Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Anthony Hickey, 2 others not returning to LSU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Johnny Jones is cleaning house down in Baton Rouge. This morning, the LSU coach announced that guard Anthony Hickey, forward Shane Hammink, and guard Malik Morgan will not return to the team next season, and will transfer.

You should remember Hickey because he’s a Hopkinsville native, a former Kentucky Mr. Basketball, and in the past three years at LSU, has always played well against the Cats. He started 85 games for the Tigers. This season, he put up 34 points against Kentucky in three games, including a 20-point, 5 rebound, 8 assist performance in UK’s overtime win in Lexington.

Hmmm…with no Hickey and no Johnny O’Bryant, that series just got a whole lot easier. Any chance Cal picks up Hickey? Where there’s smoke, there’s gotta be fire, right?

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketbal...xt-season/
Saw where some guy said the greatest accomplishment by any university, or coach, one of the two, was keeping him eligible for 3 years. Ouch.....
Has he graduated?

If so, he could play right away as you know.
If not, hes going to have to sit a year.

Either way, I say if UK doesn't get the kid from WV, they might want to think about it.
Various reports that there were some off-court issues with Hickey.
UK does not need his off court antics.. From all I'm hearing,, he's Marshall Henderson without the publicity. Too many grad students out there that has immediate playing time available. If Cal thinks we need one.

Purdue,, Michigan,, and Michigan St made the final list of the WV player,, reported about an hour ago.
If he's Marshall Henderson without the publicity...

then every team needs to go after him.
I see what you did there.

Guess I should have defined that more. He's Marshall Henderson without the ability to make 10 3s ina row or miss 10 3s ina row. I'm referring to Marshall being a media darling,, not a player.
:trolldad2:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Has he graduated?

If so, he could play right away as you know.
If not, hes going to have to sit a year.

Either way, I say if UK doesn't get the kid from WV, they might want to think about it.

LSU grants releases to 3 players

BATON ROUGE, La. -- LSU guards Anthony Hickey and Malik Morgan, along with forward Shane Hammink, have decided against returning to the Tigers next season, coach Johnny Jones announced on Tuesday.

LSU spokesman Kent Lowe said they've been granted full releases, meaning they may transfer to the schools of their choice and in certain cases play as early as next season.

Hickey, who will be a senior next season, has played in 96 games over three years, starting 85, with averages of 9.4 points and 3.3 rebounds.

Hickey, a former Mr. Basketball as a high school player in Kentucky, was recruited to LSU by former coach Trent Johnson. The 5-11 points guard has scored 905 points in his career, with six games in which he'd scored 20 or more. He had 360 career assists to just 159 turnovers and led the Southeastern Conference this past season with a 2.8 assist-to-turnover ratio.

However, Hickey was also suspended for part of his sophomore season for unspecified violations of athletic department and university policies, and Jones said after this past season that he was unsure if the team could count on Hickey to assume a leadership role next season.

Hickey's father, Anthony Hickey Sr., told The Advocate of Baton Rouge on Tuesday that his son was informed last week his scholarship would not be renewed for the next academic year.

With Hickey's departure, the starting point-guard job is expected to open up to several promising new players.

One is Josh Gray, a transfer from Odessa College in Texas, who averaged 33.8 points per game this season. Other candidates to fill that role include UNC-Asheville transfer Keith Hornsby and freshman Jayln Patterson.
Loved watching Hickey play in the state tournament
Hickey will go to Oklahoma State next year

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...lsu-tigers