Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Class 1a - Best of the Best Challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
While we're all here twittling our thumbs waiting on the HS football season to begin, I thought it'd be fun to have a little debate of Who's the Best of the Best 1a State Champion in the modern era. I'm going back to 1998, so, any teams prior to that aren't eligible. The reason I went back this far is because you can go on the KHSAA scoreboard and that's how far it goes back where you can see the records, the points scored, schedules, etc.. With that said, it's how it's going to work:

1) Rank the Top 5 teams only of the past 16 State Championship winning teams. You can only rank 5 of these and only rank the winning teams 1 to 5.

2) You can debate, poster for a team, talk about what you remember about any of these teams, etc, however, you can only debate after you do your rankings. No talking till your votes are in.

3) I'll leave this up for voting until the friday before the season starts(8/15) & then tally the results.

4) After I tally the results, I'm going to have stats posted from each team that will include various stats and a point system that'll also rank each team based on these facts.

5) We'll then compare the 2 results and see who comes closest to being right.

6) All you have to do is vote and then let the discussion begin. I'll take care of the rest.

7) This will give us bored HS FB fans some fodder to discuss till the actual 2014 season begins.

Here's the teams to choose from and little history about each.

1998 - Middlesboro Yellow Jackets(14-1) - Beat Mayfield 27-6 in finals. Only loss was at the hands of 3a power and crosstown rival Bell Co 21-18. They outscored opponents by a score of 703-171.

1999 - Beechwood Tigers(13-2) - Beat Hancock Co 45-22 in finals. Lost to Bellevue 17-0 and to Newport 25-2. They outscored opponents by a score of 547-109.

2000 - Danville Admirals(14-1) - Beat NCC 23-9 in finals. Only loss was at the hands of 3a power and crosstown rival Boyle Co 47-0. They outscored opponents by a score of 501-124.

2001 - Danville Admirals(13-2) - Beat NCC 14-13 in finals. Lost to Oldham Co 36-35 and to Boyle Co 24-20. Outscored opponents by a score of 554-163.

2002 - Mayfield Cardinals(15-0) - Beat Beechwood 14-7 in finals. Outscored opponents by a score of 489-117.

2003 - Danville Admirals(14-1) - Beat Beechwood 42-7 in finals. Only loss was to Boyle Co 45-28. They outscored opponents by a score of 674-158.

2004 - Beechwood Tigers(14-1) - Beat Danville 23-7 in finals. Only loss was to 3a Rival Cov Catholic 26-25. They outscored opponents by a score of 649-176.

2005 - NCC Thoroughbreds(13-2) - Beat Mayfield 42-7 in finals. Lost to Cov Cath 42-0 and to Beechwood 24-21. Outscored opponents by a score of 573-179.

2006 - NCC Thoroughbreds(10-5) - Beat Danville 37-34 in finals. Lost to Bwood 28-21, Cov HCross 10-7, Cov Cath 35-14, Ryle 32-20 & Belfry 7-0. They outscored opponents by a score of 453-230.

2007 - Beechwood Tigers(13-2) - Beat LCA 38-35 in finals. Lost to NCC 41-28 & to Cov Cath 14-7. They outscored opponents by a score of 568-202.

2008 - Beechwood Tigers(14-1) - Beat Hazard 14-7 in finals. Only loss was to NCC 31-20. They outscored opponents by a score of 591-124.

2009 - LCA Eagles(14-1) - Beat Mayfield 55-19 in finals. Only loss was to crosstown rival & 3a power Lex Catholic 27-26. They outscored opponents by a score of 733-243.

2010 - Mayfield Cardinals(15-0) - Beat Hazard 47-6 in finals. They outscored opponents by a score of 737-147.

2011 - Hazard Bulldogs(13-2) - Beat Mayfield 24-6 in finals. Lost to Somerset 14-0 and to Breathitt Co 35-34. They outscored opponents by a score of 586-207.

2012 - Mayfield Cardinals(14-1) - Beat Fairview 55-8 in finals. Only loss was to 4a power WCentral 42-28. They outscored opponents by a score of 691-217.

