Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: How do I teach........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
my son to take on a kid that is 2 years older than he is and outweighs him? He plays offensive/defenseive line and does a descent job, but this kid just mauls everyone. So far in three games against this kid, my son has only been pan-caked twice, and has actually gotten this kid on the ground once by side-stepping and using the "swim" move. My son is 7, as of Sept 28th, what are some important things I need to be teaching him as far as techniques? He is going to be a dandy IMO, only this big kid pushes him around. I have told him to use angles instead of running straight, and that helped. Are there any good camps in this part of the state he can go to?
chop block..is he playing d or o?
dfblackcat53 Wrote:chop block..is he playing d or o?
both
this kid seems to just bull-rush every time, and when I taught my son to use angles and be quicker off the ball, he did better and it was even.
We used kind of a stunt, slanting the end down and slanting the DT out, that seemed to confuse the big guy also.
This kid growls and tries to intimidate everyone, but my son slaps his chest like a guarilla and yells.....lol
Back in college when I still played I over heard like the OL coach on pass protection tell the players to make sure they have one leg back and at like a squatting position. Take their arms and get them on the inside of the person because with that one leg back and other one forward they should have more leverage that the DL. On DL I say just worry about getting off the ball quick, use your arms and never let them get you on the inside of your arms, its much harder to get off a block that way, take the punch to them then you can read the play and throw them which way you want to make the tackle. Also, if you break through the line and the play seems to be going in the opposite direction, have him run directly down the line behind the OL, most of the time you will make a tackle in the backfield because the RB unless its a sweep he'll read hole and if its not there he'll cut back thinking there is open running room to the far side. Those are the only things I can really think of, I played SS.
And do not teach a 7 yr old to Chop Block, to young,someone can get hurt easy.
Tell him to stay low and give it all he's got. First one in is the first one to win.
Just got back from the game and my son was in the backfield the whole game. They moved the big guy over to the other side of the line and put another big kid in there, but it did not slow him down.......I am soooo proud of him because this kid was intimidating him. He is also proud of himself, could be a life altering thing, not quitting in the face of fear.
Teach him the crowther block. If the play is to his right, Fire step right, 6" power step ata 45* degree angle with his toe pointed up field, not a veer step. Throw his left flipper into the thigh right below the waiste of the defenders near leg to the play. Take his other hand and strike the playside hip of the defender. Teach him to Pound his knees in the ground. It's all about first step with line play. Deliver the blow with the flipper,low, then punch the hip as you drive unsquaring the defender from his gap.
Once you 'Fire step to the play, Deliver the blow, Punch the hip , Pound the knees and once you punch that hip and turn him get your butt to the hole and Drive! The whole key is If you cant or are not strong enough to drive him By punching that playside hip and unsquaring him and getting your butt to the ball even if you can't whip him you have walled him off creating a running lane. I have a whole video tape series on this.
Control the hip,Control the man.
Getum-Choppin Wrote:Teach him the crowther block. If the play is to his right, Fire step right, 6" power step ata 45* degree angle with his toe pointed up field, not a veer step. Throw his left flipper into the thigh right below the waiste of the defenders near leg to the play. Take his other hand and strike the playside hip of the defender. Teach him to Pound his knees in the ground. It's all about first step with line play. Deliver the blow with the flipper,low, then punch the hip as you drive unsquaring the defender from his gap.
Once you 'Fire step to the play, Deliver the blow, Punch the hip , Pound the knees and once you punch that hip and turn him get your butt to the hole and Drive! The whole key is If you cant or are not strong enough to drive him By punching that playside hip and unsquaring him and getting your butt to the ball even if you can't whip him you have walled him off creating a running lane. I have a whole video tape series on this.
:thumpsup:
Getum-Choppin Wrote:Teach him the crowther block. If the play is to his right, Fire step right, 6" power step ata 45* degree angle with his toe pointed up field, not a veer step. Throw his left flipper into the thigh right below the waiste of the defenders near leg to the play. Take his other hand and strike the playside hip of the defender. Teach him to Pound his knees in the ground. It's all about first step with line play. Deliver the blow with the flipper,low, then punch the hip as you drive unsquaring the defender from his gap.
What happens if it is a straight run and the lineman is using a bull rush, nothing fancy? I have taught him the swim move and angles, is that the correct thing to do when dealing with the straight ahead rush from a bigger, stronger lineman? My son seems to handle the big guys easier when he takes the angles, but is using the swim move more effectively the last couple games. There are only a few players bigger than my son in his age group, and he is done playing them for this year. He plays against teams that have lineman that he has handled well in the games earlier this season, so what should I have him working on? What is the best stance on defense for a DT? I have seen 3-point stances and 4-point stances?
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:What is the best stance on defense for a DT? I have seen 3-point stances and 4-point stances?

