Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pre-Season Mountain Top 10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
How would you have it?

Just taking a crack at it:

1. Pulaski County
2. Belfry
3. Johnson Central
4. Bell County
5. Corbin
6. Williamsburg
7. Harlan County
8. Pburg
9. Pike Central
10. Middlesboro
1. Pulaski County
2. Belfry
3. Bell Co.........a little bias(honesty)
4. Johnson Central
5. Harlan Co ..........too big of school to be ranked any lower plus Larky and talent
6. Corbin......6&7 are a tie for me returning a lot of kids that played last year
7. Middlesboro
8. Williamsburg
9. Pburg
10. Pike Central
I can't see Pike Central ahead of Pikeville.
1. Pulaski County ( I guess they are mts )
2. Belfry
3. Johnson Central
4. Corbin
5. Harlan County
6. Williamsburg 1A
7. Prestonsburg
8. Bell County
9. Pike County Central
10.Pikeville 1A
I know its preseason, but you have to have Somerset before Pburg and Middlesboro anywhere on that list.
PaytoPlay Wrote:I can't see Pike Central ahead of Pikeville.

I can..by a very narrow margin

They were toss-up teams last year. Two talented offenses with bad defenses and questionable line play. Pikeville losing Chase Maynard is a much bigger blow than PC losing their backs.I guess you can swing it a little if you want with Patton transferring to Pikeville.. but right now I would give the edge of PC with Justice and his WR's.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:I know its preseason, but you have to have Somerset before Pburg and Middlesboro anywhere on that list.

I respectfully disagree.

Pburg returns essentially their entire team from a squad who was an equal to Somerset last year. Somerset also had a knock down drag out fight to beat Middlesboro who returns practically everyone as well. Meanwhile the Jumpers lose arguably 9 of their Top 10 players either to graduation or transfer (Cheuvront, Lange, Doan, Fox, McEnroe, Gadberry, Jones, Skidmore, Griffith) .
Wburg before Corbin.
Pikeville ahead of pike central and pburg IMO.
mysonis55 Wrote:Wburg before Corbin.

Look closely Mysonis55 Corbin could be the team representing the west in 3A this year Confusederiously:
1 Pulaski Co
2 Belfry
3 Johnson Central
4 Harlan Co
5 Bell Co
6 Corbin
7 Williamsburg
8 Middlesboro
9 Pikeville
10 Hazard
1. Belfry
2. Johnson central
3. Pulaski- can't stop the run and couldn't beat #1or#2
4. Middlesboro
5. Bell Co
6. Williamsburg
7. Knox central
Harlan County should be #4
Your assessment is good, I was just giving Somerset the nod until one of those teams knocked them off.
1) Belfry
2)Plauski County
3) Johnson Central
4) Harlan County
5) Williamsburg
6)Bell County
7) Corbin
8)Middlesboro
9) Pikeville
10)Knox Central

I don't thik there is much difference between 8-10 and 1-2.
Plauski
Belfry
Johnson Cent.
Williamsburg, Corbin, Middlesboro,
Harlan Co.
P Burg
Pike Cent
Bell high
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I respectfully disagree.

Pburg returns essentially their entire team from a squad who was an equal to Somerset last year. Somerset also had a knock down drag out fight to beat Middlesboro who returns practically everyone as well. Meanwhile the Jumpers lose arguably 9 of their Top 10 players either to graduation or transfer (Cheuvront, Lange, Doan, Fox, McEnroe, Gadberry, Jones, Skidmore, Griffith) .
And Pikeville beat Pburg AND Middlesboro on that list. While losing Chase Hall (not Chase Maynard) and a couple others is large, the returning players got valuable experience last year that will compensate. Pikeville played an awful lot of freshmen and sophomores last year. Many of this years juniors were on the junior high team that beat Belfry 3 games, all by shutouts. There is serious talent and heart that is now molded by experience and time in the weight room. Don't sleep on Pikeville.
PHSForever Wrote:And Pikeville beat Pburg AND Middlesboro on that list. While losing Chase Hall (not Chase Maynard) and a couple others is large, the returning players got valuable experience last year that will compensate. Pikeville played an awful lot of freshmen and sophomores last year. Many of this years juniors were on the junior high team that beat Belfry 3 games, all by shutouts. There is serious talent and heart that is now molded by experience and time in the weight room. Don't sleep on Pikeville.

Not sleeping on them...I think there are about 6-7 teams really close to each other that can compete for the spots 7-10. I just have to see how Pikeville rebounds from losing Hall (dont know why I said Maynard) especially after their last game of the year against Raceland and how bogged down the Panther offense was outside of Hall. That's a huge loss for an offense that predicated itself on balance and loses a guy who accounted for nearly 14 points per game by himself.

Pburg was a completely different animal from the team Pikeville played in the first game of the season. The fact they return essentially 9 Starters each way including possibly the best QB in EKY and one of the better RB's commands attention. We will know right off the bat where those two stand though in a great opening week matchup. The fact Pikeville plays Hazard the week following (another team firmly in that cluster) will further sort it out.

That is some great small school football to open the season!
Pikeville gets P-burg and Hazard in back to back weeks.. That's Brutal...

Hazard plays Pikeville for there first game of the season and then gets the same P-burg team 5 weeks later.. Wow I sure wish football season would get here...
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Not sleeping on them...I think there are about 6-7 teams really close to each other that can compete for the spots 7-10. I just have to see how Pikeville rebounds from losing Hall (dont know why I said Maynard) especially after their last game of the year against Raceland and how bogged down the Panther offense was outside of Hall. That's a huge loss for an offense that predicated itself on balance and loses a guy who accounted for nearly 14 points per game by himself.

