Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Dudley Hilton resigns at UPike
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I didn't see a thread about this posted. Seems that he is leaving for health and personal reasons. Al Holland is the interim head coach. This is from UPike's football website from August 9th. Wishing the old boy the best with his health.

http://www.upikebears.com/news/2014/8/9/...45231.aspx

PIKEVILLE, Ky. – After three seasons, University of Pikeville head football coach Dudley Hilton has resigned for personal and health matters, UPIKE President James Hurley announced on Saturday.

"On Behalf of the administration, board of trustees, faculty, staff, students and all UPIKE stakeholders, I thank Coach Hilton and his wife Jan for sharing their last three years with us," said Hurley. "Coach Hilton has done a wonderful job building our program into a conference contender and developing our young men both on and off the field. We wish him the very best moving forward."

Hilton leaves UPIKE after putting together a 14-18 record in three seasons, including a 7-4 campaign in 2013 that was the best for the program since 2005. Prior to taking the position at UPIKE, Hilton won 345 games in 36 seasons on the high-school level, capturing three Kentucky state titles along the way.

"I'd like to thank Coach Hilton for his contributions to the football program over the last three seasons," said UPIKE Athletic Director Robert Staggs. "Dudley quickly became part of the UPIKE family and put the team in position to continue to succeed moving forward."

Hilton addressed the team with his decision to resign before the start of preseason practice on Saturday. School officials plan to move quickly to fill the position.
Good Luck Coach Hilton. Have a wonderful retirement.
He was gone months ago. If he wasn't he wouldn't have been scouting high schools out all summer.
how likely is it he returns to coaching highschool?
^
I bet next year
I would have thought that he would have hung in there one more year though....at least until his boy graduated.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
I bet next year

probably southeast too.
pjdoug Wrote:how likely is it he returns to coaching highschool?

Very
He retired because of HEALTH REASON!!!!
Unbelievable for some ...
Craze JACKET man Wrote:He retired because of HEALTH REASON!!!!
Unbelievable for some ...

Urban Meyer did too Confusednicker:
Good luck coach Hilton on your Health.
I heard about this two weeks or so ago. I believe Hilton is sincere when he says he's stepping away for health reasons. 1) This season was much promised for the bears and could have resulted in a conference championship. 2) His son, a senior in college who wants to go to KYCOM, university employees and family get free tuition. Sad to say this may be the last of the dud.
Dudley will return to high school in 2015. If you know him he has to be doing what he does best. High School is where he belongs.
^
No doubt in my mind that he will be on a high school sideline in 2015.
Would have been this year had a couple of schools been able to come up with more pocket change.
I use to think the ole' "Health and Personal" reasons, no matter young or old, was just a blow hard excuse.

But, those out there who have coached...be it as a head coach or as a coordinator can attest that it's a very valid reason and one that should be respected. I really don't think people understand the amount of stress that comes with these jobs; well, I know they don't.

...be it high school or college, it is literally a 365 job. There is no break..one you can't get away from sometimes even if you try.

The actual "coaching" aspect is a very, very, very small percentage of the job. I don't know a coach out there (former or current) who doesn't enjoy the 2 hrs of practice, games and film work in season....problem is, especially in this day and age, that is about 10% of the job...even less at the college level.
Any guesses is to where he goes?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:He was gone months ago. If he wasn't he wouldn't have been scouting high schools out all summer.

This must be true since TB liked it. Why wait so long to resign then? Plus I think college staffs must always be scouting high school players.:popcorn:
Real Badman Wrote:I heard about this two weeks or so ago. I believe Hilton is sincere when he says he's stepping away for health reasons. 1) This season was much promised for the bears and could have resulted in a conference championship. 2) His son, a senior in college who wants to go to KYCOM, university employees and family get free tuition. Sad to say this may be the last of the dud.

I believe he is sincere about his health and hope he gets well soon but I dont think his coaching days are over.maybe he'll rest for a while and come back and add to his win total.
jetpilot Wrote:This must be true since TB liked it. Why wait so long to resign then? Plus I think college staffs must always be scouting high school players.:popcorn:

I truly think he resigned to take time off and relax, which is a big part of the "health" reasons hes talking about, and rightfully so. Most people don't understand that even at the high school level, being a head coach is a year around job.
Dudley scouted Southern and EKY hard this year and has picked up quite a few players to head out there. The only reason I don't like resigning this late is because of the players that signed to play FOR him. They will no longer have that chance. I have no clue about the Pikeville situation or how that will end up. Im sure RBM will fill us in on that as that comes in, but as far as Dudley being done forever, no way. He will be on a sideline in 2015 and if not ill be completely shocked.
You have heard of one year hires right? Fill a void until loose ends can be tied up. Look for that situation.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I truly think he resigned to take time off and relax, which is a big part of the "health" reasons hes talking about, and rightfully so. Most people don't understand that even at the high school level, being a head coach is a year around job.
Dudley scouted Southern and EKY hard this year and has picked up quite a few players to head out there. The only reason I don't like resigning this late is because of the players that signed to play FOR him. They will no longer have that chance. I have no clue about the Pikeville situation or how that will end up. Im sure RBM will fill us in on that as that comes in, but as far as Dudley being done forever, no way. He will be on a sideline in 2015 and if not ill be completely shocked.
You have heard of one year hires right? Fill a void until loose ends can be tied up. Look for that situation.

Whitley County has a coach. Confusedhh:
It is a health problem that has just surfaced that is the reason for the timing.
Wish the best for Hilton and family......
64SUR Wrote:Whitley County has a coach. Confusedhh:

THAT is funny.....:Thumbs:
Better start digging out more pocket change though.....LOL
papagrit Wrote:THAT is funny.....:Thumbs:
Better start digging out more pocket change though.....LOL

maybe he will be an assistant this year Confusednicker:
Whitley fans , way to go. Season starting and you say this. Fans like this do not deserve a successful team. Hilton will never go to Whitley, get behind your coach.
Whitley done proved there wallets aren't big enough.
BUT, maybe since we only have an INTERIM athletic director maybe it could be two salaries wrapped up in one Confusednicker:
Chappell will do fine. IMO Dudley is done being a head coach. If he were to return to the sidelines it will be closer to his family and not anywhere near EKY.
Dud would not have walked away from $$ unless it was something pretty serious. Very few would. Throw on top of that JD's senior year and no way he walks away without something pretty serious.

Hope he gets back on his feet and at least on the lake!!
Xerxes Wrote:Whitley fans , way to go. Season starting and you say this. Fans like this do not deserve a successful team. Hilton will never go to Whitley, get behind your coach.

this?? what did Whitley County fans say?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Whitley done proved there wallets aren't big enough.
BUT, maybe since we only have an INTERIM athletic director maybe it could be two salaries wrapped up in one Confusednicker:

Yeah! we could use an Athletic Director.
Pages: 1 2