One of my good friends that I played high school football with went on to play for James Madison when they won the D1-AA National Title, he always used the 4-pt. stance, he was just a brute in his legs and just plowed over everyone though. I personally allow the 4-pt. because it starts your body low and allows you to drive up through the lineman. But in the 3 pt. stance at this age, I would have him put his weak arm down, and use his strong arm for a dip and rip or swim move.
tell him to hit at the hip pads, stay low, and keep his feet moving untill that whistle blows, and if the guy gets by and is un-blockable, to go out blood thirsty for another man to block.
So your talking about D line play, Thought you were talkin bout O-line.
Good drills to do for your son with d-line and these came straight from a guy who's probably going to win 2A this year(mabey lol). We taught this on the high school level but it's really easy. Line up 2 D linemen across from each other or all your d-line.
Bout a 45* degree bend with your arms away from each other, pretty tight.
Always stand behind the opposite guy that is doing the drill so you can see tech.
Have the d-lineman you are looking at while standing behind the other put his hands on the ground, fingertips. Now they will be both lined up on their knees for this drill.
On command call HIT! having the D lineman with his hands down fire both his hands straight out into the guys numbers, Thumbs up. Grab cloth and do not release until you give a READY! call. On ready he puts his hands back on the ground. Hit, He fires his hands straight out back into the guys no.'s thumbs up and grabs cloth, Don't let him release till he heres your Ready call then hands back o the ground. Start slow but when he gets it down, Fire it at him quick. READY, HIT. LIKE A MACHINE GUN. Your teaching him the most important thing he can learn as a d-lineman, To use his hands and get seperation from the o-lineman and keeping him from getting into his body.
When he fires his hands from the ground into the guy's no.'s, Make sure his arms are fully extended like a bench press. He's got to knock the other guy backwards and have the player who is taking the blow grab his wrists so he doesn't fall over.
Low man wins, and technique is overrated unless the size of each player is about the same.

Just tell him to fight tooth and nail, be lower and more physical and he'll be alright.
I disagree totally Mr. right. Technique is the only chance a smaller, weaker guy has.
I've seen and coached lineman who couldn't bench 200lbs but they were great technique guys. I bet you Haywood or Maglone would never say tech. is over rated.
Low man does win, But a big ole boy who is strong as an ox but never been coached up on fundamentals or technique will lose the battle to a smaller weaker guy who is fundamentally sound and has been coached up on proopper technique. It's all abot propper technique. Breathitt won it in 1995 and 3 of their guys on that o-line were 200 lbs or less. Breathitt won it in 96 and 4 of their guys were 200lbs or less. Their starting center Jamie Gross weighed right around 180. Ricky Brewer, Breathitt's o-line coach and who I played highschool football with told me right out of his own mouth that they didn't have brute strength, But his line was good technique technichians.
Rocky Wrote:And do not teach a 7 yr old to Chop Block, to young,someone can get hurt easy.

Yea Really
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:this kid seems to just bull-rush every time, and when I taught my son to use angles and be quicker off the ball, he did better and it was even.

As a bull rush tackle, or fat d-linemen, which ever you prefer, tell your son to just shoot his hands into the stomache of him. Its legal, won't really hurt him, but it will stop him.
when i played all i was tought on defence was teh 4- point stance and it worked very good for me...as far as teaching him more... the kid is 7 yrs. old and is handling kids of this size... he should b very good in the years to come...tell him to use the sides of the body and the shoulders... this will help him throw the kids offbalance and works very good against larger players
:thumpsup: if he is playing d-line i know some ver illegal ways to get th o lineman to not want to block you.....learned them in college from former and current pro players