Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hardest Counties To Live In
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The New York Times recently posted an article releasing what they consider the hardest counties to live in from first to last.
Whats so sad about this article? 6 of the top 10 hardest countries to live in are in EKY, including the hardest county to live in in the entire nation, Clay County.

Annie Lowrey writes in the Times Magazine this week about the troubles of Clay County, Ky., which by several measures is the hardest place in America to live.

The Upshot came to this conclusion by looking at six data points for each county in the United States: education (percentage of residents with at least a bachelor’s degree), median household income, unemployment rate, disability rate, life expectancy and obesity. We then averaged each county’s relative rank in these categories to create an overall ranking.

(We tried to include other factors, including income mobility and measures of environmental quality, but we were not able to find data sets covering all counties in the United States.)

The 10 lowest counties in the country, by this ranking, include a cluster of six in the Appalachian Mountains of eastern Kentucky (Breathitt, Clay, Jackson, Lee, Leslie and Magoffin), along with four others in various parts of the rural South: Humphreys County, Miss.; East Carroll Parish, La.; Jefferson County, Ga.; and Lee County, Ark.

Check out the interactive map on the link. Its pretty interesting.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/upshot...html?_r=1#

Heres some counties that are pretty popular on this site:
(EKY Counties make up the top 4 spots)
Clay County: 3135 out of 3135 (1st Place)
Jackson County: 3134 out of 3135 (2nd Place)
Leslie County: 3133 out of 3135 (3rd place)
Lee County: 3132 our of 3135 (4th Place)
Breathitt County: 3129 out of 3135 (6th Place)
Magoffin County: 3127 out of 3135 (8th Place)

Bell County: 3110 out of 3135
Harlan County 3112 out of 3135
Pike County: 2950 out of 3135
Johnson County: 3046 out of 3135
Whitley County: 2912 out of 3135
Warren County: 1285 out of 3135
Fayette County 614 out of 3135
Jefferson County 1600 out of 3135

In other words, a paper from New York decided to take the counties in this country and rank them. In there finding they think EKY as a whole is the hardest place to live in the country.

Check out the link, theres some good pics in it as well of pictures they took of EKY counties that pretty much sums it up.
Very surprised to not see Floyd County on this list.
Spud6 Wrote:Very surprised to not see Floyd County on this list.

Every county in the country is on the list if you click on the link and look at the map.

Floyd County ranks 3090 out of 3135 counties in America, or the 45th worst county in the country.
Here is a follow up article from today

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/28/upshot...ref=upshot
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Here is a follow up article from today

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/28/upshot...ref=upshot

Gut that was a good read. Thanks for posting.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Every county in the country is on the list if you click on the link and look at the map.

Floyd County ranks 3090 out of 3135 counties in America, or the 45th worst county in the country.

I should have been more clear, I mean I was surprised to not see Floyd County higher on the list.
I could see where living that much closer to Gut and Granny would make life that much more complicated…who knew they would make national news...Confusednicker:

I kid, I kid…these two are beacons and examples of what can be accomplished in EKY. Amongst many other EKY bgr folks.

:Thumbs:
^
:notworthy: