Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: June Practices?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just curious as to how many times in a week does your team practice up until the dead period? I am not counting just lifting weights. I am talking about going out on the field and working.
bear claw Wrote:Just curious as to how many times in a week does your team practice up until the dead period? I am not counting just lifting weights. I am talking about going out on the field and working.

Seems to me that Paintsville is doing 3 days a week right now.
Russell three times a week.
Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 8a-10a.
As far as I know, 0. Weights only.
^ That is what LCC is doing. Weights, and some conditioning away from school. They have been doing some I stuff on there own which is awesome.
I don't even know that our weights are required. Our kids work hard though, maybe not as hard as the last few seasons unfortunately but I guess we'll see. I haven't been paying as much attention.
My friend...Belfry should be a model. We go two days a week. With the old Superintendant getting buses for the weeks through June would not even be a question but with the new Super might be the down fall with athletics in Harlan Co. We only run buses twice a week....this could be the down fall to HC sports.
bear claw Wrote:My friend...Belfry should be a model. We go two days a week. With the old Superintendant getting buses for the weeks through June would not even be a question but with the new Super might be the down fall with athletics in Harlan Co. We only run buses twice a week....this could be the down fall to HC sports.

Going to take a lot more than just doing stuff in June twice a week up until Dead Period to impact football.

Most people are doing 2-3 days a week.

Kids need to be kids. Heck, the coaches need time away. College coaches get paid 6-7 figures and they can't have any contact with their players for a month or two over the summer. The players themselves even go home for an entire Month (or entire summers at the lower levels where they can't afford to pay their players to attend summer school & stay at school to workout all summer long).

I'm all for working hard, but we live in a day and age now where it seems like...if you aren't doing something all the time, then you aren't working hard enough; which, couldn't be further from the truth.

Sounds to me like Belfry and Coach Haywood are the perfect model. There might be a reason why after 30+ years, he still has the gitty up to want to do this thankless, low paying gig.

As politically incorrect as it sounds, as well as against the grain for this day and time....June will have zero baring on the season.
From what I was told bell co is doing 2 days a week. They are having a great turnout with around 45-50 kids.

IMO it is just too hard to expect kids and parents to get to the school more than that. Especially in the rual areas of EKY. Some of those kids are traveling 30/45 minutes to get to the schools. That is a lot of time and money that most families don't have. I think running a bus is a great thing, I know Bell Co. Does that after the dead period through the regular season.
bear claw Wrote:My friend...Belfry should be a model. We go two days a week. With the old Superintendant getting buses for the weeks through June would not even be a question but with the new Super might be the down fall with athletics in Harlan Co. We only run buses twice a week....this could be the down fall to HC sports.

Shoot if we could run buses 2 days a week we'd feel like a college program..
Johnson Central - 0

With some participating in other sports and most kids taking on jobs, to earn a little spending money or to help support their family, it makes it tough to have all players in during the months of May and June. However, the weight room is open Monday-Thursday at various hours with coaches/instructors supervising their lifting and conditioning.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Going to take a lot more than just doing stuff in June twice a week up until Dead Period to impact football.

Most people are doing 2-3 days a week.

Kids need to be kids. Heck, the coaches need time away. College coaches get paid 6-7 figures and they can't have any contact with their players for a month or two over the summer. The players themselves even go home for an entire Month (or entire summers at the lower levels where they can't afford to pay their players to attend summer school & stay at school to workout all summer long).

I'm all for working hard, but we live in a day and age now where it seems like...if you aren't doing something all the time, then you aren't working hard enough; which, couldn't be further from the truth.

Sounds to me like Belfry and Coach Haywood are the perfect model. There might be a reason why after 30+ years, he still has the gitty up to want to do this thankless, low paying gig.

As politically incorrect as it sounds, as well as against the grain for this day and time....June will have zero baring on the season.

I could not disagree more with this Duck. Although I respect your logic, now is the time to start everything going into the season. O and D line are working technique, WR and DB's footwork and routes, backs and QB's the same with timing and reps, LB's on reads ect ect ect and the list goes on. Preparation now makes it like old habit after dead period but they continue to practice the same things the did before and are better at it because they have had earlier reps doing it.
The more you do something the better you are at it IMO.
I thought they were not allowed to practice until mid July.
mysonis55 Wrote:I thought they were not allowed to practice until mid July.

You cant practice during the dead period.
You can do weights and conditioning in June until the dead period.
Most teams do not, or make it voluntary at most, but some teams get conditioning in during this time.

I think you can look at it from two sides.
One, the kids come to practice in late july already in shape and and ready to go so you don't have to condition them to death and can actually work on things and get a jump, and that puts you way ahead for when you can go full contact in august.

On the flip side, I can see why some schools, especially smaller ones, do not. Give them there summer, let them work, have fun and enjoy vacation, but expect to start from scratch in july.

Its more of a pick your poison.
TigerBlues Wrote:I could not disagree more with this Duck. Although I respect your logic, now is the time to start everything going into the season. O and D line are working technique, WR and DB's footwork and routes, backs and QB's the same with timing and reps, LB's on reads ect ect ect and the list goes on. Preparation now makes it like old habit after dead period but they continue to practice the same things the did before and are better at it because they have had earlier reps doing it.
The more you do something the better you are at it IMO.

Likewise with yours. There is my kind of replies, then those that make people feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Both are needed.