2013 - Mayfield Cardinals(14-1) - Beat Williamsburg 42-0 in finals. Only loss was to Caldwell Co 48-41. Outscored opponents by a score of 636-233.

There you go, have fun..
1) 2010 Mayfield Cardinals
2) 1998 Middlesboro Yellow Jackets
3) 2009 LCA Eagles
4) 2003 Danville Admirals
5) 2004 Beechwood Tigers
1998 middlesboro
2009 LCA Eagles
2010 Mayfield
2005 NCC
2012 Mayfield
2010 Mayfield
2009 LCA
1998 Middlesboro
2012 Mayfield
2003 Danville

A lot of 2A teams. Confusednicker:
Heres some stats for you:

Highest Scoring Teams

1) 2010 Mayfield - 737 pts
2) 2009 LCA - 737 pts
3) 1998 Middlesboro - 703 pts
4) 2012 Mayfield - 691 pts
5) 2003 Danville - 674 pts
6) 2004 Beechwood - 649 pts
7) 2013 Mayfield - 636 pts
8) 2008 Beechwood - 591 pts
9) 2011 Hazard - 586 pts
10) 2005 NCC - 573 pts
11) 2007 Beechwood - 568 pts
12) 2001 Danville - 554 pts
13) 1999 Beechwood - 547 pts
14) 2000 Danville - 501 pts
15) 2002 Mayfield - 489 pts
16) 2006 NCC - 453 pts
Heres some more:

Least Points Allowed

1) 1999 Beechwood - 109 pts
2) 2002 Mayfield - 117 pts
T3) 2000 Danville - 2008 Beechwood - 124 pts
5) 2010 Mayfield - 147 pts
6) 2003 Danville - 158 pts
7) 2001 Danville - 163 pts
8) 1998 Middlesboro - 171 pts
9) 2004 Beechwood - 176 pts
10) 2005 NCC - 179 pts
11) 2007 Beechwood - 202 pts
12) 2011 Hazard - 207 pts
13) 2012 Mayfield - 217 pts
14) 2006 NCC - 231 pts
15) 2013 Mayfield - 233 pts
16) 2009 LCA - 243 pts
1) 98 Middlesboro
2) 2010 Mayfield
3) 99 Beechwood
4) 2009 LCA
5) 2012 Mayfield

98 'Boro and 09 LCA could score w anyone, Middlesboro only gave up 20+ points to Bell, Corbin, Breathitt, and Pikeville. They blanked or gave up 12 or less to everyone else. LCA wasnt as strong defensively as the other in my top 5, imo. 99 Beechwood's defense was stout, one of thebest defenses in sigle A(maybe statewide) history especially coming out of 4 classes. 2010 Mayfield was probably the most well rounded team. Fun topic... Cool thread.
That danville/ncc game in 2006 was absolutely one of the best games ive ever watched in my life.
1) 2010 Mayfield
The first and most obvious reason is that this team was one of only 2 teams on the list that was undefeated. No one could find the correct code to stop this offensive jaugurnat. They were #1 in scoring on the list and #5 in points allowed on this list. Along the way they defeated a solid 3a team in PT that went to the semis before losing to the eventual state champions. They also beat a fairly solid 6a team in Graves Co that lost in the second round of the playoffs to Male. This team only allowed 1 team all year to score 20 points on them, not more than 20. That was the 3a semi final team of PT. They played an undefeated Hazard team in the state championship and almost had a running clock on them in the first half.
2) 2002 Mayfield
Again the most obvious reason is that they were one of only 2 undefeated teams on this list. They were #2 on the list in least amount of points allowed and #15 on the list in scoring. This was a different era though when it was all about the running game and there was not as much scoring. No one all year could crack this defense though. This team sent at least 5 players on to play college ball, 1 of which was at UK. The really good things are things the average person would not pick up on though. This team beat 2 out of state traditional large school power house teams along the way. They never allowed a single team to score more than 22 points and only 1 cracked 20 on them. They also beat 3a power Marshall Co who lost to the eventual state champions in the semis. They also beat Danville, who beat the 3a state champions that year. They also beat PT who went to the 3rd round of the 3a playoffs.
3) 2009 Lexington Christian
I am surprised that more of you do not remember this team. They had a monster of a team in 2009. This team had a great passing game, a load at rb and a great defense. They laid the smack down on a Mayfield team that no one other than 2a Caldwell could beat. The reason for that loss to Caldwell was it was the sloppiest monsoon type rainstorm and field conditions you ever saw. This LCA team had the 2nd most scoring offense on the list. They were ranked #1 all but 1 or 2 weeks of the whole year and the Mayfield team they beat at state was the only other team that held that position that year.
Not to mention they beat the team that beat the 3a state champions of that year.
4) 1998 Middlesboro
This is one of the most impressive defensive teams that I have seen in my many visits to the state championships. It seemed like this team was in Mayfield's backfield before every snap. They are still ranked #3 highest scoring on this list, from a run first era. They were also ranked #8 on this list in least points allowed. They only loss they took was to a much bigger school and it was by a field goal. I cannot say enough about this team.
5) 2000 Danville
This team was one that kind of sparked the trend for the Admirals through their run in the 2000's. It seemed like Danville was feared by everyone during that time. This team helped to drive that fear. They still rank #3 in least points allowed on this list. This team and the 2001 team helped spark the #2 team on my list to being what they were. Those 2 Danville teams were the driving force behind the Cards undefeated 2002 season.
Nice thread..

