Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Estill County 2015
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Estill County finished the 2014 season at 24-11 winning the 56th district tournament and 14th region tournament runner-up.

Estill County loses a lot of talent/starters from the 2014 team including starting pitcher Jacob Tuttle. Estill's biggest loses will be Jacob Tuttle, Cody Portwood, Trent Sparks and Wade French. Estill loses some more but those will be the biggest ones that will be missed.

Estill does return several good players. Brandon McKinney, Zach Withers, Andrew Farmer, Tanner Crowe, Kordel Day, Blake Harrison and Austin Blackwell (unless I'm mistaken, was the only one that hit a home run for Estill County this season and I think he went deep two or three times.)

As for the schedule, I'm assuming that; Breathitt County, Letcher Central, Wolfe County, Bourbon County, Madison Central, Madison Southernn, Model, Garrard County, Montgomery County and George Rogers Clark will be on it.

Powell County, Lee County, Owsley County are on it due to districts.

Estill's biggest hole that needs to be filled is the head coaching position. I think the Estill County administration will do a good job and finding a coach that will do good things for Estill County.

Estill County should still contend for a district title along with Powell County. Lee County could possibly surprise some people.
What's the scoop? Any names being thrown out there for this job?
Not heard a thing.
Varney from Powell will be at Estill next year
redsfan2345 Wrote:Varney from Powell will be at Estill next year

If that happens then WOW. Honestly, I wanted Varney from the start, before Estill hired Gene.
Varney would be a good hire for Estill and a bad loss for Powell
He can't beat Estill Co so tell me why it would be a good hire for the Engineer! Explain please.
KyCatlover Wrote:He can't beat Estill Co so tell me why it would be a good hire for the Engineer! Explain please.

Been at Powell County since 2006 (8 years)

Won 4 district championships (granted two of the district championships Estill won during that time was with Danny Wood as head coach and Estill won back to back region titles)

Been to the regional championship game 4 times, won 2 of those. Lost 4-3 to Woodford County (eventual state champs) in the first round of the state tournament a few years back

He always fields a good team.

214-110 (overall record @ Powell), 123-37 (vs. Region teams @ Powell), 48-22 (vs. District teams @ Powell)

vs. Top Teams in the Region (Hazard 7-2), (LCC 7-5), (PCC 10-5), (Estill County 12-15)
He's a darn good coach!
He had the better team the last three years and still couldn't beat estill.
Sounds like a good coach. Why would he leave PC? What does he teach? Anybody heard any names that have been consider?
KyCatlover Wrote:Sounds like a good coach. Why would he leave PC? What does he teach? Anybody heard any names that have been consider?

Estill offered and waiting to see if Powell will match the offer.
Sixth man Wrote:He had the better team the last three years and still couldn't beat estill.

I don't think he had the better team last season but I could see the previous two-three years going into last season
Just heard that Varney could be staying put. If that happens, wonder who Estill turns to next?
I don't think he puts a lot of time in his field, that's one strike and hasn't had a lot of control of the kids. He may be a good coach, I'd take combs over him any day
Varney don't go to estill, Brian Crowe should be there coach
OK Sixthman, explain to me why on gods green earth that Brian Crowe should be the coach! I can't wait to hear this!!
KyCatlover Wrote:OK Sixthman, explain to me why on gods green earth that Brian Crowe should be the coach! I can't wait to hear this!!

I honestly think that Brian would do a good job with Estill. Use to run Kiwanis little league ball park. Dad of former Engineer Blake Crowe and sophomore Tanner Crowe.

If Estill can't get a coach with head coaching experience, the first one on the list that I'd consider/offer the job to if I'm Estill is Brian.
So Strike your telling me just because he ran the ball park and is the father of a ex Estill Co player that he deserves the job and he can coach baseball?
KyCatlover Wrote:So Strike your telling me just because he ran the ball park and is the father of a ex Estill Co player that he deserves the job and he can coach baseball?

He lives & breathes baseball and he wants the position

Who would you want?
Ok cat lover let me explain, of what know estill don't pay much for a coach and not many teaching jobs open so no ones is going to stay here long if there a good coach. So u look with in and Brian Crowe lives,eats, and sleeps baseball. He would do it for the love not the money. And what I've seen he looks like he knows the game. I think he would be fair teach them and play the best. Knowing the game and coaching for the love not the money means a lot. Of what I've been told between varney and Crowe. I'd go with Crowe.
Varney turned down Estill County. The search continues
Jason Jewell maybe?
Jewell would be a bad choice. I like the guy but not for Estill!!
My choice would be Crowe. Also with him, you could probably bring in Blake to help. Also, I kinda wonder if anyone has ever contacted Kirby. I know for a fact he knows his baseball and does lessons at the baseball thing at Madison indoor in Richmond. But honestly I say it's gonna be Crowe.
Who wins 56 district next year
Montgomery County is open. Could we see Gene Combs lead Madison Southern and head back to Montgomery County?
Word is they may be going after a young coach who has tons of baseball experience and he's a mountain boy. Watched him play throughout high school and college and the kid knows the game. Let's just wait and see if there is any truth to it or not. I know these rumors go flying around but I think Combs from Breathitt County would do well for the engineers. May be young but the kid knows the game. Just landed in a bad situation at Breathitt last year. No one on the team had ever played varsity baseball. Took the engineers to 5 scoreless innings until they broke down. Hope the kid stays at Breathitt for both football and baseball sake, but he's too good to stick around there in my opinion. As far as The Crowe man goes. I saw him coaching middle school and he did fairly well. Good guy and players will play hard if they like their coach.
Don't think breathitt coach would be a good pic.
Sixth man Wrote:Don't think breathitt coach would be a good pic.

He landed in a bad situation at Breathitt County. Him and Crowe are similar. both are great baseball minds. Estill may not have a choice but to roll the dice and go this way. I don't see Matt Ginter (GRC head coach) or any other coach at a big time school applying for the position but I could be wrong. Kevin Clary just left East Jessamine for Sayre
Explain to me sixth man why he wouldn't be a good pick. In my 30 years of being around the game I believe when a young energetic coach takes over it usually works out. Especially if the kid knows the game very well. If Estill can not find a big name coach I would go with Combs. But I guess I have seen the kid play throughout his career and know he is more than capable of running the engineer program.
Pages: 1 2