Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan County 4 Corbin 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from HC
Any details? Who pitched for HC? For Corbin?
Combs and Goins for Corbin
Jenkins, Sizemore and Cornett for HC
Very good early season ballgame, HC gets 2 runs B7 to get the win. A couple of clutch hits by Doss and Bailey loaded the bases with 1 out in the 7th, then a wild pitch and an e5 later the Black Bears get the nice comeback win. HC plays SL and NL back to back on Fri and Sat next.
I read the article in the newspaper. I sometimes question when teams intentionally walk a guy to load the bases in order to have a double play opportunity.

In high school, it really has to be pretty tailor made to turn two defensively.

On the offensive side, when your down one and the bases are loaded, that runner on third is ready to explode on downward contact because he knows he has to advance.

I'm betting if the bases weren't loaded, Bailey may not have had a great jump towards home. He would have had to see the ball past the third baseman before advancing. Additionally, instead of having to make a rushed throw home, the third baseman could have looked him back to the bag and made a throw to first.

I'm not saying Corbin should have won. I'm just saying walking a batter intentionally to load the bases isn't always the right idea. Now if it is the 3rd of 4th batter in the lineup, put him on. Maybe that was the case anyway.

Good win for HC.
Corbin brought an outfielder in for an extra infielder. The ball hit to third was a slow chopper that the third baseman essentially had to make a perfect play to get him. Even if there had been 2 outs, it would have been difficult to get that force anywhere.
What I was saying was that if there was only 1 out, then the runner at 3rd wouldn't have automatically taken off had the bases not been loaded. Not taking anything away from the win, just talking baseball strategy.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:I read the article in the newspaper. I sometimes question when teams intentionally walk a guy to load the bases in order to have a double play opportunity.

In high school, it really has to be pretty tailor made to turn two defensively.

On the offensive side, when your down one and the bases are loaded, that runner on third is ready to explode on downward contact because he knows he has to advance.

I'm betting if the bases weren't loaded, Bailey may not have had a great jump towards home. He would have had to see the ball past the third baseman before advancing. Additionally, instead of having to make a rushed throw home, the third baseman could have looked him back to the bag and made a throw to first.

I'm not saying Corbin should have won. I'm just saying walking a batter intentionally to load the bases isn't always the right idea. Now if it is the 3rd of 4th batter in the lineup, put him on. Maybe that was the case anyway.

Good win for HC.
It's pretty obvious it kills you that we got a good win last night, the bottom line in every big game is that one team makes the plays to win and one team doesnt get it done. When you are not able to make the plays you dont win and I truly believe that Corbin's coach would probably say that they just didnt make the plays needed to win the game and HC did. It seems like every time Mboro loses and makes a few mistakes, you guys and your coach want to say that the other team didnt beat you, but you gave the game away, which is bush league NONSENE.........Sorry we ruined your night last night, hope you didnt fall ill when you heard we got the win. Lol