Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tim Tebow Law
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is Bill is being pass around the house, if it makes it in to law or not is another story, what's your thoughts ? Pros and Cons ?

A student enrolled in a nonpublic school, including a home school, is eligible to
participate in an interscholastic extracurricular activity sponsored by or engaged
in by the public school to which the student would be assigned according to
district school board attendance policies or which the student could choose to
attend pursuant to district open enrollment provisions, provided that the
nonpublic school does not offer the interscholastic extracurricular activity. A
student eligible under this section who is selected to participate in an
interscholastic extracurricular activity shall:
I thought they could already do that. I think even schools like Carlisle Co, who does not offer football, could allow a child to play for another school such as Mayfield or Graves Co. I think it is a good idea, as long as it does not get abused by some winning is everything type of coach.
I think you can from public school to public school if a sport isn't offered, but this is for the private and home schooled kids who are not associated with a public school system
I still think its a good idea, with the chance of being exploited in a negative way.
mysonis55 Wrote:I still think its a good idea, with the chance of being exploited in a negative way.

My thoughts exactly.
When Matt Thomas and OJ Mayo were at Rose Hill (Mayo's 8th and Thomas' 7th) they played at Fairview. Mayo ended up hurting his non throwing hand early in the season and didnt play the rest. Matt Thomas however, did. This was prior to Rose Hill and Bill Tom Ross's attempts at starting a football program. That only lasted a few years and never really left the ground.
Those win at all costs football coaches that do their job and make their teams the best they can be.
I think of your child is to good to go to school with the other kids and you home school them then they shouldn't be allowed to play any sports with them either. Plus how can school districts cover that child on their insurance as well since they aren't a student?

So I say no school no play!!!!
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:When Matt Thomas and OJ Mayo were at Rose Hill (Mayo's 8th and Thomas' 7th) they played at Fairview. Mayo ended up hurting his non throwing hand early in the season and didnt play the rest. Matt Thomas however, did. This was prior to Rose Hill and Bill Tom Ross's attempts at starting a football program. That only lasted a few years and never really left the ground.

I rember that very well , but that was Westwood Boys Club football not Fairview . People always made the mistake that the Boys Club , & Fairview were the same , but they were completely seperate . Anybody from any school could play for Westwood Boys Club up to 9th grade . I was president of the board of trustees at the time he played there .The Boys Club was never affiliated in anyway with any school system.
panther nation Wrote:I think of your child is to good to go to school with the other kids and you home school them then they shouldn't be allowed to play any sports with them either. Plus how can school districts cover that child on their insurance as well since they aren't a student?

I agree %100. If you do not go to that school, you can not play sports for that school.
Interesting I did not think Kentucky would try this
Panthernation, isn't Barbourville kids allowed to play football at Knox? Ive heard that but didn't know if it actually happened.
panther nation Wrote:I think of your child is to good to go to school with the other kids and you home school them then they shouldn't be allowed to play any sports with them either. Plus how can school districts cover that child on their insurance as well since they aren't a student?

some kids don't go to public schools for other reasons than being stuck up so lets not be narrow minded private schools/Home school offer a lot of advantages other than being schools for the uppity. I'm not rich or stuck up but struggled (work two jobs) to send my daughter to a private Christian school to teach her humility and love thy neighbor as thy self and get her ready for higher education not to be better than your child. we still pay taxes just like she was going to local county or public school so if she wanted to play any sport, band or any other thing the school offers I'm just as entitled to those activities as your child I PAY THE SAME TAXES.
How would one verify academic eligibility for a home-schooled student-athlete?
most home schooled kids use a curriculum like ABeka threw Pensacola College and is graded threw the school and is verifiable and accredited

A know a lot of kids who were home schooled and I know a lot of parents who home schooled their kids. I can't think of a single kid or a single parent who thought their kids were to good for kids at public schools.
I pay road taxes that go to keep a bridge up in the mountains and I never drive over it. The "I pay the same taxes" doesn't fly. We all pay taxes for things that we don't directly benefit from.

