Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands Football History....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As im sure you Highlands fan are "quietly" aware, you have the second most all time wins in the country for any high school football program.
Since 2011 alone, you've jumped from 4th to 2nd, passing up another Ky school in Male. Its kind of bitter sweet that such a basketball state has two of the top 5 all time winning programs in the country, soon to be 3 once Mayfield passes up the team in front of them whos ahead by only one game.

But, back to the topic on hand, Valdosta High School still currently has the most wins in the country at 882. But, Valdosta isn't the program they use to be. They barely made 500 this year, and things aren't looking better in the future.
Highlands sits in second place with 855 wins. That's only 27 wins behind Valdosta. If the teams sported the same record (which is likely for Highlands, not sure about Valdosta) as they did this year, then it would only take around 5 years for Highlands to move to the top. Im sure Highlands fans are very aware of this, but its still something that needs to be noted.

Id also like to add that on that list behind Highlands sits Male at number 3 with 833 wins (just ahead of Massillon with 830) and Mayfield is sitting at number 6 in the country with 819 wins, which is just one behind Mount Carmel PA with 820. Im not sure where there at, but Paducah Tilghman is also in the top 20 I believe.

Could we see KY dominate the all time record books within a decade? Is this a product of great football, or subpar competition over the years?
When I look at this, I think of Valdosta, which would be the largest school in KY with over 2400 kids, and how smaller schools in KY like Highlands success translate into one another.

Thoughts?
Im assuming you got these numbers from the maxpreps top 50 wins list ive looked at just trying to remember off the top of my head but i think tilghman was around 27 before last years season and i think danville st x and owensboro were all in the top 50 if i remember correctly i just wonder how accurate there numbers are because mayfield has won 21 games since they celebrated there 800th win on 10 12 12 it could have to do with the 1911 and 1912 games with tilghman being disputed just am curious if they are off on other teams as well i look at it this way a team like valdosta may play better competition in there district and in playoffs but its fair competition since they are classed at that size to but out of there class they get to play smaller schools and get easier wins a team like mayfield has easier competition in class but its fair cause they are a smaller school but out of class they play 7 games a year against bigger schools some of which are 5 and 6a so they are at a disadvantage in those so in the end i think it evens out
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:As im sure you Highlands fan are "quietly" aware, you have the second most all time wins in the country for any high school football program.
Since 2011 alone, you've jumped from 4th to 2nd, passing up another Ky school in Male. Its kind of bitter sweet that such a basketball state has two of the top 5 all time winning programs in the country, soon to be 3 once Mayfield passes up the team in front of them whos ahead by only one game.

But, back to the topic on hand, Valdosta High School still currently has the most wins in the country at 882. But, Valdosta isn't the program they use to be. They barely made 500 this year, and things aren't looking better in the future.
Highlands sits in second place with 855 wins. That's only 27 wins behind Valdosta. If the teams sported the same record (which is likely for Highlands, not sure about Valdosta) as they did this year, then it would only take around 5 years for Highlands to move to the top. Im sure Highlands fans are very aware of this, but its still something that needs to be noted.

Id also like to add that on that list behind Highlands sits Male at number 3 with 833 wins (just ahead of Massillon with 830) and Mayfield is sitting at number 6 in the country with 819 wins, which is just one behind Mount Carmel PA with 820. Im not sure where there at, but Paducah Tilghman is also in the top 20 I believe.

Could we see KY dominate the all time record books within a decade? Is this a product of great football, or subpar competition over the years?When I look at this, I think of Valdosta, which would be the largest school in KY with over 2400 kids, and how smaller schools in KY like Highlands success translate into one another.

Thoughts?

There is for sure some poor football in some parts of KY, but Highlands always plays a tough schedule and usually has several strong teams from outside KY on their schedule. I would assume that Valdosta also plays a strong schedule.
Will the "Hefty Lefty" get his own chapter?
killbilly usmc Wrote:Im assuming you got these numbers from the maxpreps top 50 wins list ive looked at just trying to remember off the top of my head but i think tilghman was around 27 before last years season and i think danville st x and owensboro were all in the top 50 if i remember correctly i just wonder how accurate there numbers are because mayfield has won 21 games since they celebrated there 800th win on 10 12 12 it could have to do with the 1911 and 1912 games with tilghman being disputed just am curious if they are off on other teams as well i look at it this way a team like valdosta may play better competition in there district and in playoffs but its fair competition since they are classed at that size to but out of there class they get to play smaller schools and get easier wins a team like mayfield has easier competition in class but its fair cause they are a smaller school but out of class they play 7 games a year against bigger schools some of which are 5 and 6a so they are at a disadvantage in those so in the end i think it evens out

I actually got the numbers from Highlands Football website. Whoever runs that site updates them every year and is correct. Max Preps and articles I searched and looked at hadn't been updated for at least two years. Highlands website was the only one that had up to date numbers.

As for Tilghman, I was just going off what I had seen in the past. I know there up there, but not sure exactly where. However, its below the rankings on that site. It also has a top 10 KY list.

Heres a link...

http://www.highlands-bluebirds.com/ssp/all-time-wins
Let's get highlands two play Valdosta , love two see this game ,
^
I think Highlands wins 9 out of 10 if they start playing now...
Highlands is going to be Highlands. They will still be there through it all.
eagles2011 Wrote:Let's get highlands two play Valdosta , love two see this game ,

Great idea. Two winningest programs in the nation squaring off.
ESPN would be interested.

BTW... did highlands ever finish off a schedule? I heard that the second team from florida also canceled. I think they have 9 games and have 0 or 1 open. I say Bowling Green or Collins!
^
After watching what Highlands did to a Florida team last year, I don't know if any of them would want to play.
After the way the season unfolded, I think Highlands should have switched places with Trinity on the two teams they played on ESPN.
I think Highlands beats that team that beat Trinity.