Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Phelps vs Belfry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This game is something every fan shouldn't be able to wait for; The Pirates and the Hornets face-off again. Although the 60th District is up for grabs this year between the Phelps Hornets, Pike County Central Hawks, and the Belfry Pirates, these two teams show extreme potential and young talent.

The Belfry Pirates' bats are led by Keaton Taylor (Approx. .560 BA).
The Phelps Hornet's bats are led by Dalton Prater (Approx. .600 BA).

The Belfry Pirates' defense is very solid with players like Taylor and Fannin.
Phelps' defense looks solid with players like Hurley, Stump, Prater, and Sneed, but has some jagged places, also.

Phelps stands without a win, but they're YOUNG. It's said that they start two 8th graders, 2 Sophomores (Sophomore Stars; Hurley and Prater), and 5 Juniors (Junior Stars; Sneed and Stump).

Belfry is already off to a great start and they show tremendous speed and hand-eye coordination at the plate. They rarely commit an error, and are young, BUT not as young as the Hornets.

Prater, LF for the Hornets, is a Belfry transfer but DID NOT play for them last year. Kids say he broke his thumb and he is out for the next 2 months, along with second-baseman Dylan New, who may be out for the season with an unknown reason. Garret Fannin, star Pirate, is a former transfer from Phelps from a couple years back. Will these transfers make this more than a game, and a little more personal in order to make a point?

With these two teams so evenly matched and with such great players, this game will be one to remember every time they meet on the field this season.

NOTE
*I have watched more Phelps games than Belfry games, so I know a little more about them and their players.
I'll take Belfry in this one in 5 innings.
Spud6 Wrote:I'll take Belfry in this one in 5 innings.

Spud, thanks for making me laugh :thatsfunn you just made my day. God that was a good one.
Was it the 27-5 or 12-2 loss to the same Betsy Layne that Belfry beat 9-2 that led you to believe this should be en exciting series between the two?
It'll be a little more challenging than you think. Phelps was beat badly by Betsy Layne, BUT do you know who pitched for the Hornets? I guess not. It was an 8th grader (Dylan New) and a Senior (Da'Von Smith). Neither had ever pitched until those games. If I had to guess, Coach Fields was saving him big arms for the Belfry game. Why else wouldn't he pitch Bailey Hurley, Kyle Sneed, Zack Francis, or Dalton Prater? He didn't even play those 4 players ANYWHERE on the field the second game from what I saw. So, he's resting them, and having them focus on the game that really matters. Don't believe me now? Just wait. Phelps may not win, BUT they WILL challenge Belfry. They're the "road warriors".
HornetFan5 Wrote:It'll be a little more challenging than you think. Phelps was beat badly by Betsy Layne, BUT do you know who pitched for the Hornets? I guess not. It was an 8th grader (Dylan New) and a Senior (Da'Von Smith). Neither had ever pitched until those games. If I had to guess, Coach Fields was saving him big arms for the Belfry game. Why else wouldn't he pitch Bailey Hurley, Kyle Sneed, Zack Francis, or Dalton Prater? He didn't even play those 4 players ANYWHERE on the field the second game from what I saw. So, he's resting them, and having them focus on the game that really matters. Don't believe me now? Just wait. Phelps may not win, BUT they WILL challenge Belfry. They're the "road warriors".

So he didn't pitch any of those guys in any of the three games thus far? (All three losses by 10 or more, all three to teams we've beaten)
I say Belfry by 8 runs
He has only pitched Francis, and that was in the East Ridge game. Prater didn't play in that game until the 5th inning for some reason, and Hurley and Sneed played SS and 2B the whole night. After Prater came in, he and Hurley both hit SHOTS to right field (Prater's falling just short of the fence). I'm not saying that Phelps will beat Belfry, I'm just saying that it's not gonna be a "cake-walk". Betsy Layne did destroy Phelps, but does 2 games really portray the right image about Phelps and them being a losing team?