Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Move the Regional Tourney back to the HS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Expo is nice. For concerts, tractor pulls and college ball. BUT, its killing regional tournament play. Fans are too spread out to "make some noise" for their teams. Prices are RIDICULOUS. High school ball belongs in the high school. State tournament ok, go big, but regions should go back.
Agreed ... 6 bucks to get in and it's 6.50 for a pop and popcorn
Tell your schools supers and Ad's.
There the ones hat vote on it.

Most likely it will always be at the expo. Don't have to mess with the hassle of watching there school during the tourney. Its to much of a convenience for them.
PGL Wrote:Agreed ... 6 bucks to get in and it's 6.50 for a pop and popcorn

Come on now. It would probably be 6 bucks to get in no matter where the tournament was held. Personally, I think $6 is a very reasonable price to see a regional championship.

As for the concession prices, there's a simple solution... don't buy it. I went to the game tonight with my family of 5, and didn't spend a dime at the concession stand.
True story. No reason to have the 15th anywhere else. This simulates the neutral floor feel for state.
Diogenes Wrote:True story. No reason to have the 15th anywhere else. This simulates the neutral floor feel for state.

I totally agree

The whole thing is about being neutral and getting these kids ready for state
Bring your own food is your wife's purse. Hehe
The Arena SUCKS as a basketball venue. I'd rather see it at Lynn Camp.
The Arena does SUCK for basketball games.
Warthog Wrote:Bring your own food is your wife's purse. Hehe

I guess you could do that... :biggrin:

Me, I just make sure my crew is fed and watered before we come to the game.
We are closing in on 10 years at the Expo. I think it has been a pretty good run. Great games in the nicest basketball facility in the 15th. Easily accessible for anyone attending including media, officials, fans, and players. Plenty of room for fans, no wait for tickets, concessions are multiple and well staffed.

I am a fan of keeping it at the Expo and if a similar venue is built within the region, of rotating it with that venue.
I stayed for five and didn't spend a dime but prices are outrageous
bear claw Wrote:The Arena does SUCK for basketball games.

I agree there are better venues but the arena does not suck....at least not as much as trying to park in the maze that is Harlan County High School parking. Seriously how many can you park there, 14 cars and 4 buses or 16 cars and three buses????

Easy parking, easy access, good places to eat, there is no contest. But on the bright side you don't have to worry about it for 14 more years.

Oh Yeah and there is the money thing, more fans at the arena, means more money for everyone, including the host school. Harlan made less than any other school. Great Gym, but it is out of the way and a long drive from pretty much anywhere in the region....see you in 14 years.

Was Harlan County in the region this year?
It's Harlan's turn in 2017. I would imagine they would want to have it at Harlan County.
I think the college floor and larger venue helps teams for when they go to Rupp or Diddle Arena.

Outside of the atmosphere being pretty crappy, everything else is really enjoyable to me. I enjoy watching games there, instead of being squeezed into a small gym that has zero parking.

Prices for food and drinks are high, but to me it didn't look like it stopped people from heading to the concession stands, because they where decent lines everything I come in and left the arena.
Most high school games are $5 dollars to get in. For a regional game in a very nice venue (can anyone say chairback seats everywhere?), with not a bad seat in the arena, easy parking, quick in and out access, etc., the $6 is well spent. And the concession prices are a little above high school concessions, but how many HS concession stands have Bosco sticks, the huge pretzels, etc? Usually (not always), you're lucky to get anything more than candy, a hot dog (with chili sometimes), nachos, and chips on the menu. If I'm not mistaken, the school chosen as the host school gets all the concession money? I suspect those complaining about the $6 admission fee are also the very same ones who usually buy season passes one year, and then spend the next 4 years flashing them quickly to get into games free. Y'all know who you are, I've worked enough gates myself to catch ya or people like you. My favorite is when refs come in, who are not working the tournaments, and try to flash their cards to get in free, even though it explicitly says on their cards (or used to) "Does not apply to playoff games not being worked" or something along those lines. The SCHOOLS benefit from the admission and concessions, just like they do if they host, so pony up or don't show up.

As for the crowds being spread out, I tend to agree. A solution might be for the Expo to consider blocking off sections of seating so they can drive the crowd to other sections. IT would be relatively easy to do.
Bear_Paw Wrote:The Arena SUCKS as a basketball venue. I'd rather see it at Lynn Camp.
Funny, Johnson Central and Shelby Valley fans would probably disagree with you, as they were very well represented and made plenty of noise, and gave it a great atmosphere. Your team not make it or lose out early? When Pikeville makes it, usually are well represented and make some good noise, although I have seen some schools who should sue their fans for non-support.
Region tournament should be held in expo center. Good seating and parking. Great atmosphere. gets teams ready for state tournament with big arena. Like to be comfortable and the Expo center has plenty of room and they do a great job of hosting tournament. Some jealous people want it moved back to high schools and they are stupid if they ever move it away from Expo Center. Build a big enough place in Johnson, Floyd , Magoffin and martin Counties and then it will alternate Counties, but for now leave it at the Expo Center
PHSForever Wrote:Funny, Johnson Central and Shelby Valley fans would probably disagree with you, as they were very well represented and made plenty of noise, and gave it a great atmosphere. Your team not make it or lose out early? When Pikeville makes it, usually are well represented and make some good noise, although I have seen some schools who should sue their fans for non-support.

They were probably talking about The Arena in Corbin.
If you have better turnouts from ALL the schools involved, then the atmosphere would be better both Boys and Girls. There have been some great atmospheres when SV had their best teams and the semifinal match ups were great on the boys side. I have seen a couple of instances where the girls representation has been very poor for certain individual schools, but schools like Magoffin County usually make up for that. The tourney is not going anywhere and will be at the EXPO for the foreseeable future.
The Expo is great for the kids, because it prepares them for the setting they will be placed in at the state tourny.
bucslover68 Wrote:They were probably talking about The Arena in Corbin.
Ahh, probably so. I didn't think about that place.
Glad the 14th doesn't have a arena or expo center. Still think they are some teams that has really small gyms.
Curly, spoken like a true liberal. Let's distribute money to everybody. For decades the region was held at our high schools and it worked. It gave us some our best memories and atmospheres that a fan could ask for. THERE IS NO BASKETBALL ATMOSHERE at the arena. But, the spoiled will always get their way. I hoped you watched the 14th championship last night. I miss those days. But, I know, I am a measly ole Harlan Countian that lives 100 miles from everybody and no one want to travel 119 but I will say this, you will only travel 119 every what 17 years or so. I don't want it at HC every year I just want it back in the high schools. But, I guess as long as money talks and we will redistribute money then we will just keep it at the arena and I will polish up my binoculars and watch some great basketball.
If it isn't broken it doesn't need fixed. One of the top events in Eastern Kentucky. Its the jealous people from Floyd, Martin, Magoffin and Johnson County who would like to have it back at the high schools. Not going to happen. Stay home if you don't like it???