Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Covington Catholic 59, Scott County 51 (OT)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
CovCath wins state championship. Great.
Nice
Way to go CovCath!!! Bringing NKY it's 3rd state championship

great season for Scott County, but of all the losses Billy Hicks had, this one has to hurt the most. they gave this one away
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAH BUDDY!

I was nervous at the end but CCH made the plays when they needed to!

UNREAL!

Colonel Crazies are the best student section in the world and it's exciting to see the title brought back to CCH!
toussaints Wrote:Way to go CovCath!!! Bringing NKY it's 3rd state championship

great season for Scott County, but of all the losses Billy Hicks had, this one has to hurt the most. they gave this one away

Good win for the Colonels. They deserve it.
Congrats to CovCath from Williamsburg nation and 64SUR. :Cheerlead
Well done CCH and congrats on the state championship. Thumbs up on a great game, title run, and representing the 9th region as well as you and the crazies did!!!

:rockon:
toussaints Wrote:Way to go CovCath!!! Bringing NKY it's 3rd state championship

His quotes were. He hurt, not so much for himself. He said "I have been here lots of times before. But, I love these kids, and when they hurt I hurt.
It's painful as a coach to see your team fall down like that when there's nothing you can do. It was like someone put a cap on the rim, Gilbert couldn't get anything, including free throws to go through.

On the other hand, it's awesome seeing your team rise up and take control of a game late like CovCath did. No quit in that team what so ever.
^ I would agree.
I suspect that there are few sporting events that can rival the Sweet Sixteen. The emotions run high in both directions. CovCath is euphoric. The celebration in our neck of the woods should be historic. The other Ninth Region schools should be proud of themselves, of CovCath, and of NCC. After all, NCC won the All A championship- for the second year in a row. Winning both is a real accomplishment for the region. On the other hand, there is sadness in Scott County to have come so close.

I'll see you at the celebration.
So Clay County was Cov Caths biggest competition....
congrats to CC and the sixth man.
best pep section ever. Wow those guys rock.
Gilbert come into the game avg. 30 pts but just couldnt get anything to drop. I feel bad for him and the other seniors.
Question: If the Mr. Basketball award was like the past, would Nick Ruthsatz or Trent Gilbert been the winner over Snider whose team didnt make the Sweet 16.
Congratulations to Cov Cath on a well deserved win. You never gave up and fought till the trophy was in your hands! You also have the best pep section I have seen and feel you could rival many college pep sections! Best wishes from the Bulldog Nation!
Congrats to Cov. Catholic...

Congrats to Cov. Catholic's pep section, you guys were awesome!
1-3-1-press Wrote:Question: If the Mr. Basketball award was like the past, would Nick Ruthsatz or Trent Gilbert been the winner over Snider whose team didnt make the Sweet 16.

interesting question, but IMO no

Snider was just too good to lose it because his team didn't win region.
Ruthsatz is the most underrated player in the state. Gets no respect, and for what reason? I'm not saying he's Wildcat material but a lot of posters have dismissed him because of his height, well I'd take him over Brandon Stockton any day. 2014 Wildcat signee Tyler Ulis is listed at 5'8. Apparently the brain trust at Ky don't think he's a defensive liability. Ruthsatz does exactly what a point is suppose to, handle the ball, run the offense and get everyone else involved. Add MVP to the list now!
Congrats to Cov Cath.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:So Clay County was Cov Caths biggest competition....

Clay County partisans can certainly make that argument. One beauty of this tournament is that, if it were replayed this week, we would likely get a different outcome. Of course, I am glad it won't be replayed. Nonetheless, Clay County can have great pride in its team and the accomplishments of that team. Clay County, Fleming County, Johnson Central, Campbell County, McCracken County, and others symbolize what is great about high school basketball in the Commonwealth.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I suspect that there are few sporting events that can rival the Sweet Sixteen. The emotions run high in both directions. CovCath is euphoric. The celebration in our neck of the woods should be historic. The other Ninth Region schools should be proud of themselves, of CovCath, and of NCC. After all, NCC won the All A championship- for the second year in a row. Winning both is a real accomplishment for the region. On the other hand, there is sadness in Scott County to have come so close.

I'll see you at the celebration.

Uh, would that be McKell?.....Flatwoods?........ Cannonsburg?.......Rush?......Wurtland?......Summitt?....Catlettsburg?....Lockwood Estates?

Central Park?

:biggrin:
1-3-1-press Wrote:Question: If the Mr. Basketball award was like the past, would Nick Ruthsatz or Trent Gilbert been the winner over Snider whose team didnt make the Sweet 16.

Gilbert without question. JMO but I think the KHSAA made a mistake by choosing the Mr. Basketball winner prior to the tournament, just in hopes of keeping a sponsor for the TIRED Kentucky/Indiana game and boost ticket sales. Dominique Hawkins doesn't win the award last season if not for his play at the Sweet 16. Not saying Snider doesn't deserve it, but it sure would've made things more interesting seeing Gilbert go for the honor this week with his play on the big stage, then let voters decide.
As a Clay County fan knowing we were there until the last buzzer, I can say congratulations to Covington Catholic. After our first round game I didn't know if Cov Cath wasn't that good or if we finally played our best game, the latter being true. The Tigers had their best performance of the year and played like one of the top 1-2 teams in the mountains, the Colonials are very deserving of that trophy. This was one of the most balanced tournaments. Some great talent, teams, coaches, and fan bases, as well as the little guys vs. the big guys, this is why our state tournament is unmatched.
Bob Seger Wrote:Uh, would that be McKell?.....Flatwoods?........ Cannonsburg?.......Rush?......Wurtland?......Summitt?....Catlettsburg?....Lockwood Estates?

Central Park?

:biggrin:

How long is a neck, Bob, and can the "woods" consist of loyalty to the private schools? I suspect the neck is long and the tie to the privates transcends geography for most so inclined.:1:
Great game between Covington Catholic and Toyota Tech.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:How long is a neck, Bob, and can the "woods" consist of loyalty to the private schools? I suspect the neck is long and the tie to the privates transcends geography for most so inclined.:1:

Right on brother Harrison, right on!!!...Glad you can take a little razzing.......Those other folks in your (ah hum, neck of the woods) have a little trouble with that...lol
This was a heck of a game! Cov. Cath. just had the will to win and kept hanging around after Scott County got up on them in the 2nd quarter. Ruthsatz had a great game. In the 4th and OT he had that look in his eye like he would not be denied a win! Have to give a hats off to Tony Martini and Hines Jones of SC for putting their team on their back today. I hated seeing Tony Martini collapse on the floor after the game. He has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. He left his heart and soul on the floor yesterday! Classy move by the assistant coach to go and pick him up.

Trent Gilbert was phenomenal all year long and unfortunately for him had his worst game of the year at the wrong time. He has been so much fun to watch this season. If you would have told me he misses two front-ends of the bonus to possibly seal the game, I would have called you crazy. Wherever he ends up, they will love him I'm sure. Great scorer and always been a competitor when I've seen him play.

Cov. Cath. earned this one! Congrats from Lexington.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:So Clay County was Cov Caths biggest competition....

I wasn't aware that game went to overtime?