Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What 2 teams play for the AA state title?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Early prediction on who plays for the trophy in class AA this year.
Probably every one forsees a Mercer vs. Russell or Belfry game for the title.
It probably should happen like that. Russell, Belfry are as well coached as any and both have tradition and talent and either or can win it, No doubt.
Mercer is the 5A team playing 2A football and looks like the odds on favorite to win it all. I'm going to have to be a lil' different and Imo we have neither this year.

I like a Louisville Western vs. Middlesboro matchup for the title in AA.

Middlesboro has tons of tradition itself.The talent rich yellowjackets have Casey Earls who is ranked in the top 20 in rushing and scoring. Their qb Hoskins is rated in the top 5 in AA in passing. Ford is also ranked in the top 20 in scoring.
They are the no. 1 scoring team in AA and also have a scoring defense in the tops statewide in AA. They put 62 points on a Corbin team that played Bell 17-14. I think the yellowjackets get in the door this year and 19 seniors lead the way.:Thumbs:
Middlesboro will have a difficult time with the region!
What can I say, I'm one of the guys that picked Uk to win the NCAA last year too.LOL
Belfry and Russell have owned it for the past 3 years, not to say they wont again.
This is the best Middlesboro team in a long time, tons of talent this year. Senior loaded and these seniors like Earls and Hoskins have been starting since they were sophomores. I think they have a great shot. Russell or Belfry does also.
I agree with Getum-Choppin ! Middlesboro has an explosive offense ! If you want to beat 'em that means you have to go into a Shootout with 'em and the only team in 2A East Ky that can do that is Russel ! Belfry is more focused on the Ground game and they wouldnt be able to keep up !
blackcat_student Wrote:I agree with Getum-Choppin ! Middlesboro has an explosive offense ! If you want to beat 'em that means you have to go into a Shootout with 'em and the only team in 2A East Ky that can do that is Russel ! Belfry is more focused on the Ground game and they wouldnt be able to keep up !

Same thing was said about M'boro in 2003 and Belfry went to thier place and left with a shutout win 21-0! Explosive teams can be stopped!
Belfry_99 Wrote:Same thing was said about M'boro in 2003 and Belfry went to thier place and left with a shutout win 21-0! Explosive teams can be stopped!

True they can be stopped ! But look at the Athletes on this team ! 3 of them are on Rivals.com Scout.com !
Belfry
Russell
Belfry or Russell
Mercer and Western could be better than Russell or Belfry, If not they are just as good. Remember the name Middlesboro in AA this season. Western vs. Middlesboro for the AA state championship.
Guys, Russel has to go to death valley and they will end there.
two color blue Wrote:Guys, Russel has to go to death valley and they will end there.

Maybe, Maybe not. We'll just have to wait and see if both teams even get that far. Then we can worry about that game. I'll say Russell/Belfy vs Merger Co for the championship game.
Belfry vs. Louisville Western
Prediction: The Pirates bring the title back to Pond Creek
Can Mercer play Western? If so, I think that will be the way it goes. I cannot see anyone beating Mercer this year in 2A, regardless of where they are from.
russell vs mercer
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Can Mercer play Western? If so, I think that will be the way it goes. I cannot see anyone beating Mercer this year in 2A, regardless of where they are from.

Mercan can play Western, but it would be during the regional championship round I believe. Even though Mercer is district 5 and Western is district 3, they did a blind draw or something and it turns out that in AA the regional matchups are D1 vs D2 , D3 vs D5 , D4 vs D6 , and D7 vs D8.
Midee1 Wrote:Maybe, Maybe not. We'll just have to wait and see if both teams even get that far. Then we can worry about that game. I'll say Russell/Belfy vs Merger Co for the championship game.

I think you right about the winner of this game playing Mercer, but it's kids playing this sport and any thing can haappen.
Ok but Western is just as good as Mercer. Western is the only team up there has a shot to beat Mercer. Middlesboro is very,very good. Wouldn't Belfry have to travel to Middlesboro?
Getum-Choppin Wrote:Ok but Western is just as good as Mercer. Western is the only team up there has a shot to beat Mercer. Middlesboro is very,very good. Wouldn't Belfry have to travel to Middlesboro?

Middlesboro would have to travel to Belfry. This is an even year (2006) so the even/higher district hosts the regional championship. Middleboro is district 7 and Belfry is district 8.
Getum-Choppin Wrote:Ok but Western is just as good as Mercer. Western is the only team up there has a shot to beat Mercer. Middlesboro is very,very good. Wouldn't Belfry have to travel to Middlesboro?

Doesn't matter if they played on Mars, Belfry still wins.
Mercer hands down is the best team in 2A. I believe they will play either Belfry or Russell! Anything can happen in the state finals though.
I belive Belfry will have their hands full with Middlesboro. They actually match-up better with Russell, and Russell may match-up better with the Yellow Jackets.

I still look for either Russell or Belfry to face Merger Co. in the finals.
i say that it will be either russell vs. mercer or belfry vs. mercer