Tell ya something you will never hear any cosches/ players say.

"Man those three weeks of 'practice' in June really dictated our season ".

Players. Players. Players. Players. Players. Players.
Okay, our facility is open to ours to workout but they don't practice. The reason I asked the question is because the thread here is titled June practice.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You cant practice during the dead period.
You can do weights and conditioning in June until the dead period.
Most teams do not, or make it voluntary at most, but some teams get conditioning in during this time.

I think you can look at it from two sides.
One, the kids come to practice in late july already in shape and and ready to go so you don't have to condition them to death and can actually work on things and get a jump, and that puts you way ahead for when you can go full contact in august.

On the flip side, I can see why some schools, especially smaller ones, do not. Give them there summer, let them work, have fun and enjoy vacation, but expect to start from scratch in july.

Its more of a pick your poison.

Agreed. Especially if you are at a school where you share the majority of your players with another (or two) sports.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Likewise with yours. There is my kind of replies, then those that make people feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Both are needed.

Tell ya something you will never hear any cosches/ players say.

"Man those three weeks of 'practice' in June really dictated our season ".

Players. Players. Players. Players. Players. Players.

And then again you will hear those other coaches and players say "if we had done this before the season we would have jelled more together and won more than we did" but aw shucks we got next year to look forward to. Tell that to your seniors.
I think it's good for the boys to be hitting the weights in off season (summer) but I don't know how mandatory it should be. This is also time for families to vacation and for the boys to work and try to get themselves things they want or need, ie a car.
I think the burg is going 5 days a week.
TigerBlues Wrote:And then again you will hear those other coaches and players say "if we had done this before the season we would have jelled more together and won more than we did" but aw shucks we got next year to look forward to. Tell that to your seniors.

Another feel good answer.

Look, I understand what you mean. I'm just letting you know through many of experiences...via playing in high school & all through my years of college, having coached/played at schools w/ a vast number of demographical make ups; that there is reality, then there is fantasy.

I'm not saying 'don't lift', not saying that at all (not implying that you thought I was), but HS KIDS not "practicing" for 3 weeks (about the average when you factor in Snow Days and Dead Period for a given year) in June has absolutely ZERO to do w/ the outcome of your season.
mysonis55 Wrote:I think it's good for the boys to be hitting the weights in off season (summer) but I don't know how mandatory it should be. This is also time for families to vacation and for the boys to work and try to get themselves things they want or need, ie a car.

Exactly.

June never was a big deal until passing leagues came around in the mid-late 90's. Then it became one of those things where coaches felt like they were supposed to be practicing.

For years it was graduation right around Memorial Day weekend, and then it was "The weight room is going to be open four days a week in June, twice a day to allow kids to come in around their summer jobs, etc & See ya the last Monday in July."

....and, I'm not so sure the quality of football was any less. Matter of fact, I know it wasn't.

Personally, I think all of this crap in the summer is one of the several factors why many struggle with numbers like they do.

Football already plays MUCH less and practices MUCH more than it's biggest competitors (basketball and baseball), and it's not even close. But, nahh...that' has nothing to do with people struggling with numbers.

Personally, I think we start way to early, but that's for another topic. Many states don't allow practice until the 1st of August (some being our neighbors, in VA, OH, IN...and, in Long Island NY, they don't start until the 2nd-3rd week of August with games starting the week after Labor Day). If we ever took this thing back to being a fall sport like it was intended to be, instead of the 3/4 summer sport that it seems like now..I think you would see a lot more participation.
mysonis55 Wrote:I think it's good for the boys to be hitting the weights in off season (summer) but I don't know how mandatory it should be. This is also time for families to vacation and for the boys to work and try to get themselves things they want or need, ie a car.

Legally....nothing can be mandatory until July 15th, per KHSAA.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Another feel good answer.

Look, I understand what you mean. I'm just letting you know through many of experiences...via playing in high school & all through my years of college, having coached/played at schools w/ a vast number of demographical make ups; that there is reality, then there is fantasy.

I'm not saying 'don't lift', not saying that at all (not implying that you thought I was), but HS KIDS not "practicing" for 3 weeks (about the average when you factor in Snow Days and Dead Period for a given year) in June has absolutely ZERO to do w/ the outcome of your season.

It wasn't meant as "a feel good answer" far from it. It's just an opinion like yours. If your coach feels the team doesn't need to be working out and practicing on timing, routes, ect then that's great but for the ones that do I would not minimize their work ethic as for what they did in June didn't matter because it does.
I think having the ability to go lift if you choose to and it being strongly suggested is plenty. I have 1 in baseball and I know several others on his team as well. We have most of ours working and 1 or 2 with summer basketball as well. I think we have to allow kids to be kids some of the time or they will miss that later.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:If we ever took this thing back to being a fall sport like it was intended to be, instead of the 3/4 summer sport that it seems like now..I think you would see a lot more participation.

FLD, if you ever run for "football emperor," you have my vote, sir.
That's funny. I think we should start a thread for that.
Old Jumper Wrote:FLD, if you ever run for "football emperor," you have my vote, sir.

lol Hilarious. I appreciate that. There seems to be a few of us, though, on here that seem to 'get it'.... or so I like to think. I say we just create a mob like back in the old days, and just impose our will on the others.
We have to be politically correct nowadays.
Pages: 1 2 3