Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clay County 52- Whitley County 45
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cotton leads Clay with 17, 7th grader Shelby Phillips comes off the bench to hit 3 3's for 9 points, Sara Robinson has 9 points and 12 rebounds, Courtney Woods 8 points and 12 rebounds. Clay fell behind 6 to 0 but came back to win. If Clay hits their freethrows it's not even close. To all those who loved the draw for Whitley County, all I can say is I told you so.
I picked this one. Been saying for 2 weeks clay is playing great ball right now. Better watch out Burchell got them girls ballin right now.:welcome:
Feel bad for the Whitley seniors, who never could get a break or over the hump in region tourney... They have had a great run for three or so seasons, going to miss watching them. That being said, Clay executed game plan and really ran away with this toward the end of the 3rd by putting game out of reach.
skyhawk14 Wrote:Feel bad for the Whitley seniors, who never could get a break or over the hump in region tourney... They have had a great run for three or so seasons, going to miss watching them. That being said, Clay executed game plan and really ran away with this toward the end of the 3rd by putting game out of reach.

I agree....I hate this for the Whitley seniors. They are a very talented team that just couldnt get over the hump.

I can't wait to hear what conspiracy theory the Whizzard will come up with. I'm sure he will blame it on the arena and Corbin.
I was very impressed with Clay tonight. They seem to be that team that is peaking at the right time.
This tourney is living up to the hype and like most said is pretty wide open... However, most would have been surprised a month ago if you told them Clay and Harlan City would be playing for a spot in the final.
A tough loss for the Colonels, but Clay Co. is playing like a team on a mission right now.

Congrats to the Whitley seniors for the way you represented your school and also on great high school careers.
Burchell shows why he is the best coach in the region and it is not even close. I have been saying all year nobody will want to play Harlan Ind. come tourney time. This will be a great game. Probably the top two coaches in the region meeting can't wait.
Lets call it what it was, a loss.

Clay got all of the loose balls, Whitley couldn't throw it in the ocean.
It was eventually going to catch up to them.

I was glad to see how even the region was this year. Whitleys has some very good young girls all the way down into middle school, so they'll be fine.

I have to ask though, what did Whitley expect? Ive been rather supportive and quiet ever since Anderson left, but your going to hire the assistant of the guy that choked for 20+ years in region and expect anything different?

I would have liked to see what a really good coach could have done with this team over the past 4 years. These girls were really good. Smith never got into the groove like she has the last 3 years, call it play calling or whatever you will, but I think Whitley made a mistake going away from her in a lot of games. She will be sorely missed. Except for Heather Taylor, I don't know of a better player to wear a Lady Colonels uniform.

Congrats to Clay. They were well prepared and Burchell outcoached Jones from the tip. They got Craig in foul trouble, and his players were light out, especially from 3.
I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the four remaining teams win region.
Tough loss but I was not surprised. Say what you want my rankings were close in the end. Sorry for whizzard.
Great job Lady Tigers!
Congrats and good luck to Burchell and CC Tigers.Smile
oldhound70s Wrote:I agree....I hate this for the Whitley seniors. They are a very talented team that just couldnt get over the hump.

I can't wait to hear what conspiracy theory the Whizzard will come up with. I'm sure he will blame it on the arena and Corbin.
Why are you always talking Conspiracy??? Do you know something we should all know??? This was the best Ref'd game of the year! Whitley just didn't do what got them this far.....They had a great year and I am very happy for the 3 seniors that will be moving on to the next level and continue playing....Congrats Clay Co.... you played one heck of a ballgame!! I will be rooting for you to win it all!!:Cheerlead:popcorn::betterthanexpected:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Lets call it what it was, a loss.

Clay got all of the loose balls, Whitley couldn't throw it in the ocean.
It was eventually going to catch up to them.

I was glad to see how even the region was this year. Whitleys has some very good young girls all the way down into middle school, so they'll be fine.

I have to ask though, what did Whitley expect? Ive been rather supportive and quiet ever since Anderson left, but your going to hire the assistant of the guy that choked for 20+ years in region and expect anything different?

