Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Sheldon Clark 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After what was probably the worst season in school history how will Sheldon Clark do this upcoming year?

Personally I think this years team will be improved but will continue to fade from relevance. Do not see them wining a district or playoff game. It seems like only a few years ago they were state championship contenders. What happened?
Lots of factors have happened.

- First and foremost is the decline of the coal industry in Martin County. Possibly the hardest hit county in the State per capita.

- The talent pool is just "down" in general at Sheldon Clark. Small schools always will have their ups and downs, just so happened SC's came at the worst time.

- Some key players have transferred out or decided not to play. When you lose games it only exacerbates this fact... numbers are down and the top athletes have either went elsewhere or are focusing on other sports.

- The rise of the teams around them. Johnson Central is rolling. Belfry is rolling. Pike Central and Lawrence County have been up. No East Ridge left in their district as a sure win. The teams they have scheduled out of district (Pikeville, Pburg, and Hazard) are all up.

It also doesn't help their school was literally falling apart. Just a series of events working against them.

SC has to regenerate excitement, get some wins, and get their numbers up again. A new school and a new stadium may help that.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Lots of factors have happened.

- First and foremost is the decline of the coal industry in Martin County. Possibly the hardest hit county in the State per capita.

- The talent pool is just "down" in general at Sheldon Clark. Small schools always will have their ups and downs, just so happened SC's came at the worst time.

- Some key players have transferred out or decided not to play. When you lose games it only exacerbates this fact... numbers are down and the top athletes have either went elsewhere or are focusing on other sports.

- The rise of the teams around them. Johnson Central is rolling. Belfry is rolling. Pike Central and Lawrence County have been up. No East Ridge left in their district as a sure win. The teams they have scheduled out of district (Pikeville, Pburg, and Hazard) are all up.

It also doesn't help their school was literally falling apart. Just a series of events working against them.

SC has to regenerate excitement, get some wins, and get their numbers up again. A new school and a new stadium may help that.

Excellent post EKUAlum05

The bolded is DA TRUTH!!! If the coal industry keeps going like it has been for the past few years, Sheldon Clark may have to drop down to 1A. I really don't see Martin County not having a school, but with the population in the county decreasing and students choosing to go to other area schools..... It's not out of the realm of possibility. And it's sad. Sheldon Clark has a (good) crazy fan base. They love their Cards.
As a Belfry fan I have always enjoyed the battles within the district against the Cards. IMHO they have been the only true competition in our district for years (I hope Lawerence County will change that soon). I would like to see them return to their glory days.
Cards will be much Better than last season they have had some good numbers out compared to last year with a few kids coming back out that didn't play.
CardinalAlum Wrote:Cards will be much Better than last season they have had some good numbers out compared to last year with a few kids coming back out that didn't play.

Who will be the starting quarterback?
Found this on internet. Here is the history of Sheldon Clark.
Coaches
Earl Hutchinson 1981 Record 3 and 8

Chuke Williams 1982-1983 record 13 and 8

Jim Matney 1984-2003 record 124 and 94 Playoff record 8 and 11 played in 2 regional championships 1998(win) and 2000 (Lost)

Shawn Hager 2004-2013 record 59 and 58 Playoff record 9 and 9 played in 3 regional championships 2005 (Lost) 2008 (Lost) and 2009 (win)

SHELDON CLARK “Cardinals”

