Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry/Pikeville 1989 Highlights (RIP 33 Game Win Streak)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

This was so much fun to make. I've heard about the 89 team my whole life. Oliver and Carter, in the three games I've watched, are two of the toughest backs I've seen. It was so much fun seeing a game I've heard about for so long. Hope all the Pirate faithful on here will share this video, I worked hard on it and want everyone who is interested to get a chance to watch.
Very nice! If I could get a DVD copy of that game it'd help my collection haha.

Even in the loss, the Bailey run is one of the most memorable in Panther history.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Very nice! If I could get a DVD copy of that game it'd help my collection haha.

Even in the loss, the Bailey run is one of the most memorable in Panther history.

I'll make you a copy right now.
That run is sweet. That man was good at football.
Awesome, awesome video brother....

Loved watching Dale Oliver run the ball. Curious to see if Devin Varney is making similar runs on video here in a few years.
... and that Bailey run was ridiculous.... STUD!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Awesome, awesome video brother....

Loved watching Dale Oliver run the ball. Curious to see if Devin Varney is making similar runs on video here in a few years.

By any chance did I post a similar comparison on Facebook? Because I kid you not, I both told my mom that that's how I picture Devin's playing style in a few years and texted him and told him to watch as well.
Belfry0304 Wrote:By any chance did I post a similar comparison on Facebook? Because I kid you not, I both told my mom that that's how I picture Devin's playing style in a few years and texted him and told him to watch as well.

You did not. That is awesome though HAHA
I love to watch that old school video like this . Paintsville plays Phelps this year and I was told that is the same stadium they will use ?
TigerBlues Wrote:I love to watch that old school video like this . Paintsville plays Phelps this year and I was told that is the same stadium they will use ?

Correct. Until Phelps gets a new facility they have been playing at Vipperman Stadium. So many memories in that place.
I would like to see that many passes in every game,lol,dudes WIDE open...
Haha since you had to put RIP and change the 33 to 0 I must respond.

a.) Belfry acted like they won a state championship that night. Pikeville did win one a few weeks later.
2.) Love seeing so many KY boys wearing the red. You can tell the video is old.

Confusednicker:Confusedinglepar:flame::igiveup:TongueirateSho :insane::devilflam:worthy:
jetpilot Wrote:Haha since you had to put RIP and change the 33 to 0 I must respond.

a.) Belfry acted like they won a state championship that night. Pikeville did win one a few weeks later.
2.) Love seeing so many KY boys wearing the red. You can tell the video is old.

Confusednicker:Confusedinglepar:flame::igiveup:TongueirateSho :insane::devilflam:worthy:

All the WV boys were in Pikeville maroon back in those days Haha
I noticed one player from belfry was tebowing after a touchdown Lol
EKUAlum05 Wrote:All the WV boys were in Pikeville maroon back in those days Haha

Miss the good ol' days when Belfry would let one or two fall through the cracks...long ago and most people on here would never believe it.:trolldad:
Sorry Jetpilot, I know pikeville used to win state titles... To put it in perspective their last title was 4 years before I was born. I'm a junior in college.

BUT I will be positive and say maybe the day is coming soon for the Panthers.
I went to the Belfry/Highlands game on a frigid Friday night in 1989. Pikeville played Beechwood on Saturday afternoon. Highlands radio guys were so arrogant it wasn't even funny. Belfry outplayed Highlands and should have won. Highlands pulled off a couple of miracle plays to win. Only time in my life I felt bad for Belfry. There were a ton of Pikeville fans at that game.
jetpilot Wrote:I went to the Belfry/Highlands game on a frigid Friday night in 1989. Pikeville played Beechwood on Saturday afternoon. Highlands radio guys were so arrogant it wasn't even funny. Belfry outplayed Highlands and should have won. Highlands pulled off a couple of miracle plays to win. Only time in my life I felt bad for Belfry. There were a ton of Pikeville fans at that game.

Respect. There will be a highlight of that game up soon. I've heard about it my whole life and finally got to see it recently.
I love this post! A game Panther fans remember, as well. This rivalry was really something "back in the day". Miss that.
jetpilot Wrote:I went to the Belfry/Highlands game on a frigid Friday night in 1989. Pikeville played Beechwood on Saturday afternoon. Highlands radio guys were so arrogant it wasn't even funny. Belfry outplayed Highlands and should have won. Highlands pulled off a couple of miracle plays to win. Only time in my life I felt bad for Belfry. There were a ton of Pikeville fans at that game.

I was also sad for Pikeville when they lost at Beechwood in 1999 in a similar game. Panthers controlled that game and Beechwood got lucky on some crazy plays late to win in the Final Minutes. That was one of my favorite Panther teams to watch and they would have easily went on to a State Title over Hancock County. Their lone other loss that year was to Boyle County in the Pike County Bowl... that was the official start to the Chuck Smith dynasty as Boyle went on to go undefeated and claim the 2A Title.
I dont know who 59 was for Belfry but he looks just like a Bolongna Sandwich.
Johnny_Ringo Wrote:I dont know who 59 was for Belfry but he looks just like a Bolongna Sandwich.

I have a feeling you know exactly who #59 was.
59 is a hell of a guy.
I got a feeling you know who 8 is!! He could flat out play football. What did Breathitt Co. do that year? Just curious!
Awesome vid
After watching the vid a couple times I can remember that Belfry wanted the game more. The run at the 5:30 mark shows it and that was kind of demoralizing and I remember at that point realizing the streak was over. I still think it was a big wakeup call and helped Pikeville win their third championship.
jetpilot Wrote:After watching the vid a couple times I can remember that Belfry wanted the game more. The run at the 5:30 mark shows it and that was kind of demoralizing and I remember at that point realizing the streak was over. I still think it was a big wakeup call and helped Pikeville win their third championship.

I remember the post game interview with Coach Howard who said this about the game. "they thought they could just show up and win, But we'll take the loss and learn from it". Belfry wanted it more and it showed, having been defeated by Pikeville the two previous years , they were ready for this win. I agree, this was a big wake up call for the Panthers.
Coachnorm Wrote:I got a feeling you know who 8 is!! He could flat out play football. What did Breathitt Co. do that year? Just curious!

Breathitt Co beat Belfry early in the 89 season and won the District title BUT Belfry beat them out of the playoffs later in the year when it counted.
Grady Moore really played well that game! And my god look how well the Belfry o-line protected on pass plays.

AWESOME AWESOME JOB PT!
PaytoPlay Wrote:Grady Moore really played well that game! And my god look how well the Belfry o-line protected on pass plays.

AWESOME AWESOME JOB PT!

I made this video brother!

Grady was really good, I'm glad I got to watch him perform and get to know him after posting this highlight he added me on Facebook and we've talked some. Seems like a good guy. He really could play.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I made this video brother!

Grady was really good, I'm glad I got to watch him perform and get to know him after posting this highlight he added me on Facebook and we've talked some. Seems like a good guy. He really could play.

I think it was the tight end who came in to catch passes made him look a lot better...lol....j/k....
Pages: 1 2