a season-high eight sacks against NewCath (0-2), squeezed Thoroughbreds running lanes and covered receivers while throttling their offense.

The sacks contributed to a rare negative-yardage rushing total for NewCath. The Thoroughbreds carried 33 times for minus-1 yard. They mustered 161 total thanks to 162 passing yards by Henschen, who completed 15 of 20 passes in his first start. Senior wingback Brandon Gray was his top target, hauling in six catches for 65 yards.

"I thought it was awesome to get a chance to blitz tonight," Edgley said. "I thought we brought good pressure."

Campbell County senior nose tackle Jesse Lamb added a pair of sacks during a three-play stretch at the beginning of the third quarter. Senior linebacker Nick Sauerbeck also had two sacks against the returning Class 2A state runner-up.

"Up front, we got some pressure, and that allowed us to get to the quarterback and do some things," said Camels coach Stephen Lickert, who improved to 3-1 against the five-time state champion.

The Camels' limited Thoroughbreds tailback Jacob Smith to 45 yards on 17 carries. The junior scored a pair of touchdowns on scoring runs of 1 and 11 yards. NewCath managed just 10 first downs while losing to the Camels for the third year in a row and for the fourth time in six games, reversing a stretch in which NewCath won seven in a row in a nine-year span.

Campbell County's offensive line got tremendous push Friday, allowing the Camels to gash the Thoroughbreds for long gainers, leading to sustained drives. Campbell County took a 9-0 lead in the second quarter on a 2-yard keeper by quarterback Carson Plessinger, capping a 13-play, 63-yard drive.

It was the first of three rushing touchdowns for Plessinger. The junior ran for a game-high 75 yards on 19 carries, and finished 8-of-17 passing for 88 yards. He amassed 163 of the Camels' 285 yards from scrimmage.

Plessinger's 7-yard rushing score culminated an 11-play, 73-yard Camels drive for a 16-7 lead with 1:24 left in the opening half. He had 143 of Campbell County's 172 first-half yards as the Camels outgained the 'Breds by nearly 100 before the break.

Plessinger and Smith were named most valuable players.

"The first two games was run, run, run," said Plessinger, who rushed for 142 yards and two TDs in the opener and ran for 139 and two scores last week against Highlands. "I needed to work with the receivers, so we passed a little more this time."

On the season, Plessinger has run for 356 yards and seven TDs. He's passed for 255, giving him 611 of the Camels' 859 total yards the first three games, accounting for 71 percent of the offense.

Running back Josh Carroll's 7-yard rushing score for the Camels completed a three-play, 64-yard Campbell County possession with 10:42 left in the third quarter. The score was set up by Gunner Froelicher's 53-yard run to the NewCath 12. Froelicher had a 59-yard fourth-quarter TD run wiped out by penalty.

Carroll rushed 13 times for 47 yards. Plessinger's 5-yard keeper five minutes after Carroll's score finished a six-play, 56-yard drive, putting the Camels ahead, 30-7.

NewCath received a 28-yard field goal from Ryan Hans for its second score of the fourth quarter, setting the final margin with 8 seconds to play in the game.

The 'Breds can take solace in the fact that they've overcome slow starts before against bigger schools on the early non-district slate to advance to state championship games and win titles.

They started 1-4 last year before winning nine straight en route to the 2A final. A 2-4 start in 2012 morphed into an 11-4 finish and a state championship. The 'Breds were 2-5 to begin the 2006 schedule, but won eight in a row for the second of back-to-back state crowns.

Campbell County 2 14 14 0 -- 30

Newport Central Catholic 0 7 0 10 -- 17

C-Edgley sack in end zone

C-Plessinger 2 run (Schierenbeck kick)

N-Smith 1 run (Hans kick)

C-Plessinger 7 run (Schierenbeck kick)

C-Carroll 7 run (Schierenbeck kick)

C-Plessinger 5 run (Schierenbeck kick)

N-Smith 11 run (Hans kick)

N-Hans 28 FG

Records: Campbell County 2-1, NewCath 0-2.
Good win for Campbell County.
Surprised we haven't heard from NCC's number 1 fan yet
Makes since now why NCC did not want to play Ashland on Saturday.
I saw the final score, some predicted the Breds would not put any point on the board and the score would be much worse. Congrats to the Camels on the W....were there in postives for the Breds in this game, what areas improved? Based on the article, sounds like up front the O-Line needs to continue to get better. Were any adjustments made there for the game? Good luck to both of the teams next week!
Nice win Camels. Coach Wagner will right the ship as the season goes.
Henchmen has some serious promise. Needs to get rid of the ball, but you will have some growing pains with a young QB. The Offensive line continues to struggle. It's hard to watch sometimes. When cchs only rushed three, Henchen had time. If they brought more, well, you end up with 8 sacks. I'm sure the young sophomore is very sore today. How he didnt get the player of the game for NCC is beyond me. At some point Coach Wagner has to stop playing players that have no business plying other than playing on special teams. Cchs is a average at best team and the 30-17 final doesn't really show how dominant cchs was in this game. The last 2 scores Ncc scored was against the camels jv. I'm hearing some rumors that coaches are going after each other. The Offensive coordinator seems to always bring the worst out of coaches and players. It's time to cut the ties up on the hill.
Who would you be referring to that should be played on special teams only? Also, just a little FYI the 2nd tad was not scored on the job, maybe the fg but not the td.
MrBWesley Wrote:Henchmen has some serious promise. Needs to get rid of the ball, but you will have some growing pains with a young QB. The Offensive line continues to struggle. It's hard to watch sometimes. When cchs only rushed three, Henchen had time. If they brought more, well, you end up with 8 sacks. I'm sure the young sophomore is very sore today. How he didnt get the player of the game for NCC is beyond me. At some point Coach Wagner has to stop playing players that have no business plying other than playing on special teams. Cchs is a average at best team and the 30-17 final doesn't really show how dominant cchs was in this game. The last 2 scores Ncc scored was against the camels jv. I'm hearing some rumors that coaches are going after each other. The Offensive coordinator seems to always bring the worst out of coaches and players. It's time to cut the ties up on the hill.