formed in the fall of 1972 by the consolidation of Inez and Warfield

Many thanks to Curtis Crye for this page of information

1981 3-8 Earl Hutchinson
1982 9-2 Chuke Williams
1983 4-6 Chuke Williams
1984 0-10 Jim Matney
1985 2-8 Jim Matney
1986 8-2 Jim Matney
1987 5-5 Jim Matney
1988 2-9 Jim Matney
1989 3-7 Jim Matney playoffs
1990 7-4 Jim Matney
1991 9-2 Jim Matney 0-1
1992 9-2 Jim Matney 0-1
1993 6-4 Jim Matney 0-1
1994 7-5 Jim Matney 1-1
1995 5-5 Jim Matney
1996 6-5 Jim Matney 0-1
1997 7-4 Jim Matney 0-1
1998 9-5 Jim Matney 3-1
1999 11-1 Jim Matney 1-1
2000 11-2 Jim Matney 2-1
2001 2-7 Jim Matney
2002 7-3 Jim Matney 0-1
2003 8-4 Jim Matney 1-1
2004 2-8 Shawn Hager
2005 9-4 Shawn Hager 2-1
2006 9-2 Shawn Hager 0-1
2007 9-3 Shawn Hager 1-1
2008 10-3 Shawn Hager 2-1
2009 9-5 Shawn Hager 3-1
2010 6-6 Shawn Hager 1-1
2011 1-10 Shawn Hager 0-1
2012 4-7 Shawn Hager 0-1
2013 0-10 Shawn Hager 0-1
Eku makes a very valid point on strength of schedule go and look at the past three seasons schedule and I think you will find one of the toughest in eky and just think if we'd played JC last season. When you play tough teams week in week out anything can happen. I think last year only helps the kids who stuck it out and played the whole year. I really believe this team will surprise some ppl. I'd say if things go our way and the ball bounces our way a few times we could win 7 games. I think we will win five games in the regular season. But I believe several games could go either way so it wouldn't surprise me with less. But I'll go out on a limb and say barring several major injuries this team will win a game this season.
I hope you guys get it together. Some of the best Lawrence games I've been to were Bulldog and Cardinal games.
3sportfan Wrote:Found this on internet. Here is the history of Sheldon Clark.
Coaches
Earl Hutchinson 1981 Record 3 and 8

Chuke Williams 1982-1983 record 13 and 8

Jim Matney 1984-2003 record 124 and 94 Playoff record 8 and 11 played in 2 regional championships 1998(win) and 2000 (Lost)

Shawn Hager 2004-2013 record 59 and 58 Playoff record 9 and 9 played in 3 regional championships 2005 (Lost) 2008 (Lost) and 2009 (win)

SHELDON CLARK “Cardinals”

formed in the fall of 1972 by the consolidation of Inez and Warfield

Many thanks to Curtis Crye for this page of information

1981 3-8 Earl Hutchinson
1982 9-2 Chuke Williams
1983 4-6 Chuke Williams
1984 0-10 Jim Matney
1985 2-8 Jim Matney
1986 8-2 Jim Matney
1987 5-5 Jim Matney
1988 2-9 Jim Matney
1989 3-7 Jim Matney playoffs
1990 7-4 Jim Matney
1991 9-2 Jim Matney 0-1
1992 9-2 Jim Matney 0-1
1993 6-4 Jim Matney 0-1
1994 7-5 Jim Matney 1-1
1995 5-5 Jim Matney
1996 6-5 Jim Matney 0-1
1997 7-4 Jim Matney 0-1
1998 9-5 Jim Matney 3-1
1999 11-1 Jim Matney 1-1
2000 11-2 Jim Matney 2-1
2001 2-7 Jim Matney
2002 7-3 Jim Matney 0-1
2003 8-4 Jim Matney 1-1
2004 2-8 Shawn Hager
2005 9-4 Shawn Hager 2-1
2006 9-2 Shawn Hager 0-1
2007 9-3 Shawn Hager 1-1
2008 10-3 Shawn Hager 2-1
2009 9-5 Shawn Hager 3-1
2010 6-6 Shawn Hager 1-1
2011 1-10 Shawn Hager 0-1
2012 4-7 Shawn Hager 0-1
2013 0-10 Shawn Hager 0-1

Awesome info.

Wow. I didn't realize that SC was only 5-27 in the past 3 years. Looks like the worst 3 year span in school history. I know all the economic issues are true but the Men's Basketball team has seemed to somewhat flourish over the same period. I hope things get turned around. Some of the toughest teams I ever saw came out of Martin County.
Here is the point I think Sheldon Clark just goes in cycles. Matney was there for 20 Years and only had 8 playoff wins and only played in 2 Regional championships. Hager has only been there 10 years and already has more playoff wins and has already played in more regional championships. But here is something odd if you look at the records Matney's first 10 years he was 58 and 58 at Sheldon Clark and in Hager's first 10 years he is 59 and 58. It sounds like Mr. Friday Nights is sore for some reason or just don't like Hager but the facts don't lie. Everybody thinks Matney was so great at Sheldon Clark but look at his records for 20 years. Hager has already done more in Half that if you look at success.
I posted all this information because for some reason Friday you must have something against SC or Hager or just trying to cause problems because all your posts are poking at them but LOOK at the facts. Name me one thing great that Matney did at SC. 8 playoff wins in 20 Years now with that said Matney has done an excellent job at JC and hopefully after this year they will be in the state championships because highlands and cov cath is out.
3sportfan,

I wish Hager the very best and think he has done a great job with the "Cards" he was dealt (Pun Intended). Noone wants to see Sheldon Clark regain their form more than myself. I also want to see Hager have a long and fruitful career there.

With that said, I do have to play Devil's Advocate. Matney took over the Sheldon Clark program when it was an afterthought and extremely weak and built them into one of the better programs in EKY by his departure. He built the feeder system, gave them an identity, and gave them their first taste of success.

Hager took over Sheldon Clark at it's highest point and you can argue his first 3-4 years were the assisted by what Matney had done.

Though their records are the same essentially you have to factor the trajectory of how they came to those records and IMHO you have to give Matney credit for being the one to pioneer the program.

With that said, even Jim Matney would struggle to win games the past two years with the SC Roster and all the issues they have had in addition to a strong schedule.
3sportfan Wrote:I posted all this information because for some reason Friday you must have something against SC or Hager or just trying to cause problems because all your posts are poking at them but LOOK at the facts. Name me one thing great that Matney did at SC. 8 playoff wins in 20 Years now with that said Matney has done an excellent job at JC and hopefully after this year they will be in the state championships because highlands and cov cath is out.

You act like you know first hand about Sheldon Clark football 3sport. Something tells me that you were an assistant at Sheldon Clark in the past under Jim. Am I correct?
Went to college with him at Alice Lloyd. If you have read my posts I found this under old records which was put on the internet by Curtis Crye. Don't have a clue who that is but that is where all the info is listed.
3sportfan Wrote:I posted all this information because for some reason Friday you must have something against SC or Hager or just trying to cause problems because all your posts are poking at them but LOOK at the facts. Name me one thing great that Matney did at SC. 8 playoff wins in 20 Years now with that said Matney has done an excellent job at JC and hopefully after this year they will be in the state championships because highlands and cov cath is out.

You have mis-read my intentions. I was simply not aware that Sheldon Clark had such a rough couple of years. I knew of last year but not much prior. I do not follow Sheldon Clark closely. Nothing against Coach Hager. He had Sheldon Clark in the hunt for a state title just a few years ago it seems. Simply hate to see a team as proud as Sheldon Clark go through tough years.

The Matney questions are ridiculous as he built a football team from the ground up to a well respected Mountatin Team. You compare Hager's first 10 years to Matney's when Matney was taking a new program while Hager had an established program with pride and feeder systems in place. That is an unfair comparison IMO.
3sportfan you're not fooling anyone. I know exactly who you are.
I am glad someone does because sometimes I fool myself. Didn't mean to hit a nerve and really don't understand why you take things so personal unless you throw rocks at a glass house there coach. Good luck this year at JC
3sports fan beware he may call your mommy if you touch a nerve. the truth really seems to hurt Dons feelings
and just to make a point you guys act like matney built Scs program from the ground up which may be true to a point but most of his successful seasons he had multiple players that came from out of county so its all how you look at the picture i reckon.
Most of Matney's successful teams had players from outside the county? That's absurd! Name the years you are referencing.
why start an argument we all know how he operates
Had to work last night so could anyone tell me how SC looked last night
We all have a couple of down years but Sheldon Clark will be Back!!!!!!!
The cards looked like a new team last night compared to last year. More experience and talent back that didn't play last year.
Who did they scrimmage?

Any details?
They scrimmaged Fairview and Magoffin County. They looked much improved from last season. There is still much work for them to do but they are going to win some games and be more competitive this season.

Blake Harless is going to be the starting QB for this football team. There is a huge gap between him and the next guy.
what new players do they have to make up that much of a difference from last year
I hope that SC gets things right. I want district 8 to be strong from top to bottom. I would love to see Belfry, Lawrence, Sheldon, and Pike all throwing down and pushing each other every year. I think having a strong district will only make all of us better.
Sounds like you all need a trip to the PIZZA STOP!
Pages: 1 2