Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Is The Tea Party Dead?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It wouldn't seem so going by the results in Virginia's 7th Congressional District Primary vote today. 20 year veteran Republican Eric Cantor, was crushed by Tea Party candidate Dave Brat by over 10 percentage points.

Is it possible that conservatives have finally awakened?
You beat me to it! I was just about to make a thread on this!

Honestly, Virginia confuses me. I don't think anybody expected that to happen. I did see some hope there a while back in the governor race. Even though the Republican lost (can't think of his name at this point), he won the majority of votes amongst the young.

Still, this is totally unexpected.
Definitely surprised.
Cantor was a huge deal, but I think as we go deeper and deeper into a horrible economy, states are going to stop worrying about senators who are good for the nation, and only worry about senators that vow to help there state, and there state only, which personally I see nothing wrong with.
Brats democratic challenge in the fall is also a professor at the same university isn't he?
Unrestricted primaries in Virginia, Democrats didn't have a primary.

You do the math.
Democrat voted out canter. :pondering:
I had no idea Cantor might lose, but I'm glad he did. Wishy Washy at best.
Beetle01 Wrote:Unrestricted primaries in Virginia, Democrats didn't have a primary.

You do the math.

All we got right now is data from exit polls. We'll need to wait until the board of elections certifies the results before we can do any math, right?
SKINNYPIG Wrote:I had no idea Cantor might lose, but I'm glad he did. Wishy Washy at best.

Agree 100%. Republicans suffer from the 'don't upset the applecart syndrome.' It really is their downfall because as was shown in Cantor's case, normal folks are more than a little tired of the present day establishment. In our view, it is okay to alienate folks who openly let their hatred of conservatism be known. In moving left all Republicans will do is inflame their detractors. Republicans are woefully confused on this matter. In moving to the left they have obviously closed the gap between themselves and the liberal/progressive ideals espoused by Dems. This has had the effect of making Republicans look weak and unsure. People want a clear choice, not a near choice.

Cantor and the rest of the RINOs believe the Republican party needs to moderate to the left to succeed in wooing left leaning voters. The news flash with regard to that goes as follows; if the voters are just leaning and not true believers, they're looking for men and women of conviction they can trust again to vote for. Men or women, who compromise traditional American values to get votes are political prostitutes of a sort and they give Dems all the ammo they need to mock them. I say, go out there and talk about what's right and declare yourself. If you can't win like that, you certainly had no hope of winning in the first place. If we lumped together every presidential scandal from 1930 to 2008, and compared them against the scandals of just the past 6 years, it would be like comparing the proverbial mole hill to Mount Everest. When the other side falls on it's face the way this administration has, it may provide some amount of satisfaction to Republicans. The damage being done however, will not be easily undone. It follows then that just pointing out their many woeful insufficiencies is not enough. Therefore, we need statesmen who understand and support the Constitution as intended by the founders and are not too stinking timid to say so.