Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top Ten 1a games of the week ending 08-30-14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We have some great games scheduled for 1a teams this week. We are really getting to see some supreme tests for 1a schools this week and some games that will really help to shape the landscape of Kentucky 1a football. I am excited about this week and I am sure that you will be too. Now please remember these games do not mean the top 10 teams in 1a, just the top 10 matchups.

1) #1 Mayfield 1a @ #6 McCracken Co 6a
What better match up could we have to start this weeks top ten? We have a historically powerhouse 1a team taking on an upstart 6a power and both teams are ranked in the top ten of their perspective classes. Add to this the fact that it was won by the small school last year by 1 point at War Memorial in Mayfield. Then add in the fact that both teams beat highly ranked 3a teams convincingly this past week. Last year Mayfield was 14-1 and the 1a state champions. McCracken was 9-3 in 2013 and made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs in 6a, in just their first year of existence. Both teams feature a lot of speed. Both teams have youthful offensive lines. Neither team has a senior at qb. Both teams operate out of the spread on offense. This game should be a fast paced highly exciting game.

2) #7 Pikeville 1a @ #5 Hazard 1a
You talk about shaping the landscape of 1a, this is the best game this week to point to for that. These are two traditionally sound powers of 1a. These two teams believe in establishing the run with power and use the pass only after establishing the run. They almost always have a smashmouth type defense to go along with it. Pikeville already has 1 nail biter of a win this year and Hazard has yet to play. This was a score fest last year as Hazard out lasted the Panthers 62-50 at Pikeville. Both teams finished their seasons at 11-2. Both teams have been pointing to this game since their season ended last year because each figures the other to be one of the main tests in winning the east side of Ky 1a state tournament. I'm sure the electricity can be felt in the air before and during this one. I for one wish that I could be there in person.

3) #6 Russellville 1a @ #17 Fort Campbell 3a
This is another good match up of talent. Russellville plays the old school running game and already has started the season with a win in their opener. They have a stout defense and should test the speedsters from Fort Campbell. Fort Campbell will look to spread the Panthers out and use their speed to overcome that stout defense. The Panthers won this one at home last year 42-35. The Panthers went on to finish their season in 2013 at 10-3. Fort Campbell had a disappointing 2013 campaign by their standards at 5-7. They will look to improve upon that and to make a much better showing than they did last week in Mayfield.

4) NR East Carter 3a @ #12 Fairview 1a
These 2 teams finished the season last year with disappointing records for different reasons. East Carter won this one last year by a blimish at 1-0 due to forfeit. I do not know the actual score on the field. They finished with similar records. East Carter finished at 4-6 and Fairview at 5-5. The Eagles would like to start off their season on the right foot to get past their black eye from last year. A good win here would help get that monkey off of their backs.

5) #18 Shelby Valley 2a @ #11 Paris 1a
This should be another great game between 2 teams that are ranked in their perspective classes. This one came down to the wire last year with Shelby Valley winning 22-19 at Shelby Valley. Paris however finished the year on a better note as they went 9-3 on the year. Shelby Valley finished at 5-6 on the year. This one could come down to the coin toss.

6) NR Jenkins 1a @ NR Allen Cent 1a
This is a matchup of 2 teams that would like to improve upon their standings from last year and this game would go a long way toward helping the winner. The two finished 2013 with similar records. Jenkins finished at 1-10 and Allen Cent at 2-9. This game was the difference in those records as Allen Cent won by the closest of margins at 34-26. I suspect that this one will come down to the wire again this year.

7) #9 Paintsville 1a @ NR Morgan Co 3a
This one also came down to the wire last year as Paintsville pulled it out 21-14. This year Paintsville has had some injury issues that could tighten that margin. All eyes in the east will be upon Paintsville to determine where they rank amongst the top teams in 1a. Even though the game last year was close the two teams records were not. Paintsville finished with a respectable 8-4 record. Morgan Co finished at 4-7 and would like to get the win here this year to help boost that record.

8) #2 Beechwood 1a @ Mt Healthy, Oh (div II)
This appears to be a game between two powerhouse programs. Beechwood is almost always in the running for a state championship in Ky 1a. Mt Healthy appears to be a very good team as well as they ended last year with a mark of 11-2. Beechwood did have a somewhat disappointing year last year as they finished at 8-4. The two did not play each other last year. This is another good Ky vs Oh matchup.

9) NR Berea 1a @ NR Nicholas Co 1a
These two are very similar teams. They both finished the year with disappointing records at 2-9 each. Nicholas Co holds the edge though, winning this one last year at Berea by a margin of 22-12. This is another one that could come down to who has the ball last. This will also be a game that really helps the winning team to build upon what they had last year.

10) NR Bellevue 1a @ Finneytown, Oh
This also appears to be another good Ky vs Oh matchup. Bellevue finished their season at 7-5 last year, but has lost a lot of key players due to graduation. This on a team that had very low numbers. Finneytown had disappointing year at 2-8. This could go a long way toward helping whichever team wins this one, as I think the two teams will have problems getting many w's this year.