I would have liked to see what a really good coach could have done with this team over the past 4 years. These girls were really good. Smith never got into the groove like she has the last 3 years, call it play calling or whatever you will, but I think Whitley made a mistake going away from her in a lot of games. She will be sorely missed. Except for Heather Taylor, I don't know of a better player to wear a Lady Colonels uniform.

Congrats to Clay. They were well prepared and Burchell outcoached Jones from the tip. They got Craig in foul trouble, and his players were light out, especially from 3.
I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the four remaining teams win region.

I could be wrong, but I don't remember any second guessing at all when the new coach was announced. All the Whitley fans seemed happy.
Congrats Clay
HDE Wrote:I could be wrong, but I don't remember any second guessing at all when the new coach was announced. All the Whitley fans seemed happy.

There are two Whitley fans on this site that talk girls bball.
Wizzard, who was just happy to see Anderson gone, and me, who said ill wait until the season is over to comment lol.
I found the original story, and I was wrong. You both did question it at the time, just nothing negative during the year.
I always thought Anderson was a good coach though.
HDE Wrote:I found the original story, and I was wrong. You both did question it at the time, just nothing negative during the year.
I always thought Anderson was a good coach though.

You spend way to much time trying to prove me wrong :biggrin:
All you have to do is read your posts and you will prove yourself wrong...lol. Like the comment and Clay earlier in the prediction's. Like don't even respond to Lilly rankings threads. Well Lilly has forgot more about basketball than you or the mighty whizzerd knows. This one was sweet.......
Good game.
Lilly Wrote:All you have to do is read your posts and you will prove yourself wrong...lol. Like the comment and Clay earlier in the prediction's. Like don't even respond to Lilly rankings threads. Well Lilly has forgot more about basketball than you or the mighty whizzerd knows. This one was sweet.......

If my biggest goal in life was to know more about basketball than you'll ever know, id be a sad, sad man.

Your rankings were never dead on. Sorry, but I have to get in bed for work. Don't forget to cash in my tax dollars later this week.
Will do. Whatever that means. It has been fun watching you all be so wrong all year. I will say I have enjoyed it with all the other Corbin fans.
I called this game from the start......Clay is playing their best ball right now......I believe they would have a better match up with Corbin than with Bell if Clay makes it to the finals. The semifinals and finals are going to be great games though. This is the first year in a long time that both the boys and the girls regions are balanced to where 3-4 teams are capable of winning it......
New coach. Same results.
Lilly Wrote:Will do. Whatever that means. It has been fun watching you all be so wrong all year. I will say I have enjoyed it with all the other Corbin fans.
Your overwhelming joy....... at someone else's disappointment.......speaks volumes about yours and several others character.... Sad......this is high school girls basketball least you forget. There are several young ladies who gave it all they had and don't deserve your garbage! So go ahead and pat yourself on the back....at the expense of others....because we all know the old adage, "what goes around comes around" and it's bound to come around to you!!!:lame:
Lilly Wrote:Will do. Whatever that means. It has been fun watching you all be so wrong all year. I will say I have enjoyed it with all the other Corbin fans.

I don't recall anyone else skipping from one region to the other trolling on teams. I haven't said a word about SW all year, when there was plenty of times I could have...
E's Army Wrote:New coach. Same results.

I hear they have another daddy!!!! I' mean coach in waitingConfusednicker:
cherokee Wrote:I hear they have another daddy!!!! I' mean coach in waitingConfusednicker:

They'll never change or learn. It costed them again.
Basketball Wizzard Wrote:Why are you always talking Conspiracy??? Do you know something we should all know??? This was the best Ref'd game of the year! Whitley just didn't do what got them this far.....They had a great year and I am very happy for the 3 seniors that will be moving on to the next level and continue playing....Congrats Clay Co.... you played one heck of a ballgame!! I will be rooting for you to win it all!!:Cheerlead:popcorn::betterthanexpected:

Just saying you always have an excuse and it normally centers around refs and Corbin. I'm glad to see you taking this loss as an adult for once. I too will miss the Whitley seniors...they are great kids. I wish their coach and most fans had the class that they do.