A few things to add for consideration:

1998 Middlesboro- Their lone loss as mentioned was to Bell. Bell finished 10-2 losing to Belfry in the 2nd Round of the 3A Playoffs. Beechwood was their big win. The Tigers were undefeated and #1 and had defeated Ironton (OH), CovCath, Ryle, Boyle County, and NewCath.

1999 Beechwood- Their two losses were to bellevue and Newport and both were unusually strong that year. Bellevue went 12-1 (only losing to Beechwood in the playoffs) and Newport went 9-2.

2000 Danville- As mentioned Boyle was their only loss, but this was the 2nd year of Boyle's dynasty run and they were possibly one of the Top 3 teams in KY regardless of class. Boyle obliterated all comers save LexCath (the 2nd best team in their class and probably Top 10 in the entire State). Danville also beat a good Breathitt County team, a SemiFinalist Corbin team, a very good Bardstown team, and an excellent Mayfield.

2001 Danville- Once again Boyle was a machine that year and won the State Title. Oldham was a quality team going 9-4 in the old 4A and that loss was in Double OT. Glasgow was a very good team (Semi Finals) and obviously Mayfield.

2002 Mayfield- Beat a very good Danville team who actually beat Boyle that year, a very good Hopkinsville team, a solid PT team, and Evansvilel Matre Dei

2003 Danville- Boyle was lone loss and they dominated 3A crushing Highlands for title. Danville also beat Highlands.

2004 Beechwood- LOne loss to COvCath...CC was solid pushing two GCL teams.

2005 NewCath- Got crushed by a very good CovCath and lost to a solid Beechwood.

2006 NewCath- Lost in the opener by 1 to a solid Belfry team, loss to a so-so Ryle, a so-so CovHoly Cross, and decent CovCath and Beechwood teams. Got hot in playoffs.

2007 Beechwood- Loss to a decent CovCath and a solid NewCath (2A Runner-Up) in the regular season. Beat a solid Pburg and a pretty good LCA.

2008 Beechwood- Lone loss was to NewCath the solid 2A Runner-Up, beat a down CovCath, and a decent Pburg

2009 LCA- Lone loss was to a solid but not exceptional LexCath, beat traditionally powerful CPA out of TN, a decent Breathitt Co, a decent Corbin, and steamrolled nearly everyone they played.

2010 Mayfield- Obviously undefeated with wins over 3A SemiFinalists PT, solid Beechwood, previously undefeated Hazard, and several wins playing up vs decent teams

2011 Hazard- Beat the Virginia 1A Runner-Ups and a very good Mayfield team. Lone losses came to a very strong Breathitt County and a 2A Semi-Finalist Somerset. Beat a pretty stout Pikeville in the Semi's who other two losses were both to State Champs.

