Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Most Sweet 16 coaching wins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The two coaches who have won more Sweet 16 games than any coaches in history are both in the 2014 Sweet 16.

23 Billy Hicks, Corbin & Scott Co. (in 2014 tournament)
20 Dale Mabrey, Pleasure Ridge Park (in 2014 tournament)
19 Earle Jones, Kavanaugh & Maysville
18 Russell Williamson, Inez
17 Ralph Carlisle, Madison & Lafayette
16 Neal Arnston, Manual
16 Bobby Keith, Clay Co.
14 Letcher Norton, George Rogers Clark
14 Paul Jenkins, Ashland Blazer & Male
14 BobbyWatson, Owensboro

Renner at Ballard has to be close to cracking this list. Are any other coaches close?
Tim Riley of Warren Central should have double digit wins but I could be mistaken.

Some guys that could be close to double digits if not already: Booher at Holmes, Feldhaus at Madison Central, Bill Mike Runyon at Paintsville, Steve Wright at Southwestern, and Szabo at Trinity.

These are just current guys, besides Riley, that could be close to that list.
MidnightRider Wrote:Tim Riley of Warren Central should have double digit wins but I could be mistaken.

Some guys that could be close to double digits if not already: Booher at Holmes, Feldhaus at Madison Central, Bill Mike Runyon at Paintsville, Steve Wright at Southwestern, and Szabo at Trinity.

Bill Mike Runyon has 13 wins
(1985 - 1; 1987 - 2; 1996 - 4; 1997 - 2; 1998 - 3; 2008 - 1)
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Bill Mike Runyon has 13 wins
(1985 - 1; 1987 - 2; 1996 - 4; 1997 - 2; 1998 - 3; 2008 - 1)

Thanks JR. I hope Runyon gets a chance to coach again in the Sweet 16 some day.
MidnightRider Wrote:Tim Riley of Warren Central should have double digit wins but I could be mistaken.

I'm not sure that Szabo has more than the 4 wins he had in 2012 when Trinity won it. I think Wright has about 10 wins, 8 at South Laurel and a couple at Southwestern. I'm not sure how close Feldhaus and Booher are to cracking this list.
rojas Wrote:I'm not sure that Szabo has more than the 4 wins he had in 2012 when Trinity won it. I think Wright has about 10 wins, 8 at South Laurel and a couple at Southwestern. I'm not sure how close Feldhaus and Booher are to cracking this list.

Actually, Szabo has 5 wins. His Trinity team won a game in 2004.

Coach Riley ended up with 12.
I sure thought Coach Keith would have had more. With those powerhouses of the 80's and early 90's. Its still mind boggling to me that Clay only won 1 State Title. That 92 team was ranked in the top 10 in the country.
^ Clay County dominated the 13th Region but all through the 70 and until the mid to late 80s they were one and done almost every year at the Sweet 16.

I can only remember Feldhaus with 6 wins in the Sweet 16. I know he had one win with M. Estill in 99 and another in 06 and of course 4 last year.
BrokenArrow Wrote:I sure thought Coach Keith would have had more. With those powerhouses of the 80's and early 90's. Its still mind boggling to me that Clay only won 1 State Title. That 92 team was ranked in the top 10 in the country.

From 1961 to 1983 Clay County had a record of 1-9 at the Sweet 16. The 13th Region had a Sweet 16 record of 3-23 during this time period. This was the first dark ages of the 13th Region.
When will you start mailing your book out? I ordered one and can't wait to see it!!
Thanks Baseball. I actually include a couple Laurel Co Sports Trivia items in our Local Laurel Co Tourism Newsletter. Last months Items were:

* John Wooden’s first NCAA national championship team at UCLA had a key player from Laurel County. Doug McIntosh of Lily High School actually played on two national championship teams at UCLA.
* Jim Storm, also of Lily High School, holds the Kentucky high school record for strikeouts in a game. Storm struck out 27 batters in an 11-inning 4-3 loss to Pine Knot High School.
* The Graham Cracker was invented in Laurel County by Dr. CC Graham, the on staff physician at the Sublimity Springs Resort during the 1860s. Graham made the crackers out of whole-wheat flour as part of a health food diet.
BrokenArrow Wrote:I sure thought Coach Keith would have had more. With those powerhouses of the 80's and early 90's. Its still mind boggling to me that Clay only won 1 State Title. That 92 team was ranked in the top 10 in the country.

I agree, thought for sure Keith would have been over 20. I say the same thing every time I look at our banners, especially the 92 team. Clay County completely dominated the mountains but it goes to show the bigger city teams are so hard to beat. Would love to know the numbers on championships won outside of Lexington and Louisville (and maybe a Bowling Green or Greater Cincinnati areas).
UKCC Wrote:I agree, thought for sure Keith would have been over 20. I say the same thing every time I look at our banners, especially the 92 team. Clay County completely dominated the mountains but it goes to show the bigger city teams are so hard to beat. Would love to know the numbers on championships won outside of Lexington and Louisville (and maybe a Bowling Green or Greater Cincinnati areas).

I think that Greater Cincinnati area only has a couple state championships in history. I think one each at Simon Kenton and Holmes are about it.
Wonder what coaches have the most wins in A regional championship an the least wins in the sweet sixteen. Any ideas?
rojas Wrote:I think that Greater Cincinnati area only has a couple state championships in history. I think one each at Simon Kenton and Holmes are about it.

Makes sense. Keep up the good work.
UKCC Wrote:I agree, thought for sure Keith would have been over 20. I say the same thing every time I look at our banners, especially the 92 team. Clay County completely dominated the mountains but it goes to show the bigger city teams are so hard to beat. Would love to know the numbers on championships won outside of Lexington and Louisville (and maybe a Bowling Green or Greater Cincinnati areas).

harvey updike Wrote:Wonder what coaches have the most wins in A regional championship an the least wins in the sweet sixteen. Any ideas?

Not a clue on this one.
Al Holland has won quite a few regional championships but not a lot of games in the state tournament. I'd say he'd be first in that category in eastern Kentucky.
I was just noting current coaches that have more than 3-4 wins in Rupp.
Not winning at Rupp is a good problem to have, because that means ur at rupp. Alot of coaches would take just going to rupp
By my count Renner at Ballard has 17 Sweet 16 wins, which would put him tied for 5th on the all time Sweet 16 wins list. The KHSAA record book needs a lot of work.
When you think about it a lot of very good coaches never get to go to the Sweet 16 and a lot of them get to go and never when many games. To have 20+ wins is really impressive! Good to see someone from the mountains with the record!