Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Trent Gilbert offered walk-on spot at Louisville
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Scott County's Trent Gilbert has been offered a preferred walk-on spot at the University of Louisville.

Gilbert started on Wolfe County's varsity team as an 8th grader before transferring to Scott County.
Huggy_Bear Wrote:Scott County's Trent Gilbert has been offered a preferred walk-on spot at the University of Louisville.

Gilbert started on Wolfe County's varsity team as an 8th grader before transferring to Scott County.

Is Gilbert originally from Wolfe County? I remember him playing as an 8th grader, and thinking this kid is going to be very good. Good Luck to Gilbert in whatever he chooses to do.
Congrats to Gilbert. I could see him fitting in very nicely at the Ville!
congrats Trent Gilbert from williamsburg nation. Confusedinglepar
Gilbert will be a great addition to the Cardinals.
Got to see Trent play live a couple times and the kid can play. I really look forward to seeing how he fits in with pitino.
I think Trent really fits the style that Louisville likes to play.
Gilbert is a very good HS player...but I don't think he would ever play much at Louisville. Athleticism and defense would doom him. He would be a very good player at a mid major.
Gilbert may contribute as a jr. or sr.
He won't get that far
I wish him the best if that is what he decides. I thought he would be more of a mid major player that if in the right situation would play a lot of minutes.
Gilbert is a nice player, congrats to him.
Go where you can play for free Trent. Im sure theres a team that really needs you out there. Why be a practice player when you can contribute else where.
How much better was Elisha Justice than Gilbert?

Reason I am asking is because most are saying this is a bad decision on Gilbert's part. Justice had some success at UL before transferring.

"Had 33 assists with 14 turnovers for the season (2.36 ratio). He committed more than one turnover in a college game just twice. Had a string of 83 minutes of turnover free floor time broken with one against Marquette, his first turnover since Dec. 1 vs. FIU.
Had seven points, three rebounds and a season-high three steals against Morehead State in the NCAA Tournament second round.
Played 12 minutes against Marquette and contributed two assists during the Cards' 18-point comeback in the closing 5:44.
Scored a season high 12 points and grabbed six rebounds against Butler in his first game as a Cardinal."
Huggy_Bear Wrote:How much better was Elisha Justice than Gilbert?

Reason I am asking is because most are saying this is a bad decision on Gilbert's part. Justice had some success at UL before transferring.

"Had 33 assists with 14 turnovers for the season (2.36 ratio). He committed more than one turnover in a college game just twice. Had a string of 83 minutes of turnover free floor time broken with one against Marquette, his first turnover since Dec. 1 vs. FIU.
Had seven points, three rebounds and a season-high three steals against Morehead State in the NCAA Tournament second round.
Played 12 minutes against Marquette and contributed two assists during the Cards' 18-point comeback in the closing 5:44.
Scored a season high 12 points and grabbed six rebounds against Butler in his first game as a Cardinal."

They are about the same player, but if I had to rate their college potential I would put Gilbert a little ahead of Justice. Justice was a better ball handler but he lost some of his speed when he went to UL when he bulked up, but Gilbert is a better scorer, creator, and will fit the UL style of play better. Justice could be left alone pretty much on offence at UL where you will have to guard Gilbert from 25ft and it and he likes to push in transition. With that said I still don't think he will get a lot of minutes, and would rather see him at a MSU, EKU, or Western. Western would be fun to watch with Gilbert and Justin Johnson.
Huggy_Bear Wrote:How much better was Elisha Justice than Gilbert?

Two totally different players. Gilbert is very aggressive on the offensive end, great shooter, OK defender. Justice more of a pass first guy, very good defender. Gilbert probably has the better college upside due to his ability to score and score in bunches. Justice was a nice player, wish he could have stuck around at UofL.
Trent Gilbert was a thrill to watch at Scott County throughout his career, especially this year. He's the type of player that you had a sense of excitement whenever the ball was in his hands because you knew something was about to happen. I wish him the best of luck at UL. Playing time will likely be minimal but I hope to see him get an opportunity to show his skills! I'm convinced that if the Henderson kid could play some minutes there that Gilbert can definitely do it too.
Gilbert will be fine at U of L. Why is it a bad decision? Pitino coaches his walk ons just as hard as he does his scholarship players. And who is to say he won't earn one? There is a place for Gilbert because he is a great shooter. Justice chose to leave on his own. There are some big benefits to playing at U of L even if it is a walk-on spot.