Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Your view of realignment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How do you see realignment affecting your team over the next five years.
Looks good on the east side..Yahoo!!! :Cheerlead
It could end Berea's program.
It would be better with only 4 classes and the top two from each district going to the playoffs.
Looks good on my team.
love it
I think Johnson Central should be very happy
In 1a why not do away with district play altogether? There are 32 teams in 1a and they all make it in the playoffs.This does away with unwanted travel and you play who you want.Just rank them 1 - 32 and play.The higher seed gets the home field advantage.I know some team might have to go clear across the state at some time but that's better than 3 long trips in one year.Just a thought
I am thinking that JC and Blazer should be top teams in dist. 8 in 4a.
FarristownFlyer Wrote:It could end Berea's program.

How so?
^
Because of how far the rest of there district is, but I think that will change after the next meeting.

Personally, I have no quarrels with the alignment other than the usual suspects.
No way should we have 6 classes. That ones obvious, I say 5 would be the best soloution.
Teams being able to play up. Shouldn't be allowed. By letting teams play up, they get to pick and choose what they want, while allowing bigger schools above them play down in class if they so choose.
Mjolnir Wrote:I think Johnson Central should be very happy

Mjolnir Wrote:I am thinking that JC and Blazer should be top teams in dist. 8 in 4a.

Mjolnie....

Welcome to BGR.

What they did to Berea is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Closest district game is 2 hours away. With other district games 3 and 4 hours away. They could have to play a first round playoff game in Fulton County which is the far tip of Ky. They cannt afford that travel and losing that gate.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:In 1a why not do away with district play altogether? There are 32 teams in 1a and they all make it in the playoffs.This does away with unwanted travel and you play who you want.Just rank them 1 - 32 and play.The higher seed gets the home field advantage.I know some team might have to go clear across the state at some time but that's better than 3 long trips in one year.Just a thought

District games are guranteed games. For a lot of teams it is hard to get non-district games. I could not imagine trying to find 10. Also the district games become rivalry games for most teams.

If travel is too much go the HHS and CovCath route and play up as 1 possibility. It is unfortunate that some of these teams are isolated from teams of similar size.
If you are a fan of a team on an island like some of the 1A and 2A teams are then it sucks. You have 2 choices 1) start saving up for gas money or 2) play up to be closer. A 4 class or even 5 class system would work much better.
Play your other games closer to home.

If you are in a 5 team district you have 2 far district games, and 2 at home. If you make the playoffs and make a run...well...that's the whole state. We all have to travel.
For Warren Central, it moves them from being a very good team in the shadow of a truly great team to being the immediate dominant program for at least Year 1 in their 4A region. It makes them a legitimate title contender in the weakest class there is. There are problems at the middle school level that may change that dynamic after 2015, but in 2015, they are the heavy favorite in Region 1. They'll have their shot at John Hardin (or Collins) in the state semis at home in all likelihood.
FBALL Wrote:It would be better with only 4 classes and the top two from each district going to the playoffs.

I could see the top two argument with 6 class football, but with 4 class football?
You're talking 6 team district. The playoffs are fine the way they are right now if you had 4 classes.

Ive never been a fan of shortening the season, and if you only take the top two, your shortening the season.
johnnyd Wrote:How so?

Johnny D because Berea is an independent school district and don't get the funding like other districts. The budget at that school is very tight, and when they would be traveling several hours for a district game and a bus get 8 miles to a gallon...you do the math. Plus when those teams come to Berea that far of a trip not many fans show up which causes low gate money. It's bad business and a team driving that long in a bus is tough. And if they go to the playoffs, why would you want to go that far to probably take a butt whipping. I don't know Coach Coleman really, but everything I hear is positive, it just makes it tough on a team that struggles with funding!
Raceland hit the jackpot. 3 team district of Raceland, Fairview, and Paintsville. Rams will be favorite in that district every year. Then playing the winner of Paris, Bishop-Brossart, Bracken, and somebody else that's bad for the region title. Most likely Pikeville, Hazard, or Williamsburg in the Semi's. Raceland has a nice set up to make a trip to Bowling Green over the next few years.
I hated it at first. But without going to a 5 class system, I think its the best option. From a competetive stand point any way. 1A and 2A got alot more balanced and now dont have such a discrepency in the larger schools gs the smaller schools, which makes a difference with the West holding a majority of the bigger schools, if I am not mistaken, in both classes. 4 or 5 class system makes more sense though.
Unless programs like Raceland and Pikeville step up, Beechwood has potential to have a monopoly in 1A. Raceland and Pikeville have the potential to take their programs to that level and I think they will.
I think overall, the KHSAA did a decent job with the new alignment. There are always going to be schools who get the raw end of the deal. Looking at Eastern Kentucky schools, in 1A, Distict 8 just got a lot more competitive with Pikeville and Hazard being in the same district. In 2A, District 7 is once again loaded, and Prestonsburg is once again in a weak District 8. In 3A, Breathitt is once again placed in one of the weakest districts in the state, and it is nice to see Corbin, and Bell, being placed in the east. In my opinion, Belfry has an easier road to get to the state semi-final, but I don't think it would matter regardless of who they are playing in the east, with the talent they have, year in and year out. In 4A, Johnson Central has an excellent chance getting to Bowling Green on a consistent basis, with Highlands and Covington Catholic moving to 5A. In 5A, the road is going to be very hard for any Eastern Kentucky to make it to Bowling Green, with Highlands standing in their path. So it must be said, that Pulp fiction and the rest of the "Golden Eagle Nation" are dancing in the streets of Paintsville, due to the fact they will no longer be facing two teams by the name of Highlands, and Covington Catholic. Good luck to all teams this upcoming year!!!!!
FBALL Wrote:It would be better with only 4 classes and the top two from each district going to the playoffs.

I've never understood this, unless there is a camp of you all who have been wanting this since 1990? Which was the first year that four teams were allowed to go to the playoffs.

Which, if there is...all good. I understand the 2 teams advance in 6 classes, but I've never understood the want for 2 teams in four classes.

My vote for 6 classes is take the top 3. Fact is, 3 over 2's are relatively common. If getting an 11th game is the main concern, fine...so be it...that's all that the 4 seeds get from the current set up as is.

So, take the top 3...1 seeds get a 1st round bye. 2 and 3's duke it out.

Then again, there is the argument that the District champs would get cheated a gate for winning the district title...which, doesn't make much sense either.

Is what it is. It's not changing, and it's hard to argue with the state of football in Kentucky right now as is. College and high school levels. So, it must doing some good.
FarristownFlyer Wrote:Johnny D because Berea is an independent school district and don't get the funding like other districts. The budget at that school is very tight, and when they would be traveling several hours for a district game and a bus get 8 miles to a gallon...you do the math. Plus when those teams come to Berea that far of a trip not many fans show up which causes low gate money. It's bad business and a team driving that long in a bus is tough. And if they go to the playoffs, why would you want to go that far to probably take a butt whipping. I don't know Coach Coleman really, but everything I hear is positive, it just makes it tough on a team that struggles with funding!

I don't know if it's that, b/c if that was the case, then our Independent school districts across the state would all be struggling....when, it's the opposite in terms of football success.

Some of our best programs of all time and current top programs are Independents.
Highlands, BG, Corbin, Beechwood, Mayfield, Somerset, Glasgow, Owensboro, Danville, Russell, Ashland, Murray...not to mention the likes Raceland, Whitesburg, Pikeville, Elizabethtown, amongst others who have a strong tradition.

Unfortunately for Berea, they are stuck in a county with two county schools that have unbelievable facilities and big schools. I think it's just a case of..."I live in Madison County, where do I want my son to play football?" Berea, unfortunately has been and always will be a distant 3rd.
FarristownFlyer Wrote:Johnny D because Berea is an independent school district and don't get the funding like other districts. The budget at that school is very tight, and when they would be traveling several hours for a district game and a bus get 8 miles to a gallon...you do the math. Plus when those teams come to Berea that far of a trip not many fans show up which causes low gate money. It's bad business and a team driving that long in a bus is tough. And if they go to the playoffs, why would you want to go that far to probably take a butt whipping. I don't know Coach Coleman really, but everything I hear is positive, it just makes it tough on a team that struggles with funding!

Another school that Berea is familiar with is also on a tight budget...Campbellsville Independent. The difference b/t the two? Athletes. Not money. That's the real reason Berea struggles.
Outside of my school, if I'm a Golden Eagle... I'm REAL anxious for 2016 and 2017. Looking like a back to back gold trophy could come to Paintsville.
GoHerd_22 Wrote:Unless programs like Raceland and Pikeville step up, Beechwood has potential to have a monopoly in 1A. Raceland and Pikeville have the potential to take their programs to that level and I think they will.
Beechwood isn't even the best team in their Region. The tide has changed on Frankfort vs. Beechwood.

I agree, Berea got the shaft. Need to be placed in a Dist. where the travel is less.
DragonFire Wrote:For Warren Central, it moves them from being a very good team in the shadow of a truly great team to being the immediate dominant program for at least Year 1 in their 4A region. It makes them a legitimate title contender in the weakest class there is. There are problems at the middle school level that may change that dynamic after 2015, but in 2015, they are the heavy favorite in Region 1. They'll have their shot at John Hardin (or Collins) in the state semis at home in all likelihood.

Kind of bitter sweet as a John Hardin fan to move out of 5A. I love seeing the BG/JH rivalry. It looks like the duo of Warren Central and Collins will replace them as our rivals at least until 2018. I can tell you that in 2016 and 2017 JH will be absolutely loaded with talent. As it stands right now those teams have the potential to be the most talented teams at the skill positions JH has had.
Pages: 1 2