High school wise you have to attend a school to play a sport that represents that school. If your school doesn't offer that sport then you need to transfer to a school that does. That is a reason some schools offer particular sports, to attract students. Face it folks, many aspects of schools follow business models and extracurriculars are a way to entice students which mean $$$.

As far as home school kids go, a local district CAN allow homeschool kids to play but good luck finding an opponent. You cannot be a KHSAA participant and a KHSAA member is not permitted to play a school that has homeschoolers playing.

It is my opinion that if you want to participate in EXTRAcurriculars you have to be involved in the curriculum first. How do schools determine your eligibility? Mom tells them what grades you have?? That sounds pretty easy when you compare to a kid that has to pass AP calc to stay eligible. It would open a major can of worms. Say you have an athletic stud move in that is an absolute punk in school and can't stay out of trouble or make the grades to stay eligible. Put him on home school and just send him to practice every day. He's basically a professional athlete. Is that the culture you want to kids to have the option to play in? The legislature should make the best decision for the kids that DO choose to play by public school rules instead of bending to the will of a few.
I think it's a good idea if they are enrolled in the public school system and their school doesn't offer that particular sport. Some people in rural areas do not have the ability to just move to another county therefore transferring isn't that easy. Especially in the eastern ky area.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Panthernation, isn't Barbourville kids allowed to play football at Knox? Ive heard that but didn't know if it actually happened.

They are not allowed. You have to be a student in the Knox county school system.
At best Fairview will be 5-5 this season , but more like 3rd place finisher in their district , 1 and done in playoffs , with record like 3-7......i hope im completely wrong on this
Could make things intresting
Talon Wrote:At best Fairview will be 5-5 this season , but more like 3rd place finisher in their district , 1 and done in playoffs , with record like 3-7......i hope im completely wrong on this

I just realized i put this post in the wrong thread . I meant to post in the Bold Predictions thread ...had a brain fart my apologies
panther nation Wrote:They are not allowed. You have to be a student in the Knox county school system.

I may have been thinking of the young kids.

If im not mistaken, some city schools who aren't big enough for football let there players play at the county school or other town school that does.
mysonis55 Wrote:I thought they could already do that. I think even schools like Carlisle Co, who does not offer football, could allow a child to play for another school such as Mayfield or Graves Co. I think it is a good idea, as long as it does not get abused by some winning is everything type of coach.

You could always do this, at least in Kentucky. I went to a private school in Somerset which did not offer football and was going to play for Somerset until I decided to just go on and transfer to Somerset schools. A friend of mine who went to the same private school played football for Pulaski throughout his high school career. Granted this was 15 years ago so the rule might have changed in the meantime but back then it was fine.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:I pay road taxes that go to keep a bridge up in the mountains...

Um you might want to check the distribution of coal severance taxes my friend. Through the years if our coal severance taxes stayed at home we wouldn't need your tax dollars or any other outside tax dollars. I understand the point you are trying to make....but let's be clear...no one from the outside has kept us hillbillies up. :dontthink
jamesdeane Wrote:A know a lot of kids who were home schooled and I know a lot of parents who home schooled their kids. I can't think of a single kid or a single parent who thought their kids were to good for kids at public schools.

I would have to respectfully disagree with this.

The majority of the home school situations I've seen parents get a beef with the school and take their kids out. In more than 75% of the instances the parent(s) have no business even trying to home school a kid. In my opinion home schooling is a terrible idea.
Objective Wrote:some kids don't go to public schools for other reasons than being stuck up so lets not be narrow minded private schools/Home school offer a lot of advantages other than being schools for the uppity. I'm not rich or stuck up but struggled (work two jobs) to send my daughter to a private Christian school to teach her humility and love thy neighbor as thy self and get her ready for higher education not to be better than your child. we still pay taxes just like she was going to local county or public school so if she wanted to play any sport, band or any other thing the school offers I'm just as entitled to those activities as your child I PAY THE SAME TAXES.

