Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Your team's longest road game.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's a SLOW DAY.....

Johnson Central's All-Time longest road trip in history was in the 2002 season. We went to Ft. Walton Beach, FL. and played Chocawatchee, FL.

Longest ride on a charter bus in my life. We got beat.... bad and the toilet sanitizer stopped working around the Tennessee line. So it was a fun trip all the way around.
That's a good question.
Ill have to really think about that one.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:It's a SLOW DAY.....

Johnson Central's All-Time longest road trip in history was in the 2002 season. We went to Ft. Walton Beach, FL. and played Chocawatchee, FL.

Longest ride on a charter bus in my life. We got beat.... bad and the toilet sanitizer stopped working around the Tennessee line. So it was a fun trip all the way around.

Interesting.I never knew about this game.

The KHSAA scoreboard only shows 9 games and this not being one of them.

Belfry's trip to Christian Academy of Knoxville was a long one last year... but one would have to assume their longest trip would be the State Finals at WKU. For a regular season game Belfry played at Ryle in the 99 season.Back then US 119 was not the same as it is now so it was close to a 5 hour bus trip. Belfry got crushed that game.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Interesting.I never knew about this game.

The KHSAA scoreboard only shows 9 games and this not being one of them.

Belfry's trip to Christian Academy of Knoxville was a long one last year... but one would have to assume their longest trip would be the State Finals at WKU. For a regular season game Belfry played at Ryle in the 99 season.Back then US 119 was not the same as it is now so it was close to a 5 hour bus trip. Belfry got crushed that game.

Trust me... it was the week after the Apple Bowl... the only reason we got to go was because JC was on fall break that week.
It was the first season for Bill Tom Ross at JC.

We thought their locker room was their high school. Several of our starters didn't make the trip.... made some memories, but it was miserable.

If memory serves me right, we left out early Wednesday morning. Made it to the hotel around 5pm-6pm. Had some beach time and practiced on Thursday. Hit the beach and played Friday night. Headed back home Saturday. We went 2-8 that season.
In the late 80's I know Bell Co. traveled to Calloway Co. for a Saturday game. They swear it is in Ky but I think it is atleast has to be in Missouri????? Haha

This year the longest trip will be to South Pitt Tn. to start the new season. It is right on the river near Alabama. I am guessing around 4.5 hrs?
TopCat Wrote:In the late 80's I know Bell Co. traveled to Calloway Co. for a Saturday game. They swear it is in Ky but I think it is atleast has to be in Missouri????? Haha

This year the longest trip will be to South Pitt Tn. to start the new season. It is right on the river near Alabama. I am guessing around 4.5 hrs?

South Pittsburg is a haul... when you are travelling from Chattanooga to Nashville it is right after the stretch where you bounce back between TN and Alabama and right after Nickajack Lake. Good news is it will mainly be interstate for Bell so probably a 4 hour trip.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:South Pittsburg is a haul... when you are travelling from Chattanooga to Nashville it is right after the stretch where you bounce back between TN and Alabama and right after Nickajack Lake. Good news is it will mainly be interstate for Bell so probably a 4 hour trip.

Traveling down 25E from Corbin to Mboro feels like a longer road trip than traveling from Corbin to Chattanooga down I-75
Frankfort will be heading down 75 to play FBA in Naples Florida this season.
I remember Somerset had a home-and-home with Providence, Indiana back in the late 70s, and WAY back in the day the Jumpers would take the train to play Chattanooga HS (pre-1920s).
The game I am about to mention was a home game for Mayfield but it likely ranks as the all time longest road game in state history and certainly is the longest playoff game in state history.

In 1991 The KHSAA experimented with having a blind draw when the four semifinalists were decided. Lawrence County and Mayfield were drawn and Lawrence County was the lucky winner of a over 8 hour road trip on Thanksgiving to Mayfield. That game ended that experiment.

It was called the Lawrence County rule for years.

Mayfield won 21-18
From West Virginia to Missiouri....

That's a long drive
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:The game I am about to mention was a home game for Mayfield but it likely ranks as the all time longest road game in state history and certainly is the longest playoff game in state history.

In 1991 The KHSAA experimented with having a blind draw when the four semifinalists were decided. Lawrence County and Mayfield were drawn and Lawrence County was the lucky winner of a over 8 hour road trip on Thanksgiving to Mayfield. That game ended that experiment.

Mayfield won 21-18

Wow...never knew this.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:The game I am about to mention was a home game for Mayfield but it likely ranks as the all time longest road game in state history and certainly is the longest playoff game in state history.

Mayfield won 21-18

Wow. According to google maps, Lawrence county traveled 405 miles, one way, for that game.
Every year either Beechwood or Mayfield has to make a 5 hour trip to play in the semi finals at the other's field. That is except for this year when Frankfort only had to travel about 4 hours.
I know Greenup Co. isn't that far from Johnson County.... heck, it's a straight shot up U.S. 23......

But it feels like your going to the end of the world.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I know Greenup Co. isn't that far from Johnson County.... heck, it's a straight shot up U.S. 23......

But it feels like your going to the end of the world.

You know, I was getting ready to say some trips just feel longer... going to Somerset is that for me. It feels like a far longer trip than Knoxville or Bowling Green (in which you go through Somerset to get there?) but it seems like I'm going to the moon when we go down there.
Belfry0304 Wrote:You know, I was getting ready to say some trips just feel longer... going to Somerset is that for me. It feels like a far longer trip than Knoxville or Bowling Green (in which you go through Somerset to get there?) but it seems like I'm going to the moon when we go down there.

That is how the Belfry trip used to feel before Rt. 119 was finished. It took forever to get there and everyone was sick by the time the bus arrived.

Were they the Indians?
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:Were they the Indians?

Yes.... Green was one of their colors.

This was one of the best and worst experiences of my football career. They had more band members then football players. Lol. And they had 100+ Players. But it was a good time and we went to the beach.