Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 57th district tourny
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The district tourny should not be held at paintsville due to the fact that their gym is so small. There is no way that all the fans will be able to fit in that tiny gym. There isn't even enough room in there when paintsville plays central. I don't really know what kind of alternative could be used but something like having it at johnson central and giving all the money and such made from it to paintsville. Something needs to be done about this.
I totally disagree......every school should be able to host a district tournament no matter the size. The system works, why change it, plus what's the difference in having a host with a small gym or a host with bad parking.

I do like the new home of the 15th regional tournament. A neutral floor, new, bright facility........keep it there forever.
Meade Wrote:The district tourny should not be held at paintsville due to the fact that their gym is so small. There is no way that all the fans will be able to fit in that tiny gym. There isn't even enough room in there when paintsville plays central. I don't really know what kind of alternative could be used but something like having it at johnson central and giving all the money and such made from it to paintsville. Something needs to be done about this.
Paintsville has a regulation floor with ten foot goals at both ends, they even have electricity and running water!!! It might be hard to believe, but there are some that would rather watch hasbeens play at the rec center than to go to Johnson Central and watch anything.
Home court advantage means a great deal!
I'm not talking about the floor I'm talking about seats there just arent enough of them. There isnt a differnece in hosting a tourny in a small gym or a place with bad parking. I just feel as if a neutral court should be set up just like the regional tourny. I do agree that home court advantage means a great deal. But paintsville just doesnt have enough seats
No, that's not what you said. You didn't mention a neutral court, you said they should move it to Johnson Central. How would that be neutral?

Paintsville can host approximately 1350 people (Fire Marshall's number) if they have a split session, that means 2700 people can watch two games. I don't see a problem with that number, plus they now have new seats, the capacity number might actually be higher.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, it is the smallest gym in the district, but why does that make it a bad place for a tournament. Rose Hill host a district tournament with Boyd County and Ashland playing in it. Johnson Central may be the size of either of those two schools, but Sheldon Clark, Lawrence and Magoffin County aren't. Plus, PHS has tried to get funding to increase the size of their gym and add on to there school, but there doesn't seem to be any help from their "friends" in Frankfort, so we make do, and so will the others four schools in the 57th district once every five years.
First of all, I think the games are for the players, not the fans. If you are a true fan, you wouldnt mind getting there early for a seat. As far as Paintsville needing friends in Frankfort for a new gym, isnt Paintsville a independent school? The city should be doing the funding for their gym and not the state school system.
Paintsville high school should never host a district tournament...it is absolutely too small...there is NO parking, and nowhere to sit once you get there. its too old and too small to be hosting any kind of tourny... Its rediculous
It worked fine back in 2003 so I'm sure it'll be alright this year.
The Guru Wrote:Paintsville has a regulation floor with ten foot goals at both ends, they even have electricity and running water!!!
Quote:It might be hard to believe, but there are some that would rather watch hasbeens play at the rec center than to go to Johnson Central and watch anything.

Home court advantage means a great deal!
Gasp!!!!!Smile
corndog23 Wrote:Paintsville high school should never host a district tournament...it is absolutely too small...there is NO parking, and nowhere to sit once you get there. its too old and too small to be hosting any kind of tourny... Its rediculous

No difference in parking a block away than parking at the baseball field at JC, or over the hill at MC or parking on the side of the road at SC. Still a good walk. At least where ever you park you don't have to walk all the way around the building just to get inside. Paintsville has entrances on both sides of the gym. JC makes you park at the back door and walk to the front. I never understood that. Just lock the wing doors and set up an admissions table down near the rest rooms. Would be easier seems like.
I think the Tigers should have the same opportunity as the other 4 schools. But I agree that it would be nice (for the fans) if they had a larger gym. But you take what you have.

As for the Regional, you can't get any better than the Expo Center. NEUTRAL and BIG! That is about the best you can get.
PHSCARD Wrote:It worked fine back in 2003 so I'm sure it'll be alright this year.
Actually it didnt work fine, it sucked. Why do you think this thread was even made??
corndog you can say "suck" its a no no ...you are saying negative things which isnt aloud on this site according to sum ppl
Actually it did work fine........I realize you have anti-Paintsville views and for a moderator, that's kind of ridiculous, but I would put up our old facility as far as the way it's maintained against any of the other schools in the district. It's kept clean, the floor is in excellent shape, the locker rooms may be old, but they're clean also.

It didn't suck......and it won't ever suck the next time around. Maybe before you get on here and tell people the facilities at their school sucks, you should do a little moderating of your own facilities, then talk about sucking.
corndog23 Wrote:Actually it didnt work fine, it sucked. Why do you think this thread was even made??

Well I hate going every 4 years to watch it at SC but I still do it. What does it matter anyways back in 2003, you only had to go there one game to watch SC get beat by Paintsville in the first round. I know that place wasn't a sell-out for that game so it shouldn't have been that hard to find a seat. One game a night is not a bad plan for that small gym, it keeps crowds down as much as possible instead of having 2 games there with many of the fans from the game before staying over to watch the next game, plus in reality it gives PHS more money at the gate. More nights, more people than usual, and the same games, I don't really see what the problem here is. You can't expect every team to have a blockbuster size gym, especialy Paintsville being the 7 or 8 smallest school in the state. Every school gets a chance to host it, so this year shouldn't be any different.
Youngerthandirt Wrote:Actually it did work fine........I realize you have anti-Paintsville views and for a moderator, that's kind of ridiculous, but I would put up our old facility as far as the way it's maintained against any of the other schools in the district. It's kept clean, the floor is in excellent shape, the locker rooms may be old, but they're clean also.

It didn't suck......and it won't ever suck the next time around. Maybe before you get on here and tell people the facilities at their school sucks, you should do a little moderating of your own facilities, then talk about sucking.

It has nothing to do with my"anti-paintsville" views. I love watching the baseball tournament there, but the daggone basketball gym ist too small!!! SC's gym is one of the bigger gymnasiums in the region.

As for the dude who says to play one game a night, how bad does that suck to have to pau 20 bucks to watch a district tourny instead of 10?? And i watched every game in the tourny when paintsville beat us, and it wasnt 03 by the way, it was 05, so i guess you dont really know what youre talking about anyway. I went to Magoffin County both times in 04 when we beat paintsville and won the torunament. I would much ratehr drive there and watch a game with a gymnasium big enough to watch a basketball game then drive to paintsville and set on a concrete slab between 38 people in one row.......
Everyone wants the new building and all the ammenities that go along with it....What happen to tradition??? C'mon CornDog!! Duke plays in a crackerbox and it's the best atmosphere in college basketball!! They could build a monster gym but choose to stay with the old one!! I like the old Paintsville gym!!!
Paintsville has a full size court, seats for reserve players, a scoreboard, dressing rooms, therefore they have all they need for a ball game. The game is played on the court, not in the stands or parking lot. The good part about it is, if you dont like the location, gym size, parking places, or what the seats are made out of, you dont have to go. Trust me, the games will go on even if there arent anyone in the bleachers watching.
corndog23 Wrote:As for the dude who says to play one game a night, how bad does that suck to have to pau 20 bucks to watch a district tourny instead of 10?? And i watched every game in the tourny when paintsville beat us, and it wasnt 03 by the way, it was 05, so i guess you dont really know what youre talking about anyway.

Well if you are going to complain about the money then don't go. And yes it was in 2003, it was my senior year of high school at Paintsville, we won the district and got to hold a first round region game against Phelps. So I guess you don't know what you are talking about. Nice try though:Clap:
Here is the way the District Tourney has looked since the last time Paintsville hosted it.

2003-Paintsville
2004-Magoffin Co.
2005-SHELDON CLARK(McCarty hits a last second shot to defeat Paintsville)
2006-Johnson Central
2007-Paintsville

Surely you'd remember the last time SC hosted the tourney, it was a dandy in the championship. JC defeated Magoffin and Paintsville barely escaped SC in the first round games.
Actually guy P-Ville has two ten foot goals at each side of the court..Haha

but as a fan i am not much on going to P-ville to watch a game but as a player it was my favorite place to play. The game is not about the fans it about the players. so P-ville should be allowed to host the district tourny.
[QUOTE=Hard Hitter]Actually guy P-Ville has two ten foot goals at each side of the court..Haha [QUOTE]

Back when we were freshmen we used to jump off the walls in gym class and go up and dunk on those side goals. I'll never forget Billy coming out and yelling at us, "Goof off city!"Smile
well im not from paintsville but I know all about home court advantage, and I have been to Paintsvilles gym more than I can count and yes I do agree that it is small and there could be a crowd issue with that come tourney time but who ever dosent want the game at paintsville it should be at a neutral court of course none in the 57th district and the next year for districts should be the same way because of home court advantage It just wouldnt be fair to Paintsville. and whoever else still dosent want to go to Paintsville to watch the tourney, I guess your not really a ttrue fan but I could almosgt gaurntee it will be on tv. But as for me it can be held outside in 100 degree flordia wether and I would still be there to see and support my friends through out the tourney, because of the love I have for them and the game.