Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mr. Basketball Award opinions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This year they picked Mr. Basketball before the Sweet 16. Quentin Snider of Ballard won the award. Nick Ruthsatz, point guard and state champion CovCath's best player wasn't even a finalist, although he wasn't getting much, if any, statewide press until the Sweet 16.

After his incredible Sweet 16 performance, many (not on this site, but in general) believe that Ruthsatz should've gotten more consideration for Mr. Basketball.

Now in 2011, Anthony Hickey led his Christian County Colonels to a state title. He won Mr. Basketball not long after. If they would've picked Mr. Basketball before the Sweet 16, they probably would've picked Chane Behanan, Zach Price, or Remy Abell.

With all that being said, I've got one question... Is it better to vote for Mr. Basketball before or after the state championship? And for the record, Ruthsatz had an incredible season, but Snider was hands down the best player in the state
Not long ago,, it wasn't written in stone but UK was more or less forced to offer a scholly to each Mr Basketball. Me personally? Offer before the state tournament. Someone not really considered may get a lucky 3-4 game stretch in state and win it over someone that was in the lead all year but didn't make state.
^ I agree... I like the announcing before the start of the State Tournament. Mr. Basketball should be decided on the players SEASON not just a good showing at State IMO.
While Ruthsatz is a great player I too believe it should be announced before state tournament. If a player has a great run at state a lot of people will vote it off of recent emotion. JMO
What they did with the ceremony/banquet on Tuesday night before the tourney started was simply awesome; do not expect that to go away any time soon, as it will only grow bigger. It included this years candidates and their families, along with former winners. Not many of the former guys showed up, but I do believe there was around 8-10. Would expect that list to get to 15 or so next year. The right guy won it this season. Hickey didn't win it solely based on his sweet 16 performance either. If I remember correctly, he was the favorite going into the tourney.
^ I think Remy Abell was the slight favorite going into that tournament

what about the Heisman effect? It doesn't always apply, but sometimes (most of the QBs in the 2000s), the guy that wins the Heisman craps his pants in the bowl game. Could that be an issue going into the state tournament, or do you think the attention isn't a factor?
That could be right about Abell. In response to your other statement, you would think that Mr. Basketball caliber player wouldn't be bothered either way, but you never know.
Mr. Basketball like the Heisman becomes a regional vote. People vote on what they hear and see via press clippings. Also, coaches send out stat sheets to voters and ask for their vote. If they wait until after the state tournament most of the voters get to see a candidate play. There is no perfect solution, however, the fact remains that Mr. and Miss Basketball is a popularity vote most years.
Mr. Basketball is about the whole season and career not the just who had a great sweet sixteen. I think it should be voted on before the tourney.
I think the Sweet 16 needs to be considered, it after all is part of the candidates FULL season of work..... I propose having two ballots, one before the Sweet Sixteen and the other after, however weighted differently... For example, the ballot before the Sweet 16 could be worth let's say 90% and the ballot after sweet 16 could be worth 10%...Just a thought
I like it before the state tournament. Doesn't allow a player getting hot for a week and stealing the award from someone who had a better season and career. Also, with all due respect to Ruthsatz, what finalist would he have replaced on the list? He had a great year, great sweet 16, is now a state champion and will be an excellent college player IMO, but even if they voted the week after, he shouldn't have been a finalist. Besides I'm sure he would rather have that state championship trophy anyway.
It should be after the Sweet 16. The post season does matter. That way you can vote on a player based on an entire body of work.
I think it definitely needs to be BEFORE the tourney.

Mr. Basketball should not be synonymous with the Sweet 16 MVP