Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New rule
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
KHSAA has made new rule that if you are held back in middle school, you can not play sports the year you are held back. They said the focus should be on academics if you are held back and not sports. I think it is a great rule, but know there are parts of the state where this is common to do and will try to come up with all kinds of reasons why it is bad. I give a pat on the back to the board for adopting this new rule. Let's hear everyone's thoughts.
sstack Wrote:KHSAA has made new rule that if you are held back in middle school, you can not play sports the year you are held back. They said the focus should be on academics if you are held back and not sports. I think it is a great rule, but know there are parts of the state where this is common to do and will try to come up with all kinds of reasons why it is bad. I give a pat on the back to the board for adopting this new rule. Let's hear everyone's thoughts.

I would like this rule better if it stated that you cannot participate in actual games. The kids should still be able to practice and participate in team activities. If there is a legitimate reason to hold a student back academically then why punish the student athlete by not allowing them to participate in sports with their classmates?
Really don't change nothing, Kids with straight A's will still be held back. 64SUR. :popcorn:
Just means more holdbacks in 5th grade.

Parents will always want their children to be more mature in school.
I have never understood why in the world you don't just have the kid start school later. Put the kid in kindergarten a year late. Then he or she doesn't have to watch friends in the same grade go on without him and there is no affect on the academic progress of the child. If the child ends up being a great athlete that is awesome and if not then they will at least be a year older and more mature as they progress through school.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:I have never understood why in the world you don't just have the kid start school later. Put the kid in kindergarten a year late. Then he or she doesn't have to watch friends in the same grade go on without him and there is no affect on the academic progress of the child. If the child ends up being a great athlete that is awesome and if not then they will at least be a year older and more mature as they progress through school.
Have you got any kids? Have you ever thought about how much money 1 year of free babysitting would be?
Iam4thecats Wrote:Have you got any kids? Have you ever thought about how much money 1 year of free babysitting would be?

I do not and that is a great point but if you have the resources to do it and want to do it badly enough I am just saying it makes more sense than doing it later.
What's really the difference? They are the same age. I never have understood the argument.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:I have never understood why in the world you don't just have the kid start school later. Put the kid in kindergarten a year late. Then he or she doesn't have to watch friends in the same grade go on without him and there is no affect on the academic progress of the child. If the child ends up being a great athlete that is awesome and if not then they will at least be a year older and more mature as they progress through school.

Bingo! If you are holding a kid back in middle school and they are doing fine academically, it is obvious why you are holding them back. If you want your child to be more mature for what ever reason, hold them back before kindergarten so they stay with their class. It has to be hard emotionally on a kid to be held back in middle school.
Get rid of the 19 age rule and it ends period
Brooks4Prez Wrote:I would like this rule better if it stated that you cannot participate in actual games. The kids should still be able to practice and participate in team activities. If there is a legitimate reason to hold a student back academically then why punish the student athlete by not allowing them to participate in sports with their classmates?

If the kid is having problems academically, their time will be better spent on studies rather than sports, which is why the rule was put in place. Parents that do not see the value of an education over glory in HS sports need a wake up call. If they are not having problems academically, then they are mature enough to advance and should have never have been held back.
sstack Wrote:KHSAA has made new rule that if you are held back in middle school, you can not play sports the year you are held back. They said the focus should be on academics if you are held back and not sports. I think it is a great rule, but know there are parts of the state where this is common to do and will try to come up with all kinds of reasons why it is bad. I give a pat on the back to the board for adopting this new rule. Let's hear everyone's thoughts.

One thing we don't need is more regulations on personal freedom, the KHSAA telling us what is the best for our kids. So you can hold them back till the 5th grade then penalize them after that if they stay back, really isn't it suppose to be about the kids. If you hold kids back at an early age they will more than likely regress socially to that age group. The key period in a kids life is the change over from elementary to middle school and middle school to high school. At this point in their lives parents should determine if they need moved on socially, academically, or need physical maturity. If you can hold a kid back in the 3rd grade why not the 7th or 8th that should be the parents call, without making a kid set out a year of doing something they love. The KHSAA is a joke, in some regions of the state they trade basketball players like horses and are eligible the next season PLEASE! Know the KHSAA that cannot even make a realignment for high school football without having 6 teams in one district and 3 in the other PLEASE! I have 4 kids held three of them back 2 for sports and 1 for another reason, but that is my business and a family decision, and it was the best thing for them and I would do it again if I had to do it over. Every kid and parent should be entitled 1 hold back year to use anytime they fell like it even in high school without penalty, just my opinion and yes I pay just as much taxes as anybody so don't throw that lame duck around.
you are worried about my kids feelings if I hold him back? Lol
sstack Wrote:If the kid is having problems academically, their time will be better spent on studies rather than sports, which is why the rule was put in place. Parents that do not see the value of an education over glory in HS sports need a wake up call. If they are not having problems academically, then they are mature enough to advance and should have never have been held back.

You are full of it; my son was held back had 2 full offers in football and a great high school career competing for a state championship. He also has a 4.4 GPA and 25ACT and is going to college on a academic scholarship. Give us a wake up call, tell us your horror story about holdbacks, then ask those who held there kids back if they would do it again.
cherokee Wrote:You are full of it; my son was held back had 2 full offers in football and a great high school career competing for a state championship. He also has a 4.4 GPA and 25ACT and is going to college on a academic scholarship. Give us a wake up call, tell us your horror story about holdbacks, then ask those who held there kids back if they would do it again.

So your child is a A student, college scholly from academics, so why was it so important to hold him back so he would excel in sports? Where you living your dreams through him or what? Obvious he would excel academically without being held back, so I do not see how you justify it. Wasted a year repeating same classes for what?, so he could be a football hero? I love sports more than average person, but not going to hold my kids back just so they have a better chance to be a HS sports star, academics come first!
cherokee Wrote:You are full of it; my son was held back had 2 full offers in football and a great high school career competing for a state championship. He also has a 4.4 GPA and 25ACT and is going to college on a academic scholarship. Give us a wake up call, tell us your horror story about holdbacks, then ask those who held there kids back if they would do it again.

Why am I full of it? Because I said if kid is struggling in school time would be better spent studying rather than in sports? Because I said parents need a wake up call if they value a kid being a HS sports hero over doing well academically? Or because I said if they are mature enough to being getting good grades than they are mature enough to advance in school? I find that to be FULL OF good advice!

I notice your locations an I assume sstack you are from Fort Thomas. Does highland parent hold back kids....Just curious about that part of the state. Confusederiously:
sstack Wrote:Why am I full of it? Because I said if kid is struggling in school time would be better spent studying rather than in sports? Because I said parents need a wake up call if they value a kid being a HS sports hero over doing well academically? Or because I said if they are mature enough to being getting good grades than they are mature enough to advance in school? I find that to be FULL OF good advice!

Come on give us that horror story why it is bad, how many kids you have, how many kids you have play sports, what sports did you play. I have given you a great example of why it was good for my family, did you or Jr get knocked out by one of them holdbacks:eyeroll:
64SUR Wrote:I notice your locations an I assume sstack you are from Fort Thomas. Does highland parent hold back kids....Just curious about that part of the state. Confusederiously:

The only time you see kids held back (like I was) is with late birthdays in kindergarten, or if they are failing academically. My daughter has a late Sept. birthday and it was a tough decision if we should hold her back or not. We chose not to because she appeared ready. She is youngest in her class (has friends in grade behind her who are actually older than her). She is doing great academically and in sports (has earned all-state in both). She is also better socially than older sister. Would holding her back have helped in sports?, probably because she was very small and just now growing in size, but just can not justify holding a kid back that is doing well in school just for sports. Have no problem if kid needs it for academics. Sports are called extra- curricular activities because the #1 purpose of school is to get an education not sports!
As an above poster stated sounds like kid will be staying back early instead of 7th or 8th grade. Its an ok rule but still ways around it. I think if your kid needs to stay back in should be allowed no matter the grade if its for academic purposes. I myself would like to see a rule where kids can only be held back 1 year instead of some being held back for 2.
Some of the people I played sports with when I graduated was at least 2 years older than me. I mean heck they was basically driving there freshmen year.
We need to rethink this, some times you have kids who are gifted athletically, but have learning disabilities and will be naturally slower at there school work then most of there peers. Punishing them for playing the sports, will only reinforce the idea that the system is stack against them. This could lead to a few that may drop out of school completely. sports provides some of these kids with a system in which would keep them in school and the discipline they don't get at home. This thinking is old and was introduced in a time when the majority of kids wanted to play sports. Now kids almost find every reason not to play and therefore get into trouble with this free time. We need to rethink these rules and the impact they have on these kids. There are other ways to make a point with poor academics. When a kid fails a grade it is pretty hard to watch your peers go on to bigger and better things, while the individual has the task of repeating the work they did the year before. Furthermore on social level the kid will probably feel embarrassed that his peers, in some cases the kids they grew up with, are going out and playing sports that year a head at a new level. While they struggle with academics and no support at home.
cherokee Wrote:Come on give us that horror story why it is bad, how many kids you have, how many kids you have play sports, what sports did you play. I have given you a great example of why it was good for my family, did you or Jr get knocked out by one of them holdbacks:eyeroll:

Have 4 kids, 2 really into sports and play HS soccer,track,and CC; other two casual sports participants. I played just about every sport up until high school, and in HS played football, track and a little CC. I will gladly PM you about my kids and my athletic successes but not on here as I do not like to look like one who brags about themselves or kids, but we have all had our success, so no, did not get knocked out by holdbacks. In fact, just the opposite.
You do not think that holding kids back is the right thing to do? Good for you. There are plenty of people okay with the practice. These people are not inferior for holding a different opinion.
What is key in this whole argument is we have established it is a matter of parental choice. I hate the khsaa has stepped in when there are some others things they could worry about.
I do also think it should be a parents right to hold their child back. As far as playing, why doesn't someone get an injunction that forces the KHSSA to let them play? Every time a transfer is ruled ineligible an injunction is issued and the KHSAA has to let them play.
I'd love to know their rule on kids in FFA, Band, Chorus or the Forensics team.

Oh wait, nobody cares if those kids get held back.

Get held back an you happen to play the Trumpet, no one notices and all is right in the world. Let them have the ability to play a sport and tisk, tisk.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I'd love to know their rule on kids in FFA, Band, Chorus or the Forensics team.

Oh wait, nobody cares if those kids get held back.

Get held back an you happen to play the Trumpet, no one notices and all is right in the world. Let them have the ability to play a sport and tisk, tisk.

That's not entirely true.

State Governor's Cup ruled that any student that repeated a grade this past year was ineligible to compete in Governor's Cup Competition. That was totally unfair because the kids and parents had no idea the rule was going to be implemented. There was no grace period and it went into effect immediately. A lot of kids were knocked out of competing last year.
hardcore1 Wrote:Get rid of the 19 age rule and it ends period

Best post on this thread.
Out here in Eastern Kentucky, the education is not worth holding a kid back. I agree with some of you that it is considered a waste of taxpayers money to "babysit" a child just for the fact that they can "mature" or be part of a "dynasty" team. There are a lot of thing wrong with that.....A)No a single person in this state can tell how good a child will be at a sport in the fourth, fifth, or sixth grade. Bodies change, mentalities change, and just kids in general change. So holding them back at that age is silly. B)What on Earth is the point of holding a child back at the young ages of kindergarten, first, or second grade other than purely academics? The child barely knows what the word sports means? So I totally agree with hardcore1 with getting rid of the 19 age rule. Leave "redshirting" and everything for the college and pro level where people have already developed and developed an understanding of the game and where they potentially have their career invested in a sport.
I heldf my son back in 7th grade. I took a good hard look at him and realized he was more than a year a away from being ready to go to the high school. Best parental decision I have made for my son. I caught a ton of grief from the teachers at his school. He was a struggling student with some behavior problems. I was told by many of his teachers that hte only reason I held him back was for football. That was the furtherest thing from my mind. It has turned to be a blessing. He is a freshmen this who is carrying all A's and B's all year for the first time ever in his school career. Oh, and he still plays football and working hard in that. he is happy and I am happy. I think that this rule is taking stereotyping all holdbacks as athletic decisions and not parental decisions. it should be for the student and who cares about the competition that takes place in middle school. get the mready for hihg school how ever you can. athletically, academically and socially. I'm glad I did. I endorse holding kids back. allowing a a kid to mature should not be punished.
Pages: 1 2 3 4