Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Middle School QBs to High School
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Where are the middle school Qb's going to high school? Lot of good young QBs out there and I did see in some threads where there was some discussion that some kids may go to a different high school or go to a private school. Did hear the JCTMS kid may be going to Male. Any other rumors out there?
I thought the kid from JCTMS was going to St.X. They sure lost a good one.
He is definitely going to Male. He is already involved in their freshman workouts.
I wonder who is going to St X, Trinity and Manual then.
wonder why he is going to Male? what high schools does JCTMS feed into?
In JCPS our kids are allowed to apply to any high school. We don't really have feeder schools. We have 'home' schools but those are the schools that you live near. Most kids apply to other schools, such as Ballard, Male, Manual, Central. They get to list their top two and then after that come may they can try open enrollment into any high school.

If they still don't get into the high school they want they go to their home school.

PS

Trinity and X are not listed on the choices, they are private and must be applied to by anyone attempting to go.

We are sending one of ours to trinity.
That is why JCPS schools all suck but about 2.
Which 2 would that be? I know you would say Farnsley just wonder who the next if?
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:In JCPS our kids are allowed to apply to any high school. We don't really have feeder schools. We have 'home' schools but those are the schools that you live near. Most kids apply to other schools, such as Ballard, Male, Manual, Central. They get to list their top two and then after that come may they can try open enrollment into any high school.

If they still don't get into the high school they want they go to their home school.

PS

Trinity and X are not listed on the choices, they are private and must be applied to by anyone attempting to go.

We are sending one of ours to trinity.

Must be nice. Imagine if kids could essentially choose where they'd like to go to school in Pulaski County or even Whitley County. You'd see a merge of Pulaski, Southwestern, and Somerset. Or a merge of Whitley, Corbin, and Williamsburg. Would be very tough to beat. NO ONE should beat the Louisville schools if they play their cards right. I would view anything less than a championship out of Louisville a disappointment.
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:Which 2 would that be? I know you would say Farnsley just wonder who the next if?

I wouldn't say Farnsley. They're one of the best programs up there in my opinion. I believe their coaching staff has split in the last year or so, I may be wrong about that. From my experiences, Farnsley and JCTMS would be my top 2. Never really impressed with Crosby. Westport seems to have good years according to the competition they play, but history shows they usually vastly underachieve based on their season performance. I'm hoping the new staff can change my view on that. The last staff liked to preach it up and choose all his kids for the all-star teams, then drop out in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs.
Wildcat I agree to the power programs in the city it's tough...year end year out you have to compete against the best programs, trinity and st. X, even though they have a down year it's tough for them. Our kids here get to apply to 2 schools as there favorite, then in May they can try to open enroll at any of the schools. But they all need to keep grades up and test scores up.

They have thought about going back to just having the kids enroll in higher "home" school but with each school offering different career programs it would make it hard to do that in high school.

And I would completely agree with you about the team ranks...I think Farnsley has proven to be one of the most consistent teams in JCPS, it will be interesting to see how the coaching change affects them. JCTMS is also going through a coaching change but return a lot of talent from last years Teams.
some change in this part of the state from the rumor mill that Coach Foley at northern is moving on to a Varsity asst job. Big shoes to fill there for Northern Pulaski if it's true.
Seems to be a lot more coaching changes at the bigger middle schools this year....
Cardfan1 Wrote:some change in this part of the state from the rumor mill that Coach Foley at northern is moving on to a Varsity asst job. Big shoes to fill there for Northern Pulaski if it's true.

I'm about 99.9% sure he will be at Northern Pulaski this year as he has already started workouts. He has been offered multiple high school assistant positions the past couple of years around this area, but has decided to remain at Northern. Looked into an offer from Southwestern, but that situation changed about 3 weeks ago. However, another school is inquiring now about a possible head coach in waiting scenario. I'm not sure if he'll seriously entertain that or not.

On another note, how is Wayne looking so far?
Shows how far behind I am. Either way good ms coaches deserve some cred and a good look from high schools. Tough to run a successful ms program.

Working hard in the weightroom. Looking forward to getting out and passing if the weather holds out.
Your high school success shows how good of a job you all are doing at the middle school at WC. I don't care what other people say, success does translate from middle to high school if it is ran the right way top to bottom. I feel ya on the weather. You all in any of the upcoming passing tournaments?
We are in the Derby City(Westports tournament), Frankfort MS and the UK 7on7 passing tournaments for sure...might do one more but not sure
Wildcat18 Wrote:Your high school success shows how good of a job you all are doing at the middle school at WC. I don't care what other people say, success does translate from middle to high school if it is ran the right way top to bottom. I feel ya on the weather. You all in any of the upcoming passing tournaments?

A good ms program means you basically have 6 yrs to develop a kid instead of 4. I like my chances with having two more years.

We are hosting one that has a lot of regional teams: pulaskis, laurels, meece, Monroe, Casey, Corbin. Then we are going to Glasgow and then uk.

Passing football isn't real football but it is exciting and kids love it. In our school it really helps getting those athletes out that may normally focus on basketball.
When it comes to weight lifting, what kinda stuff do out I all do with your boys? I want to get ours into more lifting but have stayed away from it so far. My kids work a lot of plyo, cardio and do a lot of sled work, but as far as strength it's only bodyweight.
We're in UK's, Wayne's, and Westport's I believe.

I second that the 7on7's help get guys out who may be primarily focused on other sports. Increases the interest seems like. I love contact, but I have just as much fun at the passing events than anything else. The UK tourney is a great experience for the guys. I remember last year when Coach Stoops stopped by our sideline to watch us play for a bit and speak to some of our boys while roaming all the games going on at the practice fields. You could see their eyes light up (while some didn't have a clue who he was as the "new guy" LOL).

Does UofL still hold their passing tournament?
Currently they do not hold a tournament...hopeful they will start one up...but as of right now Westport holds a tournament and it has grown every year...this year we are up to over 20 teams...
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:When it comes to weight lifting, what kinda stuff do out I all do with your boys? I want to get ours into more lifting but have stayed away from it so far. My kids work a lot of plyo, cardio and do a lot of sled work, but as far as strength it's only bodyweight.

We do basic football lifts: Focusing on form and modifying to feature 3 rep maxes instead of 1 rep maxes. Works out to about 75% to 80% of what they can actually do.

All spring we get only two days in the weightroom, but during the summer up until the school dead period we do 3 days. We also lift in season to maintain.

Unfortunately we fight the battle that most jr high programs do with parents concerning weightlifting myths. We just preach good form and common sense. I don't care to sit down with parents and help ease their worries about broken growth plates and becoming muscle bound.
We have a similar plan. Lift and speed/agility work 3 days a week. We preach strictly form for the first few weeks with light weight. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Yeah there is a lot of misperceptions on the whole lifting at an early age with parents. It is a myth. There is plenty of research out there that is easy to find to help back you up on that. We've had to show our share of that to parents as well. We also preach nutrition and eating right during the entire working out experience. For the most part, the kids buy into it. It's fulfilling when you see them actually "get it" when they see that it's working.