2012 Mayfield- Lost to 5A Warren Central who may have been the #2 team in their class, beat a little down PT, a solid Murray, and beat up on the 2A Runner Up Caldwell County. Steamrolled previously undefeated Fairview and beat a solid Beechwood.

2013 Lone loss to a solid Caldwell County who was considered among the best in 2A, beat 3A Semi Finalist PT, a solid 6A McCracken County, a stout Murray, and crushed Wburg.
For Me:
1. 2000 Danville
2. 2002 Mayfield
3. 2012 Mayfield
4. 2009 LCA
5. 1998 Middlesboro
IMO, the 2003 Danville team was better than either the 00 or 01 team. The 03 squad beat Highlands that year and had a much more prolific offense than the the other 2 did.

The 2002 Mayfield team wasn't the juggernaut offensive squad that the other 3 Cardinal teams on the list were, but, it did have a nasty defense. The thing I remember most about that particular team was a dominating OL and DL and how business like they were. Very methodical and never seemed to get rattled or too high or too low> Just a very confident group.

That 1998 M'boro team beat an undefeated and juggernaut Beechwood team in the semi's and an undefeated juggernaut Mayfield team in the finals. Those 2 opponents, had they won state that particular year, would have been ones that would have been high on this list. Not only did the Jackets beat both, but, they did so convincingly. They also hammered Breathitt Co that year, who was a 2a semifinalist and a very strong Corbin team. There D was stout, but, they had a Winn kid that consistently put the ball out of the endzone and going 80 yards every drive was a tough feat, plus if there O got to the opponents 30, they were at least good for 3 points.
I don't want to sell the 2012 Mayfield team short either. They played a brutal schedule that year and had about as stout an offensive team as the 2010 team. That team also just hammered teams all year, especially the 1a teams. They destroyed the 2a runnerup Caldwell team by a 48-7 score that year, which was very impressive and there only loss was to a poweful 5a team in WCentral, in the opening game of the year, in which they had tied in the 4th qtr only to run out of gas late in the Aug heat.
Danville 2003 team was IMO the best. They had all the tools. Then I would say the 2010 Mayfield team would be next.
This thread makes me miss the Danville of old.

Man they were a powerhouse for so many years.

Still my all-time favorite jersey for a KY team as well. The only team that I liked their look more than Belfry's. Love the royal blue with the silver pants and that silver helmet with their unique logo.
1. 2010 mayfield cardinals 2. 1998 middlesboro yellowjackets 3. 2003 danville admirals 4. 2008 beechwood tigers 5. 1999 beechwood tigers
In my opinion the top two should be very clear cut. These were the only 2 undefeated teams and both played a very brutal schedule. One allowed 1 team to score 20 points against them. The other allowed 1 team to score 22 points against them. Outside of that for the most part they brutalized teams. The 2002 team beat the semi finalist in 3a. That team only lost to the eventual state champs on the road by one touchdown. They also beat the team that beat the eventual state champs. They also went to a much bigger Evansville Mater Dei that year and beat them. The 2010 team also beat the 3a semi finalist. This team also went on the road to Louisville Holy Cross in the 3rd round. They got delayed by an accident and got off the bus late. They lost one of their best rec in warm ups. Before they could get their feet under them, they were already down 2 touchdowns. They ended up putting a running clock on Holy Cross. Then they went on the road and wore out a very good Beechwood team. Then they finished of the mountains best hope in the undefeated Bulldogs and put a running clock on them. They had a running clock in 11 of their 15 games.
mysonis55 Wrote:In my opinion the top two should be very clear cut. These were the only 2 undefeated teams and both played a very brutal schedule. One allowed 1 team to score 20 points against them. The other allowed 1 team to score 22 points against them. Outside of that for the most part they brutalized teams. The 2002 team beat the semi finalist in 3a. That team only lost to the eventual state champs on the road by one touchdown. They also beat the team that beat the eventual state champs. They also went to a much bigger Evansville Mater Dei that year and beat them. The 2010 team also beat the 3a semi finalist. This team also went on the road to Louisville Holy Cross in the 3rd round. They got delayed by an accident and got off the bus late. They lost one of their best rec in warm ups. Before they could get their feet under them, they were already down 2 touchdowns. They ended up putting a running clock on Holy Cross. Then they went on the road and wore out a very good Beechwood team. Then they finished of the mountains best hope in the undefeated Bulldogs and put a running clock on them. They had a running clock in 11 of their 15 games.

