Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Auburn hires Bruce Pearl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bruce Pearl will be the next coach of the Auburn Tigers, Pearl and the school confirmed Tuesday.

"I'm humbled and blessed to be back in the game that I love," Pearl told the school's website. "I don't know how long it will take, but it's time to rebuild the Auburn basketball program and bring it to a level of excellence so many of the other teams on campus enjoy."

Andrew Synowiez/USA TODAY
Bruce Pearl has a 231-99 record at the Division I level in 10 seasons at Milwaukee and Tennessee.

Pearl, 54, was fired in 2011 after taking Tennessee to the NCAA tournament in each of his six seasons. He has worked for ESPN as an analyst the past two years.

He was fired for lying to the NCAA in March 2011 in regards to the recruitment of Aaron Craft (at the time a junior in high school who ended up at Ohio State) and given a three-year show cause by the NCAA. The show-cause expires in August and will not allow him to have contact with potential recruits this summer. Pearl, however, will be allowed to evaluate recruits in the all-important July recruiting period.

Auburn fired Tony Barbee last week after the Tigers finished 14-16 and 6-12 in the SEC. The former coach at UTEP was 49-75 in four seasons at Auburn.

"From the moment I met Coach Pearl and heard his vision for our basketball program, it was clear he's the right man at the right time for Auburn," athletic director Jay Jacobs told the school's website. "Coach Pearl is a proven winner who will bring energy and excitement to our program. We have raised the bar for Auburn basketball, and I could not be more excited for our student-athletes and our future under Coach Pearl's leadership. I know he agrees with me -- it's time to win."

Pearl spent four seasons at Milwaukee and took the program to two NCAA tournaments -- including a Sweet 16 appearance in 2005. He was hired at Tennessee in 2005 and was 145-61 in six seasons with the Vols
Good hire for Auburn. Not much for them to lose.
I would imagine that this was a no-brainer for them.

Almost like Petrino and WKU.
^^ Agreed. Good hire for Auburn, only thing they can do is improve.
Glad to have Pearl back in the SEC. He's always fun to watch if nothing else. He will make them competitive.
Great Hire!
Really great hire.
It might be the first hire, but mark it down, this will be the best hire of the year.

I wouldn't mind to have Pearl after Cal is gone. Love the guy.
Auburn will be a factor in the SEC in about two to three years. War Eagle fans need to be patient and give him time.
Good hire by Auburn. I really like Pearl.
Great hire . Proven winner.
I like Bruce. He's a great coach and will help boost the SEC. And is good for UK. Win-Win for everyone. Just no BBQ anymore.