Wow, CCHS average??? Hmm, the #4 team in NKY and only loses to HHS by a score. If CCHS is only an average team, then the Breds may not beat Brossart this year.....

It's so funny to hear people knock NCC. They schedule a monster schedule every year, we hear from the doubters every year, and EVERY year NCC finds themselves in the Final Four. Everybody has an opinion, but as usual, most of them are pretty stupid!

NCC has more going for them than anyone wants to give credit! I was on the sidelines, and I never heard any, ridiculous comment like above, coaches not in sync! The kids on the field played their asses off! For kids to be expected to go both ways every down, my hats off to Coach Wagner and the kids at NCC! As a CCHS guy, I look forward to seeing the Breds go deep into the postseason - AGAIN!
:lame:
Jeepman Wrote:Makes since now why NCC did not want to play Ashland on Saturday.
Wow, Let it go!
Well Stardust, you may want to get that hearing aid battery changed. Schneider was digging in Coach Fausts butt last week and Coach Wagner and him were going back in forth more than just a few times last night, I heard him tell Schneider that and i quote "thats a horrible call", referring to the playaction play that resulted in a safety. Not the first time he has been disrespectfull to Coach Faust. Yeah, Cchs is an average team. The only 2 teams that have a case for being good is SK and Dixie. I dont see any state titles this season for the NKY teams.
Two points. If Campbell wants the respect of being more than an average 6 team, they are going to have to make it past the second round of the playoffs. Secondly, Dan will take care of what is necessary. The people on here giving him free advice likely don't have a thimble of his experience and success when it comes to coaching high school football, and are also likely forming opinions from the bias perspective of a parent or relative.
I can't look at NCC's pre-district record and form a solid opinion on them since they always have a tough schedule. But the way Lloyd and Newport have looked, I wouldn't be surprised if one of those 2 beat NCC in district play
I don't see that happening. With Newcath's brutal scheduling, they will be more than ready and capable of beating all the 2A schools in their district. I'm not impressed by Lloyd's wins against Holmes or Dayton. Newcath also beat Holmes in their first scrimmage and, come on Dayton? Playing Dayton does nothing to prepare them for district play. Newport beat Walton and barely beat 3A Mason county.
And before anyone says, "Well at least they've won a game, unlike Newcath." Newcath could have beaten Dayton by as many as they wanted. There's a reason Newcath plays the tough schedule they do. Too many people harp on the fact that Newcath has lost they're first 2 games and many think they will lose the next 2 also. But they will be unstoppable in 2A competition, as long as they make some changes on the o-line.
Jeepman Wrote:Makes since now why NCC did not want to play Ashland on Saturday.

Yeah, b/c Ashland and CC are equal in overall talent. You've seen through our veil. How did you know?
:eyeroll:
30 going on 40 Wrote:Yeah, b/c Ashland and CC are equal in overall talent. You've seen through our veil. How did you know?

You have got to be kinding!!!!!!! Ashland equally as talented as CCHS, you all are confused down there, oh by the way didn't the TOMCAT'S lose to a small school last week and barely beat Ironton I do believe or am I mistaken.:eyeroll:
Sorry I meant Raceland
Confusednicker:
speedster Wrote::eyeroll:

You have got to be kinding!!!!!!! Ashland equally as talented as CCHS, you all are confused down there, oh by the way didn't the TOMCAT'S lose to a small school last week and barely beat Ironton I do believe or am I mistaken.:eyeroll:

I think 30 going on 40, was being facetious in response to Jeepman's ridiculous post.
Onespiritedfan Wrote:I don't see that happening. With Newcath's brutal scheduling, they will be more than ready and capable of beating all the 2A schools in their district. I'm not impressed by Lloyd's wins against Holmes or Dayton. Newcath also beat Holmes in their first scrimmage and, come on Dayton? Playing Dayton does nothing to prepare them for district play. Newport beat Walton and barely beat 3A Mason county.
And before anyone says, "Well at least they've won a game, unlike Newcath." Newcath could have beaten Dayton by as many as they wanted. There's a reason Newcath plays the tough schedule they do. Too many people harp on the fact that Newcath has lost they're first 2 games and many think they will lose the next 2 also. But they will be unstoppable in 2A competition, as long as they make some changes on the o-line.

The o-line will not see the size or rotation that they saw in the first two weeks. The Camels threw a LOT of bodies at them. To me, NCC will be fine in the front five.
speedster Wrote::eyeroll:

Sarcasm, Bro
I can't say I'm surprised in any way.
NCC finally getting the last piece of the puzzle back on the oline. Now they have 3 of the starting five back from last years team.