Being undefeated doesnt assure you are the best though. Just means you were better than the 15 teams you played that year.

For example the 2000 Boyle County team that gave Danville their only loss would have also defeated Mayfield in either of their undefeated seasons as well. That Boyle team was one of the Top 3 overall teams in the State that year and out of all the years given was arguably the toughest team any 1A ever faced.

You can't punish Danville for losing that game, much like you can't punish Mayfield for losing to a very good Warren Central in 2012 who may very well have won the 5A State Title that year if not for Bowling Green.
While being undefeated isn't the be all, tell all, it should merit some weight when comparing teams. One thing about this type debate, I like to look at the entire body of work, who was the non district schedule, how did they beat them, how much did they dominate in there own class, etc, but, if all things are still pretty equal, then I'd lean towards choosing the undefeated team. Ya'll may be very surprised by the outcome once all these factors and a few more come into play and the whole body of work is tallied up and averaged out.. I've already calculated everything up, just gonna wait till we get all votes in before releasing it.
KYHSFBFan Wrote:While being undefeated isn't the be all, tell all, it should merit some weight when comparing teams. One thing about this type debate, I like to look at the entire body of work, who was the non district schedule, how did they beat them, how much did they dominate in there own class, etc, but, if all things are still pretty equal, then I'd lean towards choosing the undefeated team. Ya'll may be very surprised by the outcome once all these factors and a few more come into play and the whole body of work is tallied up and averaged out.. I've already calculated everything up, just gonna wait till we get all votes in before releasing it.

I definitely agree with this... being undefeated still speaks volumes because it means they never tasted defeat. Hard to argue against a team who never lost.

With that said, it brings the whole Boise State side of the argument into play. By no means am I saying this is a direct comparison in this case... but if Boise State goes 12-0 playing the 65th ranked SOS, Alabama goes 11-1 with the 15th ranked SOS, and Florida State goes 10-2 with the best SOS, who gets the nod for the Championship Game?

There is definitely a very strong argument for both Mayfield teams that went undefeated... one I had as a very close 2nd..the other I could very easily see being as high as the 3rd team..just in my particular preference I had them around #6 by the thinnest of margins.
Just think most of these teams are 2A now or next year..Confusednicker:
The one thing pretty common amongst all these teams, they've all played really good non district schedules. In Danvilles case where they ended at 14-1 with its only loss to Boyle. As good as Boyle was, losing 47-0 hurts there resume a bit. Even losing 28-7 or something similar would have helped there chances some in this debate.
Okay we are talking about 2 undefeated teams that beat teams that were supposed to be way over their heads. I think in 2002 it shows they could have won 1a and 3a in a four class system. They beat 1 of the 3a semi finalist and beat the team that beat the eventual 3a state champions. They beat a Danville team that won it all in 2000,2001 & 2002. They also beat the other power of 1a at that time in Beechwood. They did all of that and only allowed 1 team to score 20 or more. The 2010 team blitzed everyone on their schedule, even the only undefeated team from the east. They put 11 running clock games on the board and beat another semi finalist in 3a. That semi finalist team played the eventual champs tough and were short their 2 main skill players when they did and it was on the road. So, we should say they are not as good as a Middlesboro team that lost to a 3a team that didn't even make it to the semis. Or should it be a 2000 Danville team that got beat by another 3a team. I think if that's the case, you may be right.
Top 3 were tough to pick. 2010 Mayfield was incredible at every position and just rolled through their schedule. 2003 Danville would've been undefeated if not for one of the greatest teams in state history, plus they beat a really good Highlands team in Ft. Thomas. 2004 Beechwood had toughest schedule, and NCC or Danville would easily be in their spot if they won state. We'll never know how 03 Danville and 10 Mayfield would've done head to head. I'm pretty sure 03 Danville would've beaten 04 Beechwood.

