Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The hottest gym you've been to/played in
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Last nights NBA Finals game between The Heat (no pun intended) and the Spurs was a sweatbox. The A/C unit went out... and it looked like misery.

So that got me thinking... what are some of the hottest gyms you've been to/played in.

No question in the 15th region... it's Paintsville.
Never been to Paintsville, but Hazard's gym was a sweat box one year!!

And by the way, it only got to 90 degrees in the gym last night. Geez!! We've made pro ball players a bunch of pansies, IMO.
Hottest I've been to for a game was Perry Central last season for the Knott County/Perry County region game. The hottest gym I've ever been was Alice Lloyd's for graduation but they've since installed air conditioning. The Dome at Betsy Layne always seems hot to me as well.
The Dome at Betsy Layne can get very hot. However, a few years ago we were at the old Virgie gym in Pike co. Middle school girls basketball, pre-season. End of July or the first of August, can't remember for sure but it had to be 120 degrees in there, it was like a furnace. Also, go to any event held at Pikeville High Schools gym in the summertime, it's almost overwhelming. I was told that though they remodeled the gym they forgot to put a/c in there.
Perry Central.

No AC and whenever there's a big game it's always miserable.
At Hazard they can at least crack the windows.

I will say there's some old gym over at Knott County close to the college that is absolutely a scorcher lol
Pinetop super dome..
Sheldon Clark's old gym
I can remember coach Runyon having the heat turned on during the basketball games when I was in school and being in the bleachers it was stupid hot. I remember the opposing coaches complaining to the refs. I agree with Pulp on this one but I've never been to any of the others mentioned.
Cumberland College Todd May's senior year. Pikeville had two good players May and a kid who weighed about 260. Cumberland went 10 deep. Cold as hell outside. Gym was unbearable. May got his 30 rest of Pikeville College wilted and Cumberland won by about 20. I believe that had heaters on under the bleachers. That was in their old cracker box.
Belfry Middle School gym (old Belfry High gym) can get very hot and uncomfortable. No A/C in gym.

Another is the Williamson Field House in Williamson, WV. This past year at the Hatfield-McCoy Shootout, I was sweating the entire time I was there that day.

Paintsville is a hot gym as well.
Paintsville
E's Army Wrote:Cumberland College Todd May's senior year. Pikeville had two good players May and a kid who weighed about 260. Cumberland went 10 deep. Cold as hell outside. Gym was unbearable. May got his 30 rest of Pikeville College wilted and Cumberland won by about 20. I believe that had heaters on under the bleachers. That was in their old cracker box.

I was going to say the old CC gym before I read your post.
That place will flat out burn you up. Extremely hot in there. Does it still have the big Indians painted on the wall or did they cover those up? I haven't been in there in over a decade.

As for gyms I remember, Whitley use to be really hot back when they just had the one old fan up at the top of the window that never worked. It kind of went with the place with its old squeaky floor and deadspots. A lots changed in the gym in the past 10 years.

If any of you local guys remember playing ball in the old rockholds gym, it was always hot. A couple of more that ring a bell is the old Bell County on 119 I think. I remember playing summer ball in there back when I was in school a couple of times in the late 90's, and it was really hot. Kind of looked like a gym youd see on the movie Hoosiers. Well that, or a cockfighting ring lol.

Mccreary always seemed really warm as well.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:A couple of more that ring a bell is the old Bell County on 119 I think. I remember playing summer ball in there back when I was in school a couple of times in the late 90's, and it was really hot. Kind of looked like a gym youd see on the movie Hoosiers. Well that, or a cockfighting ring lol.

The old Bell County gym on US 119 was demolished around 1995.
rojas Wrote:The old Bell County gym on US 119 was demolished around 1995.

Where am I thinking of then?
I know it was an old Bell County gym.
The seats when up in bleacher style all the way around it.

Maybe a Bell fan can help us out. I was just guessing on 119. I was a high school kid and cant remember where we went to.
rojas Wrote:The old Bell County gym on US 119 was demolished around 1995.

If you're talking about the gym just off from 119 on the river, it is still there. I was in there within the last month.
Really? I thought they bulldozed that place. I know they bulldozed the school it was attached to.
Franchise Wrote:If you're talking about the gym just off from 119 on the river, it is still there. I was in there within the last month.

Thanks. I knew I wasn't crazy.
Its seating is like a barn style around the court.
Its been over a decade since I was in there, but I knew there was still one, just wasn't sure if it was actually on 119 or not.
rojas Wrote:Really? I thought they bulldozed that place. I know they bulldozed the school it was attached to.

The school is still there too. It was used as an alternative school and vocational school until the new one was built next to Bell High a few years ago. That is still where I go to vote. You may be thinking of the old Ward Chapel school on 25E. It was bulldozed down to nothing.
Covington Holy Cross has postponed several games in its history due to heat and heat related issues like condensation on the floor, humidity

the gym is only supposed to seat 900 people, but they've squeezed over 1000 in there for big games
Old Bell high is still standing. And definitely hot in the evenings in summertime when the sun is shining through the windows causing more heat.
I would say that when Pikeville's gym had their AC unit down or whatever it was, that it was a very hot place to be in.
ArJay Wrote:Old Bell high is still standing. And definitely hot in the evenings in summertime when the sun is shining through the windows causing more heat.

I remember it well.
We played a few summer games in that gym.
My old favorite gym ever, Feds Creek.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I remember it well.
We played a few summer games in that gym.

Back in the 80s we rented the gym and played all winter. Then summer came it was too dang hot :flame:
My vote goes for McDowell 1971. It was the old gym.
Paul G Blazer High School (Ashland Tomcats) was really bad. The gym floor would sweat when it was really crowded of if they recently had swim practice. Located just outside the gym was their indoor poor so if they used it recently the humidity caused the gym to get really hot and sweaty
Probably 99% don't remember the old gyms like McDowell but when they called it a matchbox that was correct. No windows and no one had enough money to afford a breeze anyway.
Hellier
Wayland
Visiting teams sure thought the old Tiger Den was hot!
Pages: 1 2