Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Most Sweet 16 wins by Region during last 20 years (updated)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1- 7th Region. 43 Sweet 16 wins. 4 championships.
2- 11th Region. 40 Sweet 16 wins. 4 championships.
3- 10th Region. 24 Sweet 16 wins. 2 championships.
4- 4th Region. 21 Sweet 16 wins. 1 championship.
4- 9th Region. 21 Sweet 16 wins. 2 championships.
6- 8th Region. 20 Sweet 16 wins. 1 championship.
7- 6th Region. 18 Sweet 16 wins. 0 championships.
7- 15th Region. 18 Sweet 16 wins. 2 championships
9- 3rd Region. 14 Sweet 16 wins. 1 championship.
9- 16th Region. 14 Sweet 16 wins. 0 championships.
9- 5th Region. 14 Sweet 16 wins. 1 championship.
9- 1st Region. 14 Sweet 16 wins. 0 championships.
9- 2nd Region. 14 Sweet 16 wins. 0 championships.
14- 12th Region. 12 Sweet 16 wins. 1 championship.
15- 13th Region. 8 Sweet 16 wins. 0 championships.
16- 14th Region. 5 Sweet 16 wins. 0 championships
glad i saw this!
IntheZone Wrote:glad i saw this!
The thing about Scott County is they had most of the 11th region and 8th region sweet 16 wins during the last 20 years. The Cardinals have won 25 Sweet 16 games during this time frame. Amazing.
All these transfers are having a big impact on the 14th's success at Rupp. Confusednicker: So pitiful.
You remove the '96 Paintsville and Ashland teams from the finals and the 15th and 16th head to the bottom with the rest of the mountains. Eastern KY will continue to struggle to compete at the state level. This just proves it. Barring a special occasion like the Shelby Valley/ Elliott Co run a few years ago the large schools (4A football numbers and above) are going to win the majority of the games.
It seems to bother some people really bad that the 15, and 16 region. Has a lot more wins than some other regions.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:You remove the '96 Paintsville and Ashland teams from the finals and the 15th and 16th head to the bottom with the rest of the mountains. Eastern KY will continue to struggle to compete at the state level. This just proves it. Barring a special occasion like the Shelby Valley/ Elliott Co run a few years ago the large schools (4A football numbers and above) are going to win the majority of the games.

Why should we remove those wins? They won the games. Period. Should we remove Scott County, Cov Cath, Trinity and Bowling Green's wins this year?
basketball101 Wrote:It seems to bother some people really bad that the 15, and 16 region. Has a lot more wins than some other regions.

I agree. I don't think people think the 15th region should have an equal amount of Sweet 16 wins as the 6th, but these numbers don't lie.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:You remove the '96 Paintsville and Ashland teams from the finals and the 15th and 16th head to the bottom with the rest of the mountains. Eastern KY will continue to struggle to compete at the state level. This just proves it. Barring a special occasion like the Shelby Valley/ Elliott Co run a few years ago the large schools (4A football numbers and above) are going to win the majority of the games.

But that's what makes the "Sweet 16" so special. When teams like the 1996 Paintsville team win it really becomes a special moment - not only for Eastern Kentucky but the entire state!
rojas Wrote:Why should we remove those wins? They won the games. Period. Should we remove Scott County, Cov Cath, Trinity and Bowling Green's wins this year?

Not at all. They earned their wins like any other. I used that example because the Championship game involved both the 15th and 16th and it was nearly 20 years ago. The landscape in my opinion has changed dramatically since then. It does make it special when a Paintsville or Shelby Valley or an Elliott Co make runs like they did. But it does not change the fact that the regions with the larger schools in the tourney are winning most of the games and going deeper in the tourney.