Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Breaking News--SV v Matewan--Forfeit Reversed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The WVSSAC has ruled this afternoon on the Matewan appeal of the previously forfeited games regarding the use of an ineligible player.
Matewan won the appeal and the forfeits have been overturned.
Matewan is now 5-1.
Shelby Valley drops to 4-3.
WOW ! Can the KHSAA do anything about this ?
blackcat_student Wrote:WOW ! Can the KHSAA do anything about this ?

It's not a KHSAA decision. They will just go by what the WVSSAC says since the team in question is from their state. Not every state has the same laws, so each state will just govern their own team as to whether they were in violation of any rules.
kind of saw this one coming..
That made it right.
This sucks,it shouldn't be alowed
Why shouldn't it be allowed? Shelby Valley got BEAT
Coach Wrote:Why shouldn't it be allowed? Shelby Valley got BEAT

yea but didn't Matewan cheat
NYY10 Wrote:yea but didn't Matewan cheat

I wouldn't exactly call it cheating. They had a player who had transferred to their school and his eligibility was in question. The WVSSAC must have decided that it wasn't a violation of their rules, and thus has awarded them their victory.
I wouldn't consider it cheating eaither. Plus it doesn't hurt Valley in ANY way.
Tomcat68 Wrote:I wouldn't exactly call it cheating. They had a player who had transferred to their school and his eligibility was in question. The WVSSAC must have decided that it wasn't a violation of their rules, and thus has awarded them their victory.

But wasn't the guy 20 or 21 and didnt they had a guy who was held back so many times
I believe that the guy in question just transfered in and they hadn't ruled on his eigability by the day of the game.
Beef Wrote:I wouldn't consider it cheating eaither. Plus it doesn't hurt Valley in ANY way.

What do you mean
About what? It hurting Valley? All it does is change their record. They already know that they really lost the game and playing the game made them a better team. Plus, it is a non district game so no effect of playoffs.
Beef Wrote:About what? It hurting Valley? All it does is change their record. They already know that they really lost the game and playing the game made them a better team. Plus, it is a non district game so no effect of playoffs.

well thats the good then
They boy is 18 or 19. He failed one year when he went to Belfry. He's nowhere near 20 or 21.
this dosnt really matter sv had done lost some games but if they was still without a loss then i could see somthing to it but its no big deal
horn Wrote:this dosnt really matter sv had done lost some games but if they was still without a loss then i could see somthing to it but its no big deal

yea I agree with ya
I am glad!
I think it was the right thing to do, the player was ruled able to play. I just think this reversal should have been done the same time the other ones was. Why wait weeks to change a game when they all should have been changed at the same time?

Pillsburythrowboy, now that it was reversed, can you ask the Valley players if they feel in their heart it was a loss? Earlier you said they felt it was a win because the game was reversed... does that change with a pen stroke like it did for them to get the win?
Matewan lost again lastnight to Gilbert WV so that makes them 2 losses. It is the right thing to do but liek said earlier should have been done when the other game was reversed.
Matewan wins SSAC appeal

Friday, October 13, 2006 4:44 PM CDT

PARKERSBURG - Matewan High School has won their appeal and will regain the two game forfeited recently by the WVSSAC. The call came in Friday afternoon from Mike Hayden, Executive Director of the organization.

Principal Marcella Charles and head coach Yogi Kinder traveled to Parkersburg Thursday afternoon to appeal the school's two forfeits.

“Matewan High School is pleased with this decision,” Charles said. “It is our desire to move forward and to provide our students a productive year both academically and athletically.”

“Everyone at Matewan has fully cooperated with the investigation and now feels that it is time to focus our energy on a successful school year and football season,” Charles added.

The appeal process went before the Board of Directors of the WVSSAC.

This made Matewan's record 5-1 heading into their game with Gilbert Friday night.

The latest SSAC ratings had the Tigers at 3-3, counting the forfeits.

Now the only blemish they have on their record will be the loss to Tug Valley.

The SSAC has also ruled that freshman John Stafford, a transfer from Belfry High School, will now be eligible to play. Stafford had mostly been used on special teams, but had played in the forfeited games.

An earlier appeal gave senior Garrett Epling a 5th year of eligibility.

Matewan High School previously ruled that the Tigers would have to forfeit their first two wins of the season. Those were against Shelby Valley, Ky. and Wierton Madonna.

At that time, Charles sent letters to those schools notifying them of the forfeits. Now she will do the same informing those two schools that the losses will stand.

This will greatly effect not only Matewan's playoff chances, but will give Madonna another loss.

It will also give Tug Valley more bonus points in the computer rating system, and help that school's playoff chances. Matewan had dropped from the top 16 with the forfeits. Tug Valley came in tied for 12th this past week, while Gilbert was 9th.

By KYLE LOVERN
Good for them!!! Looks like to me Williamson High school and Doug Ward stirred up a bunch of lies out of jealousy. If there had been anything to it, they wouldn't have won the appeal.
Hope this if final