Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Simon Kenton 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SK returns alot of good players this year should be a great team.
Besides Powell who is a good running back, who are the other skilled players that will take the field for SK. What do you mean be "great team"? Does that mean they win district, region, state title?
strawberryshakeman Wrote:Besides Powell who is a good running back, who are the other skilled players that will take the field for SK. What do you mean be "great team"? Does that mean they win district, region, state title?

SK returns Powell at running back who has been going to alot of combines already. And has added some weight he is over 180 now. Here is a list of key returning players.

Offense
#10 Racke 6'1 170 QB only a Sophomore
#4 Winkler 6'2 170 WR top returning receiver
#2 Heflin 6'2 170 WR/RB/QB
#87 Vercheak 6'5 260 TE/OL getting alot of D1 looks
#67 Olsmtead 6'4 325 RT getting alot of D1 looks
#77 Sandlin 5'11 270 started last year as a Sophomore
Defense
#90 Marksberry 6'0 250 NT will be his 3rd year starting
#45 Deaton 6'4 225 LB 90 tackles 7 sacks getting alot of D1 looks
#7 Hicks 6'2 210 LB
#24 Carter 5'9 195 LB
#3 Mulberry 5'11 165 FS
#72 Mueller 6'0 245 DL
#78 Powell 5'11 225 DE
I'm sure all of the above-mentioned kids will be good football players, but what's going to make them a great team? I was a big fan of BK, he could do so many things. If Powell is the entire offense, Sk in big trouble.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:I'm sure all of the above-mentioned kids will be good football players, but what's going to make them a great team? I was a big fan of BK, he could do so many things. If Powell is the entire offense, Sk in big trouble.

Winkler and Powell are their top returning players. Racke played quiet a few snaps for Varsity last year he is fast and has a good arm and only a Sophomore. He also has a huge line to protect him.
2014 Schedule
08/22/2014 7:30PM Collins Chlorine Menefee Stadium
08/29/2014 7:00PM at Holy Cross Holmes Stadium, Tom Ellis Field
09/05/2014 7:00PM Conner Chlorine Menefee Stadium Crosstown Showdown
09/12/2014 7:00PM at NewCath Newport Stadium
09/19/2014 7:30PM at Cooper
09/26/2014 7:30PM at Ryle Borland Stadium
10/03/2014 7:00PM Campbell County Chlorine Menefee Stadium
10/10/2014 7:00PM Boone County Chlorine Menefee Stadium
10/17/2014 7:00PM at Dixie Heights Rice Mountjoy Stadium
10/24/2014 7:30PM Bullitt Central Chlorine Menefee Stadium
Soft schedule? Besides Collins the rest of the schedule is not good. The only other tough opponent looks to be Dixie. I think Campbell is going to struggle and Sk should have no problem with the 2a teams. Ryle is transition, Cooper lost a lot of skill last year, and Boone's going to have another tough year. I just don't see a great team when playing this schedule.
They scrimmage ST. X.
This scheduling cycle was formulated after a 2-9 2011 campaign. It will be interesting to see what kind of schedule SK comes up with on the next cycle. There is no reason for not scheduling Cov Cath or one or more of the Louisville public 6A teams.

As for this years team, the QB position is going to be determined by competition between Cameron Racke , a sophomore, and Kyle Heflin, a senior. Racke has most of the skill set, but needs to improve decision making when the play breaks down. He is effective reading from the pocket though. Heflin does not run as much , but has a stronger arm.

Dillon Powell will return , as will Logan Winkler. Some of the receiver positions will be open to competition as well.

The defensive line is set with Blake Powell, Quentin Marksberry and Tucker Mueller. The offensive line returns Sandlin and Olmstead. Grant Verchek may be moved to tackle from TE, which is a shame because his pass receiving skill is exceptional. The rest of the OL will likely be Musick and Rump. I would really like to see another OL step up to play tackle so Verchek could stay at TE.
UK1fan Wrote:SK returns alot of good players this year should be a great team.

I get the schedule cycle. I just wish either uk1fan or another SK contributor can explain what great team means! :please:
UK1fan Wrote:They scrimmage ST. X.
A St X team that is 15-10 the past 2 years and is expected to be down in '14. SK will be good, but overall team speed keeps them from being a top 5 6A team.
UK1fan Wrote:They scrimmage ST. X.
Whoo Hoooo!!!
Sounds like Olmstead did real good in a camp last weekend.

Scott Kennedy @ScoutKennedy · 26m
The Top OL at the #NFTC in Ohio (HD VID) Scout.com - College and High School Football, Basketball, Recruiting, NFL, and MLB Front Page @_MXKEY @drakerjackson @SBSimpson56 @ChristianOlmste
Cameron Racke will be the starting QB. Racke has been groomed for the position for several years and led JV to an uindefeated season. While no one expects Racke to pick up where BK left off, he is light years ahead of BK at the same age.

Kyle Heflin will get reps at RB and slot receiver. Cole Murray will be the TE and he will be a receiving TE. Verchek is being moved to RT, Olmstead will be at LT. Sandlin, Musick and Rump will round out OL, which will again be huge.

The DL will be better than last year with Marksberry (no relation to coach), Blake Powell and Tucker Mueller. Linebackers include Deaton, Hicks and Carter.

This team may drop off some offensively from last year, but I expect defense to be better/