1. 2010 Mayfield Cardinals (15-0)

2. 2003 Danville Admirals (14-1)

3. 2004 Beechwood Tigers (14-1)

4. 2002 Mayfield Cardinals (15-0)

5. 2009 LCA Eagles (14-1)
The 09 LCA team may not have had the greatest defense, and that may ultimately hurt them in this debate, but, there offense was pretty impressive and they had a kicker that could consistently hit field goals from 40-50 yards and he also kicked the ball out of the endzone the majority of the time, forcing teams to have to drive the ball 80 yds to score.. That teams particular offense had one of the best lineman in the state in West, one of the best WRs, one of the best RBs and one of the best QBs. That offense was special and very balanced. Hard to stop that group.

That 2005 NCC team was awefully good, as well. They were an impressive passing team and there QB could beat you just as bad with his feet. They likely won't get as many votes as they deserve, but, they were still a really good team.
Alot of chatter about the 10 and 02 Mayfield teams and rightfully so, but, the 2012 team was also special. People don't give that Championship game it's just due. Fairview was undefeated and steamrolling teams all year and had the 3 headed mosters at RB and all 3 were exceptional. That Fairview team set alot of offensive rushing recordsthat year and were no pushovers. I remember before the game, the TV announcers just raving about how good that offense was and how was Mayfield'd outsized DL going to have any shot at stopping them. They did think Mayfield would get there points, but, they figured it'd be a back and forth game, but, from the 1st minute to the last, it was all Mayfield. That 55-8 score shocked me.
KYHSFBFan Wrote:Alot of chatter about the 10 and 02 Mayfield teams and rightfully so, but, the 2012 team was also special. People don't give that Championship game it's just due. Fairview was undefeated and steamrolling teams all year and had the 3 headed mosters at RB and all 3 were exceptional. That Fairview team set alot of offensive rushing recordsthat year and were no pushovers. I remember before the game, the TV announcers just raving about how good that offense was and how was Mayfield'd outsized DL going to have any shot at stopping them. They did think Mayfield would get there points, but, they figured it'd be a back and forth game, but, from the 1st minute to the last, it was all Mayfield. That 55-8 score shocked me.

Totally agree.... and as I mentioned above...though they had a loss... that was an excellent team that beat them and one of the better Warren Central teams they ever fielded. Their schedule was substantially stronger that year than the 2010 team's and aside from the Warren Central loss they rolled through it. I also think 1A was a little stronger in 2012 as compared to 2010...at least on the West side of the bracket.
I agree that 2012 was a strong team. I had the luxury of watching all of these teams from Mayfield every week though. I don't mean to dis any of them but, that team was not as tough as 2002 or 2010. Most of the key players from 12 were on the 10 team they just had more key players and a harder nosed line. I just truly believe they are a step or 2 behind those 2 undefeated teams.
Enough with the 1999 Beechwood team. Ugh. Sad
mysonis55 Wrote:I agree that 2012 was a strong team. I had the luxury of watching all of these teams from Mayfield every week though. I don't mean to dis any of them but, that team was not as tough as 2002 or 2010. Most of the key players from 12 were on the 10 team they just had more key players and a harder nosed line. I just truly believe they are a step or 2 behind those 2 undefeated teams.

I think the 10 team was the best of these 4 being discussed, but, I'd put the 12 team ahead of the 02 team. The 02 team had a great D and a solid running game, but, were alot more one-dimensional than the 12 team. The 12 team was Jackson's sr year and he was on a mission after his subpar performance in the 2011 finals. He played possessed all year long and that intensity rubbed off on the whole team.. That team was about as tough and hardnosed as any of them and they had as fast a receiving corp as they ever had with Jordan Brown and Deion Jackson. Beating that Caldwell team that year 48-7 was as impressive a win as any the 02 team had. They also had 2-3 other wins that year right up there with any the 02 team had.. Both were great teams, but, I think the 12 team would have been to fast and diverse for the 02 team to have kept up with..
Pages: 1 2 3 4