I look at it this way, if you send your child to a private school and he or she wants to play a sport that that school doesn't offer then you have 3 choices:
1 switch to a private school that does offer that sport
2 switch to and enroll in a public school that does
3 just don't play that sport.

This is on the private school stuff, this thread is not about kids attending private schools it's about where home schooled kids should be allowed to play sports for a public school or not.
Another way to look at it is besides sports are you going to allow these home schooled kids on other stuff to like the debate teams or join the clubs that public school offer. Just seems to me that some people want their cake and eat it too!!
Bear_Paw Wrote:I would have to respectfully disagree with this.

The majority of the home school situations I've seen parents get a beef with the school and take their kids out. In more than 75% of the instances the parent(s) have no business even trying to home school a kid. In my opinion home schooling is a terrible idea.
You disagree with the fact that I know no one who home schooled their kids because they thought their kids were better than the kids in public school? I would love to hear how you know the kids that I know who were home schooled.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:I pay road taxes that go to keep a bridge up in the mountains and I never drive over it. The "I pay the same taxes" doesn't fly. We all pay taxes for things that we don't directly benefit from.

High school wise you have to attend a school to play a sport that represents that school. If your school doesn't offer that sport then you need to transfer to a school that does. That is a reason some schools offer particular sports, to attract students. Face it folks, many aspects of schools follow business models and extracurriculars are a way to entice students which mean $$$.

As far as home school kids go, a local district CAN allow homeschool kids to play but good luck finding an opponent. You cannot be a KHSAA participant and a KHSAA member is not permitted to play a school that has homeschoolers playing.

It is my opinion that if you want to participate in EXTRAcurriculars you have to be involved in the curriculum first. How do schools determine your eligibility? Mom tells them what grades you have?? That sounds pretty easy when you compare to a kid that has to pass AP calc to stay eligible. It would open a major can of worms. Say you have an athletic stud move in that is an absolute punk in school and can't stay out of trouble or make the grades to stay eligible. Put him on home school and just send him to practice every day. He's basically a professional athlete. Is that the culture you want to kids to have the option to play in? The legislature should make the best decision for the kids that DO choose to play by public school rules instead of bending to the will of a few.

It does fly, because that tax I pay is directly attributed as a school tax so if my kid doesn't attend or has never attended then I'm being unfairly taxed

Road way taxes are general not specified taxes so if I use any of the road ways then I'm using my tax dollars at work

Taxation without Representation is against the Constitution

I don't mind paying my fair share just give me the same advantages from my tax dollars or give me the tax money to use as tuition to the school of my choosing
panther nation Wrote:I look at it this way, if you send your child to a private school and he or she wants to play a sport that that school doesn't offer then you have 3 choices:
1 switch to a private school that does offer that sport
2 switch to and enroll in a public school that does
3 just don't play that sport.

This is on the private school stuff, this thread is not about kids attending private schools it's about where home schooled kids should be allowed to play sports for a public school or not.
Another way to look at it is besides sports are you going to allow these home schooled kids on other stuff to like the debate teams or join the clubs that public school offer. Just seems to me that some people want their cake and eat it too!!

#1 the law says nonpublic school or homeschool... stated in orginial post
#2 most private school operate just like home school with same accredited curriculum as the local public schools
#3 What if there aren't any private schools that offer the sport in my area and the public school educational standards aren't up to par ?
#4 most parents want every advantage for their child that's all I want and yes I'd like to have my cake and eat it too isn't this the american dream

I do appreciate you opinion on the subject I'd also like for you to understand my point of view I'm only talking about a handful of kids at most per county. This will not change the dynamics of high school sports 11 state already have this law including Flordia and Ohio the two biggest recruiting states
Pages: 1 2