Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2014 Sweet 16
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Wednesday, March 19th
12:00 PM - South Oldham vs. Hopkinsville
1:30 PM - Trinity vs. Owensboro
6:30 PM - Scott County vs. Fleming County
8:00 PM - Campbell County vs. Johnson Central

Thursday, March 20th
12:00 PM - McCracken County vs. Wayne County
1:30 PM - Knott County Central vs. Bowling Green
6:30 PM - Bardstown vs. Pleasure Ridge Park
8:00 PM - Clay County vs. Covington Catholic

Quarterfinals: Friday, March 21st, 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM
Semifinals: Saturday, March 22nd at 6:30 PM and 8:00 PM
Championship: Sunday, March 23rd at 2:00 PM
After all the upsets tonight, anything can happen

Scott County is the favorite. Covington Catholic, Trinity, Hopkinsville, and PRP aren't far behind.
I've liked Hoptown all year and most definitely now with the Bruins out of the picture. Would not be surprised to see Knott Co Central make a run toward Sunday. They have quite possibly the best player in the tourny and probably the best tandem.
I'm putting Knott in the finals with Scott. Why not? Knott only lost by 3 to PRP. Anything can happen!!
Wednesday
12:00 PM - South Oldham 49 vs. Hopkinsville 58
1:30 PM - Trinity 64 vs. Owensboro 55
6:30 PM - Scott County 67 vs. Fleming County 50
8:00 PM - Campbell County 47 vs. Johnson Central 52
Thursday
12:00 PM - McCracken County 52 vs. Wayne County 68
1:30 PM - Knott County Central 51 vs. Bowling Green 57
6:30 PM - Bardstown 46 vs. Pleasure Ridge Park 55
8:00 PM - Clay County 51 vs. Covington Catholic 63

These are my first round predictions.
Hoptown 72 South Oldham 52
Trinity 65 Ownesboro 54
Scott Co 74 Fleming Co 60
Campbell Co 62 Johnson Central 60
Wayne Co 71 McCracken 56
Bowling Green 67 Knott 64 OT
PRP 64 Bardstown 59
Cov.Catholic 66 Clay Co 49.

Hoptown 57 Trinity 55
Scott Co 73 Campbell Co 55
Bowling Green 56 Wayne Co 52
Cov Catholic 67 PRP 62

Hoptown 73 Scott Co 70
Cov Catholic 64 Bowling Green 57

Cov Catholic 66 Hoptown 63.
Wednesday
12:00 PM - South Oldham 49 vs. Hopkinsville 58
1:30 PM - Trinity 64 vs. Owensboro 55
6:30 PM - Scott County 67 vs. Fleming County 50
8:00 PM - Campbell County 47 vs. Johnson Central 52
Thursday
12:00 PM - McCracken County 52 vs. Wayne County 68
1:30 PM - Knott County Central 51 vs. Bowling Green 57
6:30 PM - Bardstown 46 vs. Pleasure Ridge Park 55
8:00 PM - Clay County 51 vs. Covington Catholic 63
Second Round-
Hopkinsville 61 vs Trinity 64
Scott County 67 vs Johnson Central 58
Wayne County 62 vs Bowling Green 60
PRP 57 vs Cov Cath 53
Semis
Trinity 54 vs Scott County 56
Wayne County 61 vs PRP 67
Championship
Scott County 55 vs PRP 53
It should be a good state tourney this year.
Watch out for Wayne County. They're young, but they have the "dog" in them.
South Oldham vs. Hopkinsville
Trinity vs. Owensboro
Scott County vs. Fleming County
Campbell County vs. Johnson Central

McCracken County vs. Wayne County
Knott County Central vs. Bowling Green - Best game of the first round
Bardstown vs. Pleasure Ridge Park
Clay County vs. Covington Catholic
Some interesting notes:

Bowling Green and Scott County are trying to become 1st public school to win football and basketball state titles in the same season.

Campbell County coach Aric Russell won his 2nd regional title in the same county, but different region. (2010 Newport – 9th region)

Covington Catholic and Trinity, the tournament's only Catholic schools, could face each other in the championship game on a Sunday.

Fleming County is in the 16th region, 61st district

Hopkinsville is undefeated against Kentucky teams

Johnson Central and Owensboro were both .500 in December

Knott County Central's head coach is B.B. King, how is that not interesting

McCracken County won the regional championship in program's 1st season

This is the 1st time Trinity's basketball team won the region when the football team didn't.