So, there it is. This is what we have to look forward to in 1a this week. Let's hear your thoughts and predictions.
Great report of schedule 55, but one correction. Pikeville in a soring fest last season, outlasted Hazard 62 - 50.
I look forward to seeing the score of the Pikeville/Hazard game. I see it being a high scoring game with both defenses having trouble stopping the offenses.
No love for Raceland/Ashland? 50+ years of tradition at Putnam stadium was torn down and "revamped". Raceland's first true test of the season after their programs biggest season in school history. Ashland's first game in their "new" stadium and looking to get going after the NCC cancellation. A tallented Tomcat team that has potentially 2 division 1 caliber backs in Quinten Baker and Justin Long. Raceland has very skilled experience at QB and WR. Both are fairly young on the line (seems to be the most common thread across the state), both are pretty fast on defense. Should be an electric atmosphere with a "late november" grit to it. Though its very doubtful that it feels like late november whe it comes to a thermometer.
Good list but Raceland Vs Ashland should be on the list as Scott noted

Geez.....come on now Double 5, keep up :thatsfunn
55 you need to add on bonus team sometime like when a 1A team Plays 5A or 4A School...hint,hint...Anyway you do a great job for 1A teams. :truestory:
I will put them in there if they play a 4a or 5a team that wins more than 2 games per year. I could start a 1a top ten marshmallow killer list.
Ashland hasnt won less than 7 games in idk how long. They are in a rough region. Highlands and Cov Cath have stifled their tegional dreams the last several years. Ashland is lightyears away from being a Marshmellow team
Scotty, I'm pretty sure 55 was referring to S. Laurel, not Ashland.
Looks like a couple great early season 1a matchups for sure, especially that Pikevile vs Hazard game. I would love to be able to watch that one in person myself.
KYHSFBFan Wrote:Scotty, I'm pretty sure 55 was referring to S. Laurel, not Ashland.

Thought of that shortly after i posted.
I was definately referring to the lead marshmallow killers being the burg. If they put a team on their schedule that finished over 500 I could respect them a little. It seems to be all about getting wins, not trying to get better.
I can't knock mysonis55 on these breakdowns, it's the only one on BGR with stats and insight. If he missed one, he will make it up next week. Looking forward to another great year of top ten 1A matchups from 55
mysonis55 Wrote:I was definately referring to the lead marshmallow killers being the burg. If they put a team on their schedule that finished over 500 I could respect them a little. It seems to be all about getting wins, not trying to get better.

Whatever 55 Pike County Central,Wayne County and Newport are pretty good teams......Just saying....Knoxville halls and Harrison County should have good teams both teams are 80+ player each...Plus 5A South laurel we haveto play in a bowl game...I would say Williamsburg has a pretty good schedule....:Cheerlead when you sign 2 year contract you haveto to play them.Williamsburg can't afford to buy out contract.
Marshmallows!!!!!!!!!
64SUR Wrote:Whatever 55 Pike County Central,Wayne County and Newport are pretty good teams......Just saying....Knoxville halls and Harrison County should have good teams both teams are 80+ player each...Plus 5A South laurel we haveto play in a bowl game...I would say Williamsburg has a pretty good schedule....:Cheerlead when you sign 2 year contract you haveto to play them.Williamsburg can't afford to buy out contract.

Pike County Central and Wayne County are good teams.. Newport and Harrison County are mediocre at best.
mysonis55 Wrote:I will put them in there if they play a 4a or 5a team that wins more than 2 games per year. I could start a 1a top ten marshmallow killer list.

you listed several cupcakes in top 10 games of the week including Berea vs Nicholas CountyConfusednicker:.you are biased.Raceland and Williamsburg should be in top ten 1A games of the week.the only good game on your list will be Pikeville beating Hazard.
Yes sir I did mention some weak teams. But it is two weak teams playing each other which should make for competitive games. As stated this is the top ten games not games featuring top ten teams. If you have a good team playing an enferior team that does not make a top ten game.
I'm baffled as to how Raceland at Ashland gets left off this list, especially when you have a Jenkins vs. Allen Central matchup listed. Leads me to believe that you got bored or drunk or both.
I see what he is doing a bit better now. Its more of a game by game basis. So i have no issue with jenkins/ac or two weaker teams against each other being on the list. Still dont understand the raceland/ashland game not being on there. But the season is young! We shall make the list again.
Can 55 take the heat and pressure. :blondnurs
mysonis55 Wrote:Yes sir I did mention some weak teams. But it is two weak teams playing each other which should make for competitive games. As stated this is the top ten games not games featuring top ten teams. If you have a good team playing an enferior team that does not make a top ten game.

what you call a top 10 game and what I call it is two differen't things. McCracken County is playing an inferior team so that game shouldn't be listed in your top 10 games either Confusednicker:
Ramcat77 Wrote:I'm baffled as to how Raceland at Ashland gets left off this list, especially when you have a Jenkins vs. Allen Central matchup listed. Leads me to believe that you got bored or drunk or both.

:biglmao:
We will see in two days just who is enferior. I like when people write us off.
mysonis55 Wrote:We will see in two days just who is enferior. I like when people write us off.

55 the writing is on the wall McCracken County will win......I want pick mayfeild but I hope 1A or 2A mayfeild kick McCracken :moon:
64SUR Wrote:55 the writing is on the wall McCracken County will win......I want pick mayfeild but I hope 1A or 2A mayfeild kick McCracken :moon:

what?Confusednicker:
pjdoug Wrote:what?Confusednicker:

I see you didn't get it pjdoug....1A or 2A Mayfield joke.....:biglmao:
My prediction: when this game is over Fri night, the posters across the state will have a new respect for this young Cardinal team.
mysonis55 Wrote:My prediction: when this game is over Fri night, the posters across the state will have a new respect for this young Cardinal team.

Im just glad they figured out the mccracken is a beast. Lol.. last year ppl was c
Writing them off as lone oak. Lol..:Cheerlead
ontopofthewest Wrote:Im just glad they figured out the mccracken is a beast. Lol.. last year ppl was c
Writing them off as lone oak. Lol..:Cheerlead

I think McCracken County will soon be one of the best teams in the state.
Pages: 1 2