Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Morehead State Preseason Preview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last season: 3-9 overall; 3-5 and eighth place in Pioneer Football League.

Outlook: Skill level, speed and depth are all up, according to Coach Rob Tenyer.

"When I compare from last year at this point to this year, I know that we're a better football team," he said. "I think we understand our schemes on both sides of the football much better. I think that this year we'll have more depth overall, and I think we have more of a versatile football team."

Tenyer says he had 64 players, including 32 freshmen, on campus during July. He's upbeat that the freshmen were able to meet with coaches, do film study, get to know the playbook and familiarize themselves with terminology, schemes and philosophy.

"Defensively, we're an even-front team. We want to keep the ball in front of us," Tenyer said. "We want to try to defend the run much better. We were not very good on defense, so we've got to be able to stop the run, force people to throw the football and compete, bring some pressure."

On offense, the Eagles will stay with a high-octane, no-huddle look. Tenyer says he'd like to run 90 plays a game. Morehead will throw the football to set up the run.

Question marks: Offensive line depth is a concern, along with a young corps of wide receivers. Kitaro Lewis, who caught 49 balls for 529 yards last year, is out for the season because of an Achilles injury. Cyrus Strahm will move outside to fill Lewis' spot. On defense, the outside linebacker spots are questions.

players to watch

CB Justin Grier: "I think (he) is really close to being an NFL-caliber player at cornerback. He's got all the measurements and had an outstanding spring," Tenyer said. "Can play press coverage; he play can play off man; he can play a zone corner. He's really top-notch."

RB Rees Macshara: He had a 1,000-yard season as a sophomore, but the Eagles struggled to run the ball last year when he gained 534 yards. "I anticipate him having a great year," Tenyer said. "He's worked hard, he's put weight on, he's added strength, and I think he's a bit faster as well."

WR/QB/KR Brandon Bornhauser: He'll play an inside slot position and even quarterback in "Wildcat" situations. The fifth-year senior also is a preseason All-America kick returner.

SS Mike Jackson: "Great kid. ... Great work ethic," Tenyer said. "He's put some muscle mass on. He can do both things — he can play some matchup (zone), he can play man-to-man coverage. He's a young man that we'll use in some blitz packages off the edge as well."

DE Ronald Cooper: "He's a player that could possibly, if he really had a breakout year, be in the top five in FCS in sacks," Tenyer said. "He's that type of caliber, and I'm going to push him."

Eagles' schedule

Date Opponent Time

Aug. 30 at Richmond 6 p.m.

Sept. 6 PIKEVILLE 6 p.m.

Sept. 13 at Eastern Kentucky 6 p.m.

Sept. 20 at Davidson 1 p.m.

Oct. 4 CAMPBELL 1 p.m.

Oct. 11 JACKSONVILLE 1 p.m.

Oct. 18 at Dayton 1 p.m.

Oct. 25 VALPARAISO 1 p.m.

Nov. 1 at Butler Noon

Nov. 8 at San Diego 4 p.m.