Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shelby Valley 39, Johnson Central 30 (15th region championship)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from the Expo. Surprised there wasn't a thread on this yet.
SV tears through the 57th to go back to Diddle
Where are all the JC people tonight?
I was at this game, which was nip-and-tuck throughout.

The first quarter was just ugly to watch. Both teams only hit 2 FG's the entire period, and ended with SV up 5-4. I was paying more attention to Valley, but they were jacking up WAY too many three's.

The second quarter was only a little better offensively. JC actually took the lead at 11-8, but Valley finished the period on a 7-0 run to lead 15-11 at the break.

Both teams then exploded (relatively speaking) in the third quarter. JC went on a 5-0 run to take their last lead of the game at 23-22, but SV outscored the Eagles 8-2 the rest of the period to take a 5 point lead into the fourth. A huge play occurred near the end of the quarter as JC attempted to hold for the last shot down by three, but SV stole the ball and made a layup just before the buzzer sounded. Potentially a 4-point swing right there.

JC opened the fourth by hitting a three to close the score to 30-28, then both teams went cold again for the next few minutes. Finally, a Wildcat 3-pointer with around 3 minutes left pushed the lead back to 5. JC scored again to trim the lead to 33-30, but the Eagles would not score after that. Valley made a great pass for a layup with about 2 minutes left, then some free throws down the stretch would ice the game.
Both teams played a great game , coach Rice did a great job with his team this year he is such a wonderful person .Congrats to coach Rowe and the lady cats good luck at State go Valley.
They wont make it past the first game. 15th region is weak. Being champs of it is meaningless.
One other comment - this appeared to be a very well-officiated game. As a Valley fan, I noticed a couple calls I thought went against my team, and I'm sure the JC faithful felt the same way. But overall it was officiated well.

I don't have the final stats, but there had to be fewest fouls called for both teams that I have ever seen. I think each team only had 3 or 4 in the first half. In the second half, Valley only had I think 2 fouls overall, and JC actually didn't have ANY until about 2 minutes remained in the game. I remember thinking that they were going to have to start fouling like crazy if they wanted to put SV into the bonus. The Eagles ended up committing about 5 fouls in the span of about 5 seconds of game time. Pretty crazy, but it just showed how much the refs let the girls play all night and didn't call a bunch of touch fouls. I liked it.
withoutadoubt Wrote:They wont make it past the first game. 15th region is weak. Being champs of it is meaningless.

What a stupid comment. Winning region is meaningless? It means you were the best team in your region, and you get a banner hung in the gym for it. It means you will be one of the last 16 girls teams left playing in the state of Kentucky. And it means the players get to experience going to Bowling Green and participating in the Sweet Sixteen.

Sounds pretty meaningful to me. :rockon:
withoutadoubt Wrote:Where are all the JC people tonight?

Uh driving home, after giving Pike County more money like every year we travel to the Pike County Regional tournament!!!!:Thumbs:

On a serious note, Congrats to Valley and good luck to them next week at Diddle and Congrats to our Lady Eagles on a GREAT season. Picked 4th in our district preseason and end up with 20 win season, District Champs and Regional runner up in Darrin Rice's first season at JC. Very proud of these young ladies.....Start of something great in Eagleville!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrat's to the Lady Wildcats. Great game from JC Eagles! :Thumbs:
withoutadoubt Wrote:They wont make it past the first game. 15th region is weak. Being champs of it is meaningless.

Half the teams there don't make it past the first round...smh

It's ALMOST as meaningful as deriding the dreams of teenagers on an Internet message board anonymously. Almost.
Eagle Eye Wrote:Uh driving home, after giving Pike County more money like every year we travel to the Pike County Regional tournament!!!!:Thumbs:
On a serious note, Congrats to Valley and good luck to them next week at Diddle and Congrats to our Lady Eagles on a GREAT season. Picked 4th in our district preseason and end up with 20 win season, District Champs and Regional runner up in Darrin Rice's first season at JC. Very proud of these young ladies.....Start of something great in Eagleville!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with this quip. I hope the tournament has an agreement with the Host School each year that they at least receive a portion of the gate and exorbitant concessions.
Eagle Eye Wrote:Uh driving home, after giving Pike County more money like every year we travel to the Pike County Regional tournament!!!!:Thumbs:

They appreciate your money:hilarious:
Congrats young ladies. Good luck at State.
Congrats on the win and good luck in State...