Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Butler 62 Ashland 50
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
final
valiant effort by the Kittens

Great season Ashland:Thumbs:
Nice season lady kittens
Great season Ashland from Williamsburg nation and 64SUR :Cheerlead
Great year for Ashland very proud of you girls.
Ashland had a great run in the state tourney losing to eventual state champ Butler by 12 in the Final Four. Unfortunately, Shelby Gransbery who scored 24 points in the 2nd round game against Danville, suffered a severely sprained ankle and was unable to compete in the game against Butler. Ashland players showed a lot of grit by competing against Butler essentially using only 5 players. Next season looks bright for the Kittens who lose only 1 starter.
There were several better teams that did not reach the semifinals- like Newport Central Catholic and Lexington Lafayette. The luck of the draw always plays a major role in these tournaments that are not seeded. It helped Ashland this year. Nonetheless, Ashland overachieved and should be congratulated. I believe this is the best performance by a 16th Region team since Rose Hill Christian School lost to an ultra strong Lexington Catholic in the championship game a few years back.
You would be wrong. Rowan County went to the Final Four in 2010.
Memo Luna Wrote:There were several better teams that did not reach the semifinals- like Newport Central Catholic and Lexington Lafayette. The luck of the draw always plays a major role in these tournaments that are not seeded. It helped Ashland this year. Nonetheless, Ashland overachieved and should be congratulated. I believe this is the best performance by a 16th Region team since Rose Hill Christian School lost to an ultra strong Lexington Catholic in the championship game a few years back.

The draw always plays a role in tourneys, but Ashland also beat a top 5 Henderson County team that gave them the right to play Danville (who some believed to be a "weaker" state opponent). Ashland also beat Lafayette on their home floor last year (which many considered an upset), so Ashland defeating a team like Lafayette this year wouldn't be unthinkable. Again, IMO a healthy Ashland could have given Butler a run for its money. Again, JMO.....
Skip Pass Wrote:The draw always plays a role in tourneys, but Ashland also beat a top 5 Henderson County team that gave them the right to play Danville (who some believed to be a "weaker" state opponent). Ashland also beat Lafayette on their home floor last year (which many considered an upset), so Ashland defeating a team like Lafayette this year wouldn't be unthinkable. Again, IMO a healthy Ashland could have given Butler a run for its money. Again, JMO.....

That is the great thing about basketball. It allows partisans to spin for their favorites. You have done a masterful job. Your opinion is just as good as anyone else's opinion. Of course, opinions, particularly those from fans of a losing team, are rarely unbiased and hedge the truth just a bit. I suspect that NCC, which lost to Butler by two points, has the right to the upper hand in spin. I believe they beat Ashland by 15 on a neutral floor this season. But, Butler won and everyone else can spin.
HD28 Wrote:You would be wrong. Rowan County went to the Final Four in 2010.

You are correct. I should have stated that Rose Hill was the last school in the region to go further.
Memo Luna Wrote:That is the great thing about basketball. It allows partisans to spin for their favorites. You have done a masterful job. Your opinion is just as good as anyone else's opinion. Of course, opinions, particularly those from fans of a losing team, are rarely unbiased and hedge the truth just a bit. I suspect that NCC, which lost to Butler by two points, has the right to the upper hand in spin. I believe they beat Ashland by 15 on a neutral floor this season. But, Butler won and everyone else can spin.

No such thing as an unbiased opinion, all opinions are biased to some extent, even if the speaker doesn't admit it. Butler is very deserving of the championship and they deserve the #1 ranking. I'm not concerned about "spin". All 4 deserved their final 4 spot. When healthy, any of the four could have won on any given night. Injuries and other obstacles always play a role in victories and defeats...but that is just an aspect of sports.
Skip Pass Wrote:No such thing as an unbiased opinion, all opinions are biased to some extent, even if the speaker doesn't admit it. Butler is very deserving of the championship and they deserve the #1 ranking. I'm not concerned about "spin". All 4 deserved their final 4 spot. When healthy, any of the four could have won on any given night. Injuries and other obstacles always play a role in victories and defeats...but that is just an aspect of sports.

I do not disagree. However, it would be refreshing for partisans of a losing team to just say that they were beaten by a better team. Period. No excuses. Sadly, most of them go into the "woulda, coulda, shoulda, what if, if only" mode listing excuses for a loss. My posts are aimed at losers in general and not Ashland in particular. You, as an Ashland partisan just happen to be the last one to use the excuse approach.

Even in your rebuttal you still feel the need to bring up "injuries and other obstacles". Excuses. Your girls lost to a better team. And, no, any of the final four could not have won. Either Butler or Elizabethtown could have won.
NCC, clearly superior to your team, lost to Butler by two points but I don't see NCC people making excuses. Sometimes you just lose to a better team. Ashland and a lot of others need to realize that.
How did Danville blow out NCC. That score really surptises me.
Luther Rackley Wrote:How did Danville blow out NCC. That score really surptises me.

That is a good question, Luther. That game, in the semifinals of the Class A, "surptised" me, too. For whatever reason, Danville was better on that day. It was certainly deemed a major upset. However, I am sure that the outcome was not for the same reason that NCC blew out Ashland in December.
Memo Luna Wrote:I do not disagree. However, it would be refreshing for partisans of a losing team to just say that they were beaten by a better team. Period. No excuses. Sadly, most of them go into the "woulda, coulda, shoulda, what if, if only" mode listing excuses for a loss. My posts are aimed at losers in general and not Ashland in particular. You, as an Ashland partisan just happen to be the last one to use the excuse approach.

Even in your rebuttal you still feel the need to bring up "injuries and other obstacles". Excuses. Your girls lost to a better team. And, no, any of the final four could not have won. Either Butler or Elizabethtown could have won.
NCC, clearly superior to your team, lost to Butler by two points but I don't see NCC people making excuses. Sometimes you just lose to a better team. Ashland and a lot of others need to realize that.

If not all of the 4 final 4 teams didn't have a chance to win...why play the games? As pointed out in the other post Danville beat NCC by double digits earlier in the year. How then does Ashland beat Danville by 9. Time to "agree to disagree" on this one...
Skip Pass Wrote:If not all of the 4 final 4 teams didn't have a chance to win...why play the games? As pointed out in the other post Danville beat NCC by double digits earlier in the year. How then does Ashland beat Danville by 9. Time to "agree to disagree" on this one...

For some reason, Skip, you failed to mention that NCC cleaned Ashland by fifteen on a neutral floor. Wonder why you missed that one? High school basketball, girls in particular, can be strange. NCC beats Ashland by 15. Danville beats NCC by 16. Ashland beats Danville by 9. All three games on neutral floors. Maybe that is why it is interesting. Nonetheless, I believe the vast majority of informed fans would rate NCC as the best team of the three. But, as a 9th Region fan, that is just my opinion.