Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who is the very best in 2A this season?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Louisville Western, Mercer co.,Russell,Belfry Who's the best of the best?
I got to go with Western. 500 yards rushing a game with 2 backs over the 1000 yard mark this season. Way too much speed and talent. Senior dominated. Preston upends Mercer and wins it all.
You could make an argument for any of these fine teams. I will have to be a homer and go with Russell till someone knocks them off.
Mercer Co is IMO they've defeated 3A power house Boyle Co and other very good teams!
Boyle is way down this season and Mercer beat them 27-14. Pulaski sw beat Boyle 28-7 not to mention Henry Clay with the 56-13 Blowout of Boyle. Boyle is down and does not honestly justify how good Mercer is.
Boyle is 3a, Mercer is 5a by the reclass next season.
I'll have to go with Belfry ,our pirates are pretty good.Theres alot of good teams this year,Russell ,Sheldon clark , Middlesboro. I think any of these teams could make a run , but i still believe it will be between Russell & Belfry
KLH Wrote:I'll have to go with Belfry ,our pirates are pretty good.Theres alot of good teams this year,Russell ,Sheldon clark , Middlesboro. I think any of these teams could make a run , but i still believe it will be between Russell & Belfry

I'll have to agree with you on that. Russell and Belfry have proven themselves for the past several years. Mercer and Middlesboro may be great but we'll just have to see.
I'll take Mercer County for the time being.
I'm not sold on Merger Co yet. They have yet to face a good running team. The kind of team that will run it right down your throat. The strength of their defense is their speed in the secondary. Russell, Belfry or Western are not a good matchup for the Titans.
Russell is the team to beat. However, they could lose as there are some very good teams.
Until Merger county gets to the state championship and beats Russell (which wont happen) Russell will be my pick. Merger county is a good team but i just dont think they can handle the smash-mouth style of offense Russell likes to run. And honestly i will be suprised to even see Merger at state because i can see them getting knocked out in the playoffs by a good Western team.
Since 2002 the teams to beat Russell has won STATE...Breathitt and twice to Belfry,should have won those,wont get into that.Look for a Russell Belfry/Belfry Russell rematch winner wins STATE...Mercer gets knocked off in the playoffs,they have put up big numbers but not against a powerhouse like Russell or Belfry...:devilflam vsTongueirateSho round 4 in the 2000's
Western Speed Kills!!
Speed kills--- YEA we know but if you cant start your car or put in gear that makes it kind of useless doesn't it???
I go with Belfry or Russell. Both great smash mouth football teams.
Now Middlesboro is like Florida ! You never know when they're gonna score !
Allthough Mercer is doing very well this season and dominating all that they play. They havn't proven themselves like Russell and Belfry. So I am going to have to go with the defending state champs.
Russell and Belfry are as well coached as any teams in the state. Haywood, Maglone are what I consider to be 2 of the very best coaches in the state any class.
I hate to sound like a copycat but like everyone else has said and go with Russell until they get beat, then I would have to go with Belfry.
I think Western deserves a lil' more credit here. I'm all about Eastern Ky. football too but Western simply has the best backfield in AA football. Nobody else has speed like that.