Wayne County is 12 points away from being undefeated in football (3) and basketball (9) in the same season.
First round picks

Hopkinsville
trinity
Scott co
Johnson central
Wayne co
Knott county central
PRP
Clay county ( my upset pick )
Hopkinsville
Trinity
Scott co
Johnson Cent
Wayne co
KCC
PRP
Covington Cath

Hopkinsville
Scott Co
KCC
Covington Cath

Scott Co
Covington Cath

Scott Co
Not a big follower of HS basketball, so can someone tell me what regions are usually the strongest and which ones are usually the weakest. Also how are this 16 teams ranked going into this tourney?
toussaints Wrote:Some interesting notes:

Hopkinsville is undefeated against Kentucky teams

If Hopkinsville wins the state championship that would make them only one of two teams that have gone undefeated against Kentucky schools since Brewers in 1948. The other would be Scott County in 2007.
Not got to watch many of these teams play this year, but i do like Scott County to win this, but won't be surprised if Trinity comes out on top, they are riding a lot of momentum after beating Ballard
Sweet 16 teams that were ranked in the Litkenhous Top 20: (what they were ranked)

Trinity (2)
Scott County (3)
Hopkinsville (5)
Covington Catholic (6)
Wayne County (7)
Pleasure Ridge Park (8)
Knott Central (11)
The Scott vs Fleming game could be interesting to see. There could be an upset. Obviously Scott is very talented but Fleming has a good starting 5 who are all very athletic. It will great to see Darion Burns vs Gilbert.
T_McRoberts20 Wrote:The Scott vs Fleming game could be interesting to see. There could be an upset. Obviously Scott is very talented but Fleming has a good starting 5 who are all very athletic. It will great to see Darion Burns vs Gilbert.

I have watched Scott Co all year. In my mind, other than Gilbert, they are the least talented Scott Co team of the last 20 years. Other than Long, they don't have much size either. They also don't have a lot of depth. What they do have is a kid that rebounds like crazy (Martini) and they play extremely hard and have a great coach. I like this team. Blue collar.
T_McRoberts20 Wrote:The Scott vs Fleming game could be interesting to see. There could be an upset. Obviously Scott is very talented but Fleming has a good starting 5 who are all very athletic. It will great to see Darion Burns vs Gilbert.

Another fun little fact that means absolutely nothing is that this will be the 11th team Billy Hicks has taken to the Sweet 16. Hicks' teams are 10-0 in first round games. Does this mean the law of averages will catch up with him or will his first round mojo continue?

Another fact is that Hicks' teams have won more Sweet 16 games (23) than any coach in Kentucky high school history. Dale Mabry of PRP is second with 20. Both are in this year's tournament again.
Fleming County also has 2 McDonalds All American nominees in Steward and Burns. Should be a great game! Good luck to both teams
sstack Wrote:Not a big follower of HS basketball, so can someone tell me what regions are usually the strongest and which ones are usually the weakest. Also how are this 16 teams ranked going into this tourney?

The strongest regions are usually the 6th, 7th (both Greater Louisville), and the 11th (Lexington/ central KY). The 4th (Bowling Green), 9th (NKY), 10th (SE of NKY, NE of Lex), and 14th (mountains) usually produces 1-2 strong teams.

This year's tournament has several very strong teams. Trinity (7th), Scott County (11th), PRP (6th), CovCath (9th), Hopkinsville (2nd), Bowling Green (4th), Knott Central (14th), Johnson Central (15th), and Wayne County (12th)
Pulp Fiction Wrote:South Oldham vs. Hopkinsville
Trinity vs. Owensboro
Scott County vs. Fleming County
Campbell County vs. Johnson Central

McCracken County vs. Wayne County
Knott County Central vs. Bowling Green - Best game of the first round
Bardstown vs. Pleasure Ridge Park
Clay County vs. Covington Catholic

I agree with Pulp on all 8. That's scary.
THOMCAT Wrote:I agree with Pulp on all 8. That's scary.

Great minds think alike....
Hopkinsville
Trinity
Scott
Johnson Central
Wayne
Knott
PRP
Cov Cath

Trinity
Scott
Knott
Cov Cath

Scott
Cov Cath

Scott
Hoptown
T
Scott Co
Johnson Central
McCracken Co
Knott Co
PRP
Cov Cath

Hoptown
Scott Co
Knott Co
PRP

Hoptown
PRP

Hoptown
Hopkinsville
Trinity
Scott co
Johnson Cent
Wayne co
KCC
PRP
Covington Cath

Hopkinsville
Scott Co
KCC
Covington Cath

KCC
Scott Co

Scott Co
Covington Catholic is the best team in the field that playes team ball, Hopkinsville is the most atlectic tream in the field.
In my opinion the winner will come from the top half of the bracket out of Scott County, Trinity or Hoptown. You could also maybe make an argument that the potential Trinity/Hoptown match-up in the quarterfinals could be the state championship game. Obviously no disrespect to any of the other teams, but these 3 are the cream of the crop in Lexington next week.
Im calling it now.
Farmer, Beard and Sons over at Clay county upset CC
Pages: 1 2