Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pike County Bowl format rant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, don't want to hurt any feelings here but I am a Pike County Bowl purist. It has gone from 2 great games at Pikeville with both Pikeville and Belfry playing to letting people use our field so our home game against Hazard doesn't start until 9:30. As a Pike County Bowl purist, here are the only options that make the bowl great for Pikeville (and me):

1) Old school. Pikeville and Belfry playing great teams on the same night at Pikeville.
2) If Belfry doesn't want to do that, I don't give one crap about who plays at Belfry or Shelby Valley. But for the love of God, GET TWO GOOD GAMES AT PIKEVILLE ON SATURDAY NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!:insane::HitWall::igiveup::flush::eyeroll::ChairHit::please:Confusederiously:
I agree Pilot. Go back to one night at Pikeville and guarantee two quality teams to take on Belfry and Pikeville.
bucslover68 Wrote:I agree Pilot. Go back to one night at Pikeville and guarantee two quality teams to take on Belfry and Pikeville.

Thank you!!!:rockon: LOL I have almost gotten used to losing to Belfry but I will never get used to trading Belfry vs. Highlands/Danville etc for East Ridge vs. Hurley. It sickens me.
Dang I believe I just gave Belfry TWO compliments in that last post.:HitWall:
jetpilot Wrote:Dang I believe I just gave Belfry TWO compliments in that last post.:HitWall:

Lol I have talked to several Belfry people about this. I can't speak for all of them ,but most would give up having it at Belfry if they could ensure having quality opponents every year. Belfry loves to play at Pikeville and their fans follow the Pirates everywhere.
Just for discussion pilot,what do you think about having a Pikeville/ Pike Central matchup every so often in the PCB if they could work it out.? Pike vs. PC and Belfry vs. whomever. Do you think it could be worked out? I think the atmosphere would be great.
I think so to, all the other teams don't bring in the crowds, I'd go for it switching from Pikeville to Belfry very other year, And Pikeville and Pike Central IMO is a better in County rival....but this 27 games in two nights is stupid...
Pike Ct. A good opponent, but some just want to see teams out of the area...
Friday night at SV: same as it is now.
Friday night at Pike Central: PC vs. Somerset or similar, Paintsville vs. a pretty decent team.
Saturday afternoon at ER: 1:00 East Ridge vs. Hurley, 3:30 Betsy Layne vs. Perry Central or Letcher Central
Saturday night at Pikeville: 6:30 and 9 either order doesn't matter. This year could have been Pikeville vs. Beechwood and Belfry vs. Madison Southern.
I think I post a rant about this every year so this year since you started it I will simply save the time and simply say

I AGREE

I would trade every year being at Hambley if it assured Belfry and Pikeville played the same night and brought in top notch competition every year
For this year, the 30th of the PCB, I wanted Pikeville and Beechwood and Belfry vs. Highlands.
bucslover68 Wrote:Just for discussion pilot,what do you think about having a Pikeville/ Pike Central matchup every so often in the PCB if they could work it out.? Pike vs. PC and Belfry vs. whomever. Do you think it could be worked out? I think the atmosphere would be great.

That's a different agenda and I don't care either way if it happens or not but as a PCB purist it's not the time and place for a Pikeville vs. PC game or discussion...
bucslover68 Wrote:For this year, the 30th of the PCB, I wanted Pikeville and Beechwood and Belfry vs. Highlands.

I would love that as well but imagine having Harris play in the PCB. Either way it would be huuuuuuuuuuuuuge...
jetpilot Wrote:Dang I believe I just gave Belfry TWO compliments in that last post.:HitWall:

jetpilot Wrote:That's a different agenda and I don't care either way if it happens or not but as a PCB purist it's not the time and place for a Pikeville vs. PC discussion...

I understand ,but purely from a rivalry and atmosphere aspect I think it would be great. I understand it would take some change in feelings and "politics" for it to happen.
bucslover68 Wrote:I understand ,but purely from a rivalry and atmosphere aspect I think it would be great. I understand it would take some change in feelings and "politics" for it to happen.

I would be okay with playing PC every year home and home but not in the PCB. PCB is statewide, PC is just down the street.
jetpilot Wrote:I would be okay with playing PC every year home and home but not in the PCB. PCB is statewide, PC is just down the street.

Hate to agree with you so much but that does sound more reasonable now that I think about it lol!
You got to remember I only dislike Belfry one day a year bucslover.
Heard from someone at school that we will be in the pike co bowl next year.
jetpilot Wrote:You got to remember I only dislike Belfry one day a year bucslover.

13 year streak of just one day a year lol ....had to pilot sorry...:biggrin: btw gotta tackle Jones tonight,but if PHS does, I think they win...hope so. I'm definitely gonna watch.
I would rather have belfry and Pikeville playing on the same night as well. But like 91 I would rather it flip flop from Pikeville to belfry every other year. Belfrys facility Is to nice for it to not be a part of the PCB. A loT more parking as well.
Next year they're going to the previous format.

@ Belfry/Pikeville with the PCC/PHS playing ER/SV

The PCB will never go back the old format. There is just too much money involved.
Real Badman Wrote:Next year they're going to the previous format.

@ Belfry/Pikeville with the PCC/PHS playing ER/SV

The PCB will never go back the old format. There is just too much money involved.

What does that mean? More games and money under my proposal above. County schools complaining has ruined the PCB for Pikeville and Pikeville fans and killed all the hard-earned prestige of the bowl as well. Not saying Pikeville should opt out of the PCB, but they should insist on two top-notch games involving four great fan bases to be played in Pikeville on Sat. night. Then they should have their own bowl the following week and invite Beechwood, Belfry and Highlands.
Friday
Shelby Valley vs Pike Central
Belfry v TBA

Saturaday
East Ridge v Phelps
Pikeville v TBA

I like your idea, and agree with everything said. It all comes down to the money the other county schools bring in. That's the only reason the county schools play in the PCB. I think regardless of who ER/SV/P/PCC play, it leads me to ask this question: What does Phelps playing Betsy Layne have to do with Pikeville bringing in a high caliber opponent?
Real Badman Wrote:Friday
Shelby Valley vs Pike Central
Belfry v TBA

Saturaday
East Ridge v Phelps
Pikeville v TBA

I like your idea, and agree with everything said. It all comes down to the money the other county schools bring in. That's the only reason the county schools play in the PCB. I think regardless of who ER/SV/P/PCC play, it leads me to ask this question: What does Phelps playing Betsy Layne have to do with Pikeville bringing in a high caliber opponent?

That scenario is worse than this year's and will bring in less money than this year and much less than my scenario. Don't have a problem at all with Phelps vs. BL. But I would get an opponent for Phelps that they can play with, and to answer your question I want 4 good teams with good fan bases playing in Pikeville on Saturday night simple as that. Phelps and Betsy Layne have nothing to do with that.
jetpilot Wrote:That scenario is worse than this year's and will bring in less money than this year and much less than my scenario. Don't have a problem at all with Phelps vs. BL. But I would get an opponent for Phelps that they can play with, and to answer your question I want 4 good teams with good fan bases playing in Pikeville on Saturday night simple as that. Phelps and Betsy Layne have nothing to do with that.

Not really because you're not splitting money with BL/Paris/Hurley/Somerset. That is why there isn't any PCB jerseys these last two seasons. I'm sure it would save money somewhere in the long run. Like I said though, I agree with you on every part of the PCB argument.
Real Badman Wrote:Not really because you're not splitting money with BL/Paris/Hurley/Somerset. That is why there isn't any PCB jerseys these last two seasons. I'm sure it would save money somewhere in the long run. Like I said though, I agree with you on every part of the PCB argument.

I don't have a problem with splitting all the money from all the venues evenly with all the Pike County schools, and giving the visiting team the same deal they always get. In fact I would make sure the visiting teams get a better deal than they get with other games they play on the road. Feed them, pay their expenses, etc. In other words, let me implement my format and I will make sure none of the Pike County schools get one cent less than they get now. In fact, under my scenario I'm pretty sure they would get more.
jetpilot Wrote:I don't have a problem with splitting all the money from all the venues evenly with all the Pike County schools, and giving the visiting team the same deal they always get. In fact I would make sure the visiting teams get a better deal than they get with other games they play on the road. Feed them, pay their expenses, etc. In other words, let me implement my format and I will make sure none of the Pike County schools get one cent less than they get now. In fact, under my scenario I'm pretty sure they would get more.

Well I do believe you're looking to talk to Virgil Osborne, not me haha.
Whatever you all decide, may i reccomend staying away from Pike Centrals field as far as possible Confusednicker:
How about getting game between Belfry and Pulaski County for PCB next year? To good to be true, I know.
Real Badman Wrote:Well I do believe you're looking to talk to Virgil Osborne, not me haha.

Not railing on you at all RBM. I do believe we are pretty much on the same page.:Thumbs:
Pages: 1 2