Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Your Program's Top 5 teams?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just like the football thread, list the top 5 teams in your school's history. Should get some good discussion going here.
Paintsville

1997-Finished 33-4 I believe. Many believe that this team was the best in program history. Most people blame officials for losses but this one really has some substance. Tigers had a comfortable lead in the Semi's against Highlands but lose the lead and then the game in OT. One of the officials in this game ended up being suspended by the KHSAA after they reviewed the tape for his horrendous, one-sided officiating down the stretch that allowed the Bluebirds to make the comeback.

1998-Not sure of a final record but had a marginable lead in the finals that year when Tackett went out with injury. Was also a Top 10 team in the country at one point during the season. The craziest thing about the finals was that it was a rematch between Scott Co. and Paintsville after they played each other earlier in the year in a pre-season game at Paintsville. Scott Co. won both meetings.

1987-Pelphrey(UK), Couch(UK Football), Pelphrey(ETSU), Minix, Adkins(Notre Dame). First Final Four team in team history.

1996-State Championship year. Last 10 loss team to win it all, albeit many of their losses came from national tournaments including one in Vegas where they played against Mike Bibby. Starting five was 6'10, 6'9, 6'7, 6'3, 6'2.

1986-Don't know a whole lot about them other than many of the key players off the 1987 team were a year younger.

I am looking forward to JR's book to learn a lot more about my former stomping grounds. I'm sure he can fill us in with more details.
DALE Wrote:Paintsville

1997-Finished 33-4 I believe. Many believe that this team was the best in program history. Most people blame officials for losses but this one really has some substance. Tigers had a comfortable lead in the Semi's against Highlands but lose the lead and then the game in OT. One of the officials in this game ended up being suspended by the KHSAA after they reviewed the tape for his horrendous, one-sided officiating down the stretch that allowed the Bluebirds to make the comeback.

1998-Not sure of a final record but had a marginable lead in the finals that year when Tackett went out with injury. Was also a Top 10 team in the country at one point during the season. The craziest thing about the finals was that it was a rematch between Scott Co. and Paintsville after they played each other earlier in the year in a pre-season game at Paintsville. Scott Co. won both meetings.

1987-Pelphrey(UK), Couch(UK Football), Pelphrey(ETSU), Minix, Adkins(Notre Dame). First Final Four team in team history.

1996-State Championship year. Last 10 loss team to win it all, albeit many of their losses came from national tournaments including one in Vegas where they played against Mike Bibby. Starting five was 6'10, 6'9, 6'7, 6'3, 6'2.

1986-Don't know a whole lot about them other than many of the key players off the 1987 team were a year younger.

I am looking forward to JR's book to learn a lot more about my former stomping grounds. I'm sure he can fill us in with more details.

Dale, some great teams you mentioned. It's hard to rank those particular teams, each was unique in their own way!
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Dale, some great teams you mentioned. It's hard to rank those particular teams, each was unique in their own way!

All I know is that the run from 95-98 was probably my favorite time while growing up. Countless days my brother and I play on the nerf goal or making our own basket out of shoe boxes, listening to you guys on the radio trying to imitate the action that we heard from John Doug and Garry McKenzie on the play by play. A lot of key role players helped on those teams; Kyle Adams, Mike Short, Jason Conley, Derek Howard, Mark Grim, Mitchell Grim, Josh Greiner, Jimmy Wayne Frazier, etc. Everyone knew you were a nightly 20-10 guy but a lot of these guy played a pivotal part in some manner that added to the success. Great times that many kids never have the chance to experience has provided me with a life time full of memories. For that, I just want to say thank you for being such a humble guy, always taking time out to sign autographs or giving 5 minutes of your time for a chat that ended up being the focus of 3 weeks of constant conversation around the house. Class act all the way.
DALE Wrote:All I know is that the run from 95-98 was probably my favorite time while growing up. Countless days my brother and I play on the nerf goal or making our own basket out of shoe boxes, listening to you guys on the radio trying to imitate the action that we heard from John Doug and Garry McKenzie on the play by play. A lot of key role players helped on those teams; Kyle Adams, Mike Short, Jason Conley, Derek Howard, Mark Grim, Mitchell Grim, Josh Greiner, Jimmy Wayne Frazier, etc. Everyone knew you were a nightly 20-10 guy but a lot of these guy played a pivotal part in some manner that added to the success. Great times that many kids never have the chance to experience has provided me with a life time full of memories. For that, I just want to say thank you for being such a humble guy, always taking time out to sign autographs or giving 5 minutes of your time for a chat that ended up being the focus of 3 weeks of constant conversation around the house. Class act all the way.

Thank you so much for that. I am very humbled to be mentioned in that way. I guess when you're growing up as a 16, 17, 18 year old kid you never realize the impact you have on others.

I did have great teammates and really because of them and the way we worked together is why we had so much success. It was great being able to do what we did at such a small school. It made everything that more special!