Pburg was a completely different animal from the team Pikeville played in the first game of the season. The fact they return essentially 9 Starters each way including possibly the best QB in EKY and one of the better RB's commands attention. We will know right off the bat where those two stand though in a great opening week matchup. The fact Pikeville plays Hazard the week following (another team firmly in that cluster) will further sort it out.

That is some great small school football to open the season!
Throw in Paintsville in Week 2 and the Panthers will find out early what they are made of.

Then Middlesboro a few weeks down the road. Pikeville will have its chance to make a claim for a spot in the MTN Top 10.
PHSForever Wrote:And Pikeville beat Pburg AND Middlesboro on that list. While losing Chase Hall (not Chase Maynard) and a couple others is large, the returning players got valuable experience last year that will compensate. Pikeville played an awful lot of freshmen and sophomores last year. Many of this years juniors were on the junior high team that beat Belfry 3 games, all by shutouts. There is serious talent and heart that is now molded by experience and time in the weight room. Don't sleep on Pikeville.

So your sayin since they shut out Belfry in Middle School that Pikeville better than who, BELFRY HIGH SCHOOL..just askin cause while yes Pikeville Middle did win and deserved that championship..But the BMS team lost a very intragul coach that year and the HEAD coach at BMS that year had kids in the wrong spot...my point is the same kids give or take one or two will be on the field this year again but at the high school level..(yes we got a couple WV kids that wasn't there but Pikeville has a couple from other schools that wasn't there either). So let's see who gets shut out...Not tryin to make an excuse it just is what it is...It will still be a 4 or 5 touchdown win once again.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Throw in Paintsville in Week 2 and the Panthers will find out early what they are made of.

Then Middlesboro a few weeks down the road. Pikeville will have its chance to make a claim for a spot in the MTN Top 10.

No cupcake schedule here, for sure. Football season can't get here soon enough.
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:So your sayin since they shut out Belfry in Middle School that Pikeville better than who, BELFRY HIGH SCHOOL..just askin cause while yes Pikeville Middle did win and deserved that championship..But the BMS team lost a very intragul coach that year and the HEAD coach at BMS that year had kids in the wrong spot...my point is the same kids give or take one or two will be on the field this year again but at the high school level..(yes we got a couple WV kids that wasn't there but Pikeville has a couple from other schools that wasn't there either). So let's see who gets shut out...Not tryin to make an excuse it just is what it is...It will still be a 4 or 5 touchdown win once again.
I do not want to speak for PHSF, but I am pretty sure he was not saying PHS will be better than Belfry. Only using that Middle School team's accomplishments (beating BMS those 3 times, for example) to show the group that will now be Juniors/Sophomores, while maybe not as experienced as others, like those playing for P'Burg or Hazard, they may be good enough to fill spots left by graduation to keep PHS ahead of teams like Hazard and P'Burg in 2014.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I do not want to speak for PHSF, but I am pretty sure he was not saying PHS will be better than Belfry. Only using that Middle School team's accomplishments (beating BMS those 3 times, for example) to show the group that will now be Juniors/Sophomores, while maybe not as experienced as others, like those playing for P'Burg or Hazard, they may be good enough to fill spots left by graduation to keep PHS ahead of teams like Hazard and P'Burg in 2014.
Oh my bad,maybe I took it a little wrong...
Very few teams are in Belfry's league, including Pikeville. And I understand EKUAlum05's point about Pikeville losing Hall being a big factor. I don't think Pikeville fans truly appreciated what they've gotten to watch for the past four years. But Pikeville is Pikeville. Yes, the Raceland game was ugly, but high winds took away the passing game, leaving only the running game with Hall and Charles. That certainly aided Raceland, who made the plays they had to in order to win and advance. Pikeville's schedule is heavy early and there are new faces in some key places, it will be interesting to see how they respond out of the gate. All the respect in the world to Prestonsburg and Hazard, those will be immense challenges. But the game I have circled is the Paintsville. Chirico has those Tigers believin'.
1. Pulaski County
2. Belfry
3. Corbin
4. Johnson Central
5. Middlesboro
6. Bell County
7. Harlan County
8. Williamsburg
9. Prestonsburg
10. Pike Central
1 Pulaski Co
2 Belfry
3 Johnson Central
4 Williamsburg
5 Harlan Co
6 Corbin
7 Bell Co
8 Prestonsburg
9 Knox Central
10 Pike Central
Why do pikeville and pike central not play each other? It could be a great game pretty much every year.
Bgrfan12 Wrote:Why do pikeville and pike central not play each other? It could be a great game pretty much every year.

It would.

Don't see it happening anytime in the near future, or at least while the current Head Coaches are at their respective positions.

Multiple different angles at play here in the constant political power struggle known as Pike County.

Remember Chapman has a history with Pikeville and McNamee with Pike Central. Throw on top of that the perceived caste system and hierarchy of programs, the Pike County Bowl with everyone's hand wanting in the cookie jar, and overlapping populations and it is highly doubtful we see this game in the near future.
1. Pulaski County
2. Johnson Central
3. Belfry
4. Harlan County
5. Corbin
6. Bell County
7. Williamsburg
8. Prestonsburg
9. Hazard
10. Pike Central
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8