Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Betsy Layne looks for a New Coach...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The time has finally came and William Jr Newsome has retired.. Who will be Betsy Laynes next coach?
If this is true I think he was a great coach , and will be missed.
I hate to hear this news if that is the case. I enjoyed watching him on the sidelines and enjoyed watching his teams play.
Who has applied/in the running for this job?

If I was Betsy Layne, I'd reach out to Kevin Spurlock. From Floyd County and played at Allen Central.

Would be hard pressed to find anyone with his resume.
LeftBeaverAAU Wrote:Who has applied/in the running for this job?

If I was Betsy Layne, I'd reach out to Kevin Spurlock. From Floyd County and played at Allen Central.

Would be hard pressed to find anyone with his resume.

Not sure what his resume is. I do know he has had jobs at MANY big named schools. The problem is my bolded word. From what I know of the guy his a good person. But there's obviously something going on somewhere. His short stint at Clay, Hazard, Sheldon Clark and Perry Central raises a red flag to me.
Tim Hall will be the new coach at Betsy Layne from what I have been hearing.

As for Kevin Spurlock, there aint no red flags with this guy. You will be lucky to get him.
Kevin Spurlock has been at too many school already. you wouldnt want someone at your school who would only use the position as a stepping stone to whatever higher paying gig you can get. I think he has lost a lot of respect in the coaching ranks with some decisions he has made. Additionally Jr newsome hasnt officially stepped down it, at this point thats only a rumor. If and when he steps down you can expect the coaching job to stay in house to one of the assistants or someone else affilitaed with the program.
GCK24 Wrote:Kevin Spurlock has been at too many school already. you wouldnt want someone at your school who would only use the position as a stepping stone to whatever higher paying gig you can get. I think he has lost a lot of respect in the coaching ranks with some decisions he has made. Additionally Jr newsome hasnt officially stepped down it, at this point thats only a rumor. If and when he steps down you can expect the coaching job to stay in house to one of the assistants or someone else affilitaed with the program.

I agree with you, except I don't think he chases money...I think he chases talent.... I can't give much admiration to a guy who doesn't stay long enough to grow his own talent…IMO
Who is Tim Hall?
Kevin Spurlock lives in Johnson County guys. Betsy Layne would be a lot closer to home for him. I dont think you will find a better quality coach or a better quality person. If I was the Superintendent over there, I'd hire him right now. And show me one coach that doesnt want to have talent.
And Tim Hall is the greatest player to ever play at Betsy Layne. I heard Ronnie Sammons will be his head assistant if he gets the job. But I'd probably say Spurlock has a better shot where Hall isnt a teacher or employee of the school board.
The_Rock Wrote:Kevin Spurlock lives in Johnson County guys. Betsy Layne would be a lot closer to home for him. I dont think you will find a better quality coach or a better quality person. If I was the Superintendent over there, I'd hire him right now. And show me one coach that doesnt want to have talent.

Everyone wants talent sure, the difference is when you stay long enough to grow your own the program becomes stronger and you can consistently compete for a regional title.....good example is Rodney Woods at Wayne Co.
Constant changing of coaches brings inconsistence to a program.

If I was Supt. he wouldn't be considered (Guess I am old fashion)
The next coach will stay in house. Don't kid yourself. It will be a list of these men. Derrick Newsome, Gary Keathley, Brandon Kidd, Brian Dixon.
Where did the hearsay of Tim Hall come from? I highly doubt that he will be the next coach at Betsy Layne.
The_Rock Wrote:And Tim Hall is the greatest player to ever play at Betsy Layne. I heard Ronnie Sammons will be his head assistant if he gets the job. But I'd probably say Spurlock has a better shot where Hall isnt a teacher or employee of the school board.

Better than Grady Wallace or Dan Hall? Really?
Betsy Layne you will be crazy if you don't hire Derrick Newsome. Great coach
pugsley79 Wrote:Betsy Layne you will be crazy if you don't hire Derrick Newsome. Great coach

I think he could do a good job, but he took over the Allen Central HS Girls for one year, who had already won 15 or so games the year before, while returning 99% of that team. Not hard to win under those circumstances.
Although he has had some success, Kevin Spurlock has had his chance to be a head coach. He has to leave everywhere he goes because he usually burns so many bridges that people do not trust him. However, Betsy Layne usually hires within the program. I've heard Brandon Kidd and Gary Keathley are leading candidates at the time.

I have also heard that they have other applicants that were waiting to see if Junior would really retire. Only time will tell.
Gary Keathley will be named Wednesday or Thursday.
I don't think they could go wrong with Derrick Newsome or Brandon Kidd.
Nothing is set in stone on the coach. Gary Keathley would be the first in line I would think, but I have heard Bryan Dixon wants to take over. He is already in house and would make it a lot easier choice. The kids know and respect him!!
bobcats#1fan Wrote:Gary Keathley will be named Wednesday or Thursday.

Is this a done deal?
Gary Keathley is your New HC
Westside Wrote:I don't think they could go wrong with Derrick Newsome or Brandon Kidd.

No experience
Warthog Wrote:No experience

They have been assistance coaches for a few years now. Every head coach has to coach his first year.
No experience he has been on the BL bench for 15 years .