Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Win at any cost
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It seems that HS sports have taken on the college/pro mentality of win at any cost. On the Ashland thread I voiced some of my thoughts. I'm sure there are many on here that have some insights to this discussion. Do we fire a coach because he has a 4-6 season? Do we recruit players world wide for a HS basketball team? Do we let players have a free pass for missing class, low grades, making poor choices? Everybody wants to win but do we condone parents assaulting referees at sporting events? Do we allow a player who pleads guilty to sexual assault and get 6 months in the off season to rejoin the team because he has ability? So I think we can have a discussion on how to improve all HS sports.
STUDENT/atheletes...end of discussion
Not ATHELETIC/students.
Do we turn a blind eye to watering fields down? What about press boxes with no room for opposing coaches to have the same view as home team coaches.
Hatz Wrote:Do we turn a blind eye to watering fields down? What about press boxes with no room for opposing coaches to have the same view as home team coaches.

Do we practice in pads 7 day early.
Hatz Wrote:Do we turn a blind eye to watering fields down? What about press boxes with no room for opposing coaches to have the same view as home team coaches.

Imo, the press box issue is what it is. Raceland learned their lesson at Wburg last year in that regaurd. A small pressbox is a small pressbox. Make provisions(ie a cherry picker), and set up where u can. In regaurds to watering down a field, to slow a faster team down, thatd be a little classless imo.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Imo, the press box issue is what it is. Raceland learned their lesson at Wburg last year in that regaurd. A small pressbox is a small pressbox. Make provisions(ie a cherry picker), and set up where u can. In regaurds to watering down a field, to slow a faster team down, thatd be a little classless imo.
What if it rains? Field conditions are the same for both teams. As far as press box goes you deal with it. So does a HS team rent/buy a cherry picker just to be able to provide intel. Some high schools do not have enough computers to provide educational opportunities to the student body let alone renting equipment for a football game. At LC they charge students for text books. You must provide your own pencils, paper, notebooks etc. When I went to high school you were provided with everything so there was absolutely no excuse for not being able to learn
By no means is it ok for a school to provide money in order to purchase something such as a cherry picker or lift. I was just refering to the press box question. Raceland's football team doesnt own one, but have one they can use if needed. And yes, bot teams have to play on the same field, BUT, there are teams that fair better in muddy conditions. A big and power running team that gets 4/5yds a carry would benefit in the mud over a team in the spread who relies on speed. Not saying anyonehas ever or world ever water a field down for the sole purpouse of slowig team, but if it were to happen, itd be a pretty yellow move imo.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:What if it rains? Field conditions are the same for both teams. As far as press box goes you deal with it. So does a HS team rent/buy a cherry picker just to be able to provide intel. Some high schools do not have enough computers to provide educational opportunities to the student body let alone renting equipment for a football game. At LC they charge students for text books. You must provide your own pencils, paper, notebooks etc. When I went to high school you were provided with everything so there was absolutely no excuse for not being able to learn

The instances I was referring to were not rain but were man-made conditions. :Thumbs: