Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lawrence County 3 Johnson Central 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lawrence county loses 3 to 2 at johnson central in 8 innings in game that can only be described as an embarrassement for high school baseball umpairs. The khsaa really needs to take a look at this ump behind plate. He is an insult to the game of baseball and his fellow umpires. Congrats to johnson central they played hard all night.
Who was the umpire? Describe the play
Not one play. Not one game. We had this same umpire last week. The differences in the ball and strikes called is just amazing. Last night he just handed jc a district.
dawg fan Wrote:Not one play. Not one game. We had this same umpire last week. The differences in the ball and strikes called is just amazing. Last night he just handed jc a district.

he was bad. but from my vantage point i felt he was bad for both sides at times. granted that his time to be bad for lawrence happened to be late in the game while he was bad on jc early in the game. that wasn't what lost the game though. and jc hasn't been given anything yet. if lawrence comes out and wins today they can still be the #1 seed. if not, no big deal. what costed lawrence is the fact that they had only 4 hits and one of those was an infield hit. two others were by one player. all 4 hits were by sophomores and the juniors and seniors were hitless. in big games that can't happen. experience has to come through. hopefully they swing it a little better tonight.
We won, and I'll agree with you that he's really bad....I cringe every time I see him behind the plate at a game. But what I detest the most about him is that dang attitude he brings with him.... He should be banned from high school baseball.
The khsaa.org scoreboard has LC winning..... 3-2
JC did win Pulp......Two great pitching performances by both starters last night, and neither one figured in the decision!!!.In a way that's OK because neither one of them deserved to be tagged with a loss...At the same time both pitched well enough to get credited with a win...Won and loss records for pitchers are the most misleading stat in baseball.
D IT UP Wrote:Who was the umpire? Describe the play

One with the blond hair, the big nose, the GIANT attitude, and a bona fide 100% jerk.....Now you know who I'm talking about???.....lol
dawg fan Wrote:Lawrence county loses 3 to 2 at johnson central in 8 innings in game that can only be described as an embarrassement for high school baseball umpairs. The khsaa really needs to take a look at this ump behind plate. He is an insult to the game of baseball and his fellow umpires. Congrats to johnson central they played hard all night.

The umpire was average for high school as said below he miss ball and strikes on both sides. The reason Lawrence County lost was simple if you can not catch the ball you lose. What you expect the umpire to catch the ball for you. Grow up JC played the better game last night. A team that had 4 hits and 5 error in 8 inning does not deserve to win.

On the positive side both starting pitchers threw very well. Great job to both of them.
Eagle84 Wrote:The umpire was average for high school as said below he miss ball and strikes on both sides. The reason Lawrence County lost was simple if you can not catch the ball you lose. What you expect the umpire to catch the ball for you. Grow up JC played the better game last night. A team that had 4 hits and 5 error in 8 inning does not deserve to win.

On the positive side both starting pitchers threw very well. Great job to both of them.

ive said this before, LC has never ever lost a game bc they didnt play well enough. its always someone else fault why they lost. smh
Bob Seger Wrote:JC did win Pulp......Two great pitching performances by both starters last night, and neither one figured in the decision!!!.In a way that's OK because neither one of them deserved to be tagged with a loss...At the same time both pitched well enough to get credited with a win...Won and loss records for pitchers are the most misleading stat in baseball.

Love the "quality start" line for MLB
Cardsrule when sheldon clark fields a varsity team then you can way in until then you should stay on the middle school site.
Bob Seger Wrote:........

With all that being said going in to the bottom of the 7th lc was up 2 to 1 with 2 outs and a man on 1st. The strike zone for lc became nonexistent and the tieing run walked in. So weather or not they made 5 errors or only had 4 hits is beside the point.
I am with Cards rule, wind even costs them one game.
dawg fan Wrote:With all that being said going in to the bottom of the 7th lc was up 2 to 1 with 2 outs and a man on 1st. The strike zone for lc became nonexistent and the tieing run walked in. So weather or not they made 5 errors or only had 4 hits is beside the point.

SO the two you got in the top of the 7th had nothing to do with a tight strike zone. You had not put a bat on the ball hard all game and then get two in the top of the 7th. The point being of the 5 errors and 4 hits was if you play poorly you lose. I guess you will come up with another excess for tonight's loss.
Commanche Wrote:I am with Cards rule, wind even costs them one game.

i understand pikeville is having a difficult time this year, but no need to attack lawrence for it. i was the one that said a 3-run homer that was the game winning runs was wind aided. that's not an excuse. when a guy hits a pop up that would be caught by the RF or CF and the 25 mph winds takes it a few feet over the wall, i think that is cause to say the wind helped.

no excuses for losing to jc. they gift wrapped the game thursday night for us and we gave it back to them. disappointing loss that night. and then last night another crappy performance defensively. i don't know what is going on but the defense is pretty pathetic of late. all that still doesn't change the fact that the umpire thursday night behind the plate was horrible. he squeezed both sides, but did squeeze lawrence in the 7th. that is a fact.
lchsalumnus Wrote:i understand pikeville is having a difficult time this year, but no need to attack lawrence for it. i was the one that said a 3-run homer that was the game winning runs was wind aided. that's not an excuse. when a guy hits a pop up that would be caught by the RF or CF and the 25 mph winds takes it a few feet over the wall, i think that is cause to say the wind helped.

no excuses for losing to jc. they gift wrapped the game thursday night for us and we gave it back to them. disappointing loss that night. and then last night another crappy performance defensively. i don't know what is going on but the defense is pretty pathetic of late. all that still doesn't change the fact that the umpire thursday night behind the plate was horrible. he squeezed both sides, but did squeeze lawrence in the 7th. that is a fact.

Have only seen Pikeville play once this year, nothing to do with Pikeville. Just LC never lost a game without an excuse. Nobody wins them all so give the other team some credit. Also the wind is an Original that you should Trademark.
Congrats to jc they just flat out out played us last night. Hopefully lc will get their defense figured out by district and be a little more competitive.
What happened to this Lawrence team that was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread? JC has slung you all around the field twice now. What happened?

oh wait, it was the refs! Confusednicker:
WideRight05 Wrote:What happened to this Lawrence team that was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread? JC has slung you all around the field twice now. What happened?

wow, poking shots at high school kids. you are a big man i bet. and i wouldn't call these two games as lc being "slung around the field". the first game lc blew a 2-1 lead in bottom of 7th. the second game lc committed 5 or 6 errors allowing 4 or 5 of jc's 6 runs to scoring. lc lost 6-4. jc has a really good team. they can't hit very well but have a solid defense and can pitch. the starter game 2 wasn't as good as the kid that threw game 1. lc hit him pretty well. couldn't do much against the game 1 starter. should be fun. hope jc has forgotten last year's district meltdown against sheldon clark because it appears there will be a rematch again between the two. paintsville and lc will be a dandy in a couple of weeks. i would assume lc will throw the wallen kid and pville the rice kid.
Just so that you know, this official has 22 years of experience. He has umpired the championship game of the Ky state tournament 4 times in the past 12 yrs, and 3 of the 4 times he was the home plate umpire. He hasn't umpired a lot of high school baseball in the past 4 yrs but the reason why is bc he is also a D1 college umpire. This man was 1 of the umpires in the semi finals of the college World Series last year. So he is far above an "average" high school umpire. Now I will defend most of you that are upset with his officiating to a point. He has an extremely tight strike zone for "high school" baseball. And that's not good BUT the coaches know well in advance who the umps are gonna be and know how he is so it's not like they don't know what to expect. Ross is a very good official and that's why he was assigned a game of this caliper. Most fans go nuts bc MOST fans think that they can officiate better than the officials and know the rules better but I would be willing to put a substantial amount of money on the fact that IF someone was to pass out the same test the these umpires take at any high school game around this area and tell them to turn it in by the end of the game there would be less than 5% of the people that would score a 70% on this test. I will agree there are questionable calls in every game but these umpire are human and I don't believe that there is a single official around that sets out to INTENTIONALLY influence the outcome of any game. High school umpires don't have the access of instant replay and do the very best they can do with their training and ability to try and get EVERY call right. It doesn't happen all the time but it's not intentional. I don't understand why fans #1 and SOME coaches #2 go to the extreme that they do to try to criticize an official. It NEVER helps and most of the time it HURTS the team bc the umps remember the way the are treated and when it's a call that could go either way, the go the opposite way bc of the criticism. Now I do understand that a coach has to argue and stand up for his team and that's not what I'm referring to at all. I'm talking about when a coach starts in the first inning of a scoreless game complaining about balls and strikes. It's it just common sense that when an umpire hears that, he is gonna now be on the defensive and get tighter with his strike zone? The answer is yes and the reason is bc if he opens up and starts giving the pitches that the 1 coach is complaining about the opposing coach is gonna get on the official and say " you can't change your zone bc of him" or " don't let such and such get to you". So a coach that does that is only hurting his team not helping them. Long story short is uneducated FANS and SOME COACHES a lot of times make things worse on their teams by umpire criticism instead of realizing these umpires are doing the very best they can do and would be more inclined to give the close calls to the teams that have good attitudes and the coaches that treat them with respect.
Completely Neutral Wrote:Just so that you know, this official has 22 years of experience. He has umpired the championship game of the Ky state tournament 4 times in the past 12 yrs, and 3 of the 4 times he was the home plate umpire. He hasn't umpired a lot of high school baseball in the past 4 yrs but the reason why is bc he is also a D1 college umpire. This man was 1 of the umpires in the semi finals of the college World Series last year. So he is far above an "average" high school umpire. Now I will defend most of you that are upset with his officiating to a point. He has an extremely tight strike zone for "high school" baseball. And that's not good BUT the coaches know well in advance who the umps are gonna be and know how he is so it's not like they don't know what to expect. Ross is a very good official and that's why he was assigned a game of this caliper. Most fans go nuts bc MOST fans think that they can officiate better than the officials and know the rules better but I would be willing to put a substantial amount of money on the fact that IF someone was to pass out the same test the these umpires take at any high school game around this area and tell them to turn it in by the end of the game there would be less than 5% of the people that would score a 70% on this test. I will agree there are questionable calls in every game but these umpire are human and I don't believe that there is a single official around that sets out to INTENTIONALLY influence the outcome of any game. High school umpires don't have the access of instant replay and do the very best they can do with their training and ability to try and get EVERY call right. It doesn't happen all the time but it's not intentional. I don't understand why fans #1 and SOME coaches #2 go to the extreme that they do to try to criticize an official. It NEVER helps and most of the time it HURTS the team bc the umps remember the way the are treated and when it's a call that could go either way, the go the opposite way bc of the criticism. Now I do understand that a coach has to argue and stand up for his team and that's not what I'm referring to at all. I'm talking about when a coach starts in the first inning of a scoreless game complaining about balls and strikes. It's it just common sense that when an umpire hears that, he is gonna now be on the defensive and get tighter with his strike zone? The answer is yes and the reason is bc if he opens up and starts giving the pitches that the 1 coach is complaining about the opposing coach is gonna get on the official and say " you can't change your zone bc of him" or " don't let such and such get to you". So a coach that does that is only hurting his team not helping them. Long story short is uneducated FANS and SOME COACHES a lot of times make things worse on their teams by umpire criticism instead of realizing these umpires are doing the very best they can do and would be more inclined to give the close calls to the teams that have good attitudes and the coaches that treat them with respect.

Hmmm, now isn't that quite an ironic word to throw in there..:eyeroll:
WideRight05 Wrote:What happened to this Lawrence team that was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread? JC has slung you all around the field twice now. What happened?

They got Refs in Baseball now I thought they were called Umpires. :eyeroll::hilarious:
A good umpire calls the game fair, has the same strike zone for each team regardless of feelings for a coach, team or their fans. It is just as important for the umpire to have good attitude and treat the players and coaches with same respect. If their personal feelings for a coach, players, or fans effect' s their ability to be fair they should decline the game
After reading Ross’s resume they can be on question of his skill level. He has a very impressive resume maybe the best in the state for any umpire and for sure of any in the 15th Region. This puts a nail in the coffin of Lawrence County getting cheated.
I personally do feel his is too tight on his strike zone but that why his is the official. Teams (pitcher and hitters) must adjust to the strike zone of lose. To get on here and blame other for your team’s unwillingness or inability to adjust is wrong.
It seems to me Lawrence County fans seem to have a reputation of making excuses for losing instead of accepting responsibility. It is my belief as long as excuses are made for losing instead of seeing the mistakes one can’t get better. I hope JC Baseball Team learned this lesson last year in the SC Game. If not we could be in for a long night in the near future. However, I am sick and tired of fan’s belittling other team’s effort by making excuses for their losing.
I want to make sure everyone understands I am not putting down Lawrence Country Baseball Program in any way. Coach Feltner had done a prodigious job at Lawrence County. (I used the synonyms on the computer for great) Year in and year out they are one of the teams to beat in the 57th District and 15th Region.
There must be a consistent strike zone in order for pitchers and hitters to adjust to. And at no time in this thread did I say anything negative about jc in fact I congratulated them on the first win and stated they just out played us the second game. Instead of reading the post and understanding them you seem to jump to conclusions. The problem with this umpire and lc as I stated is just not one play or one game it is ongoing over the past several seasons. And as far as his resume goes all that means is he has been doing this for a long time. Lc lost to paintsville not one word was said about the umpires, lc lost to jc the second game not one word said about the umppires. So it is just not true that lc complains about the umpires everytime they lose . Lc has lost 8 or 9 games this year and had poor umpiring 2 times and it was the same umpire both times.
Completely Neutral Wrote:Just so that you know, this official has 22 years of experience. He has umpired the championship game of the Ky state tournament 4 times in the past 12 yrs, and 3 of the 4 times he was the home plate umpire. He hasn't umpired a lot of high school baseball in the past 4 yrs but the reason why is bc he is also a D1 college umpire. This man was 1 of the umpires in the semi finals of the college World Series last year. So he is far above an "average" high school umpire. Now I will defend most of you that are upset with his officiating to a point. He has an extremely tight strike zone for "high school" baseball. And that's not good BUT the coaches know well in advance who the umps are gonna be and know how he is so it's not like they don't know what to expect. Ross is a very good official and that's why he was assigned a game of this caliper. Most fans go nuts bc MOST fans think that they can officiate better than the officials and know the rules better but I would be willing to put a substantial amount of money on the fact that IF someone was to pass out the same test the these umpires take at any high school game around this area and tell them to turn it in by the end of the game there would be less than 5% of the people that would score a 70% on this test. I will agree there are questionable calls in every game but these umpire are human and I don't believe that there is a single official around that sets out to INTENTIONALLY influence the outcome of any game. High school umpires don't have the access of instant replay and do the very best they can do with their training and ability to try and get EVERY call right. It doesn't happen all the time but it's not intentional. I don't understand why fans #1 and SOME coaches #2 go to the extreme that they do to try to criticize an official. It NEVER helps and most of the time it HURTS the team bc the umps remember the way the are treated and when it's a call that could go either way, the go the opposite way bc of the criticism. Now I do understand that a coach has to argue and stand up for his team and that's not what I'm referring to at all. I'm talking about when a coach starts in the first inning of a scoreless game complaining about balls and strikes. It's it just common sense that when an umpire hears that, he is gonna now be on the defensive and get tighter with his strike zone? The answer is yes and the reason is bc if he opens up and starts giving the pitches that the 1 coach is complaining about the opposing coach is gonna get on the official and say " you can't change your zone bc of him" or " don't let such and such get to you". So a coach that does that is only hurting his team not helping them. Long story short is uneducated FANS and SOME COACHES a lot of times make things worse on their teams by umpire criticism instead of realizing these umpires are doing the very best they can do and would be more inclined to give the close calls to the teams that have good attitudes and the coaches that treat them with respect.

Okay so are they neutral or not! You kindof contradicted yourself if I read this right. I will say from my previous years of experience that Ross's strike zone is rediculous and inconsistent. Not one game but having had children play over an 11 year span in the 15th region. I will also say that the quality of umpiring mirrors the quality of coaching and that in my opinion is poor overall. There are some exceptions but for the most part coaching isnt very good, it is whoever is available and is willing to coach. Schools need to look outside the building if they want to get knowledgeable coaches.

At what level? I have in front of me the 2013 NCAA Post season umpire assignments and do not find his name. Also I have a list of the umpire assignments from the 2013 College World Series and he is nowhere on the assignment sheet. Completely Neutral, I think not. I am calling BS unless you can